3.65/166 UT? retake worth it?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tdicks

3.65/166 UT? retake worth it?

Postby tdicks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:35 am

so, i just got my lsat score back and it was much lower than i was anticipating. my cold diagnostic was a 160 and i haven't gotten something as low as a 166 since then (overall PT avg was 171, last month of PTs was 174, week before test I did a 177 and a 180). my gut tells me i could get a better score, but then again, my gut would have never guessed i'd get a 166 in the first place.

i really, really want to go to UT. i have no interest in big law, would ideally practice in texas, and would like to do child advocacy or adoption, mayyyyybe family law.

i'm listed as "consider" at UT but i'm not totally sure what that means? 50%? i looked at lsn, and there are like, 4 dots with my numbers which are all different (accept/reject/urm/non urm/etc). do i have an actual shot at getting in? how much of bump would i need to secure that? since i don't want big law/want to practice in texas how big of a deal is it to go to U of H instead?

i'm currently living in shanghai, and retaking would strain me financially as it involves a flight to hong kong (oct test not offered on the mainland), hotel, etc on top of the registration fee and i am making a chinese wage (aka- i'm way poor). since the test takes place the day after a major chinese holiday, it would also cost me a trip to nepal. i know none of that really matters if i could bump my score to a 170+, but i would be SUPER PISSED if i got a gd 166 again.

also, since i was anticipating like a 173-175, my entire school list has been thrown out the window. any other schools i should be considering that could get me back to texas? sorry if this post is ridiculous/all over the place, but i just got my scores back today and am having a panic attack and can't think through this properly by myself right now. any advice/input would be much appreciated, even if it's not what i want to hear!

maximator

Re: 3.65/166 UT? retake worth it?

Postby maximator » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:44 am

Is there any very compelling reason for applying this cycle? Could you work another year in China and retake when it is more convenient?

If there is not, it does not seem like it is worth it to give up your trip to Nepal / put a financial strain on yourself.

It seems like a lot of your problems with retaking have to do with needing to go to law school next year. Just remember law school isn't going anywhere and you can always apply a couple years down the road.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Retake is definitely worth it. Your current numbers make you a borderline candidate, but a 169+ will likely get you scholarship $. Also, a score closer to your PTs will give you options at even better schools, and scholarships at those schools may help you leverage more $ out of UT if you are still dead-set on going there.

PS: Love your tar.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 pm

maximator wrote:Is there any very compelling reason for applying this cycle? Could you work another year in China and retake when it is more convenient?

If there is not, it does not seem like it is worth it to give up your trip to Nepal / put a financial strain on yourself.

It seems like a lot of your problems with retaking have to do with needing to go to law school next year. Just remember law school isn't going anywhere and you can always apply a couple years down the road.

+1

It sounds like retaking in October is going to stress you out and might not put you in the best frame of mind to take the exam.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:40 pm

I really think you should retake. If you can score in the mid-high 170's I believe you could be looking at 40k+ from UT. I really don't think you should consider UH without a retake. It's tough to say how much of a difference it will make in helping you reach your goals since statistics aren't as readily available as they are for biglaw hiring, but I believe it would be pretty substantial. Sticker price at UH is comparable to UT anyways and they are pretty stingy with money from what I understand. You could probably get some $$ from SMU with your numbers, but a retake could put you in a much better situation.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:42 pm

tdicks wrote:i really, really want to go to UT. i have no interest in big law, would ideally practice in texas, and would like to do child advocacy or adoption, mayyyyybe family law.

Then why would you take UT at sticker over a large scholarship to SMU or Houston?

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
tdicks wrote:i really, really want to go to UT. i have no interest in big law, would ideally practice in texas, and would like to do child advocacy or adoption, mayyyyybe family law.

Then why would you take UT at sticker over a large scholarship to SMU or Houston?

I'll try to fill in. Houston doesn't give out much money. SMU does, but whatever money you get is being subtracted from 40k. IIRC UT's sticker price for a Texas resident is around 27k or so. Paying another 8k or so a year to attend UT over SMU makes sense for just about any career goals. I'm not sure what #'s it takes to get full tuition from SMU. OP can correct me if I'm wrong.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 pm

OP is in with $ at SMU with current numbers

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:03 am

thanks for all the advice. i've slept on it and calmed down, and decided that it's definitely worth a retake. just 2 or 3 points makes a huge difference on LSP, and if i could get to my PT average it would be a complete game changer. i've have been in china for 3 years already, so it will be 4 when i move back to the states. since i've decided what i want to do with my life, i have no interest in stalling for another year over a trip to nepal. i've also started researching T1 schools that i'm consider to admit at and am readjusting incase october doesn't go any better than june did.

on that note, i was curious about what everyone was saying about SMU? do they really give enough money to make up the tuition difference between them and in state at U of H?? dallas isn't my first choice city, but i could definitely live there if there was a significant price difference... i just always thought it was a price difference that worked against SMU?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:18 am

Let's be honest. No 0L really knows what they want to do 100%. You should retake for UT, because you won't get in.

Also SMU gets a ton of love. Why is that?

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:36 am

flexityflex86 wrote:Also SMU gets a ton of love. Why is that?

Because it is a pretty good option if you want to stay in Texas and they offer generous schollys meaning you can graduate with less debt than you can at many 'peer schools'

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 am

tdicks wrote:on that note, i was curious about what everyone was saying about SMU? do they really give enough money to make up the tuition difference between them and in state at U of H?? dallas isn't my first choice city, but i could definitely live there if there was a significant price difference... i just always thought it was a price difference that worked against SMU?

SMU has a pretty high sticker price, but IIRC your numbers probably get 20-25k a year there making it cheaper than UH instate. If you want you can check out lawschoolnumbers.com to get a better idea.

flexityflex86 wrote:Also SMU gets a ton of love. Why is that?

A ton of love might be pushing it, but for biglaw they outperform their relative rank and place comparable to WUSTL, UIUC, ND, etc.

japes

Postby japes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:27 pm

2 points on the LSAT and you'll be in what would have been scholly range this year. Retake.

idratherbetraveling

Postby idratherbetraveling » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 pm

UT with those numbers is definitely possible, especially if you're in-state -- and it sounds like you have good softs (anecdotal evidence: 165/3.7 got this out-of-stater in). That said, I don't know if you've visited other schools, but anything can happen and you might want more geographic options in 10 months or a year from now. And II don't know what the reason was that you underperformed your average on your LSAT, but I would say do whatever you need to do to prevent it and retake.

Return to “What are my chances?”