3.95/172 poor discip. record

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
glastonbury91
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 pm

3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby glastonbury91 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Well, I've kind of been a lurker here for a while, and haven't found a thread that quite addresses my situation. My stats are 3.95 and 172, and I am a non-Mexican/PR hispanic. I have two blemishes on my disciplinary record, which are an expunged citation (no conviction) related to pot possession, and disciplinary probation again related to pot my sophomore year.

What are my T14 chances? Will my poor record preclude me from even the lower T14's? I'd appreciate any insight (PM's welcome).

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 pm

glastonbury91 wrote:Well, I've kind of been a lurker here for a while, and haven't found a thread that quite addresses my situation. My stats are 3.95 and 172, and I am a non-Mexican/PR hispanic. I have two blemishes on my disciplinary record, which are an expunged citation (no conviction) related to pot possession, and disciplinary probation again related to pot my sophomore year.

What are my T14 chances? Will my poor record preclude me from even the lower T14's? I'd appreciate any insight (PM's welcome).


Was the citation dismissed or convicted and expunged, diversion program etc?

User avatar
iamnooneelse
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby iamnooneelse » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:30 pm

I don't think this will bring you down. Write an addendum, disclose both issues regardless of whether or not they've been expunged. Young and dumb -> still didn't learn lesson -> learned that there are tangible consequences to actions and decided to stop acting out of character and instead devoted self to academics.

glastonbury91
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby glastonbury91 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:00 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
glastonbury91 wrote:Well, I've kind of been a lurker here for a while, and haven't found a thread that quite addresses my situation. My stats are 3.95 and 172, and I am a non-Mexican/PR hispanic. I have two blemishes on my disciplinary record, which are an expunged citation (no conviction) related to pot possession, and disciplinary probation again related to pot my sophomore year.

What are my T14 chances? Will my poor record preclude me from even the lower T14's? I'd appreciate any insight (PM's welcome).


Was the citation dismissed or convicted and expunged, diversion program etc?


It was dismissed and expunged.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby bhan87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 am

glastonbury91 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
glastonbury91 wrote:Well, I've kind of been a lurker here for a while, and haven't found a thread that quite addresses my situation. My stats are 3.95 and 172, and I am a non-Mexican/PR hispanic. I have two blemishes on my disciplinary record, which are an expunged citation (no conviction) related to pot possession, and disciplinary probation again related to pot my sophomore year.

What are my T14 chances? Will my poor record preclude me from even the lower T14's? I'd appreciate any insight (PM's welcome).


Was the citation dismissed or convicted and expunged, diversion program etc?


It was dismissed and expunged.


Don't think it precludes you completely, but it might ding you slightly. But, your numbers are amazing, so I would think at least a few T14s will take you. If you can afford it, having a few years between UG and applications will help minimize the damage as you can attribute the disciplinary record to reckless youthfulness and demonstrate how you've matured over the years.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby xChiTowNx » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:52 am

How many years would you say you would need to have between your UG and applications to minimize the damage? Just curious as I will be writing an addendum as well.

bhan87 wrote:
Don't think it precludes you completely, but it might ding you slightly. But, your numbers are amazing, so I would think at least a few T14s will take you. If you can afford it, having a few years between UG and applications will help minimize the damage as you can attribute the disciplinary record to reckless youthfulness and demonstrate how you've matured over the years.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:27 am

OP's numbers are so strong, and pot such a frequently used substance that most of the admission people probably experimented with themselves that i doubt this will have any significant influence. I also don't think it's an issue where a school will say, "Oh we're #12, and he has top 5 #"s so we'll take him" or a top 5 saying, "Oh, pot makes him more #12 material."

I think it's just an issue that a particular school may care, and deny you where as most schools won't pay it much thought. Obviously, schools outside the t-14 might just see this as an opportunity to grab you.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby bartleby » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:27 am

for pot? i'd say 2 years from the incident and you're fine. it isn't like you were selling pot or had huge quantities of cocaine.
Last edited by bartleby on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:28 am

btw the expunged citation is not a big deal. most schools dont ask about that.

glastonbury91
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby glastonbury91 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:10 am

Thank you for the candid responses. I guess it will depend a lot on the admissions officers. While I do not wish to justify my record, I am somewhat comforted by the fact that a lot of the places I am applying to are in states where these incidents would not have even mattered. Still it cannot help me, so there will be that bit of anxiety until the end.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:07 pm

glastonbury91 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
glastonbury91 wrote:Well, I've kind of been a lurker here for a while, and haven't found a thread that quite addresses my situation. My stats are 3.95 and 172, and I am a non-Mexican/PR hispanic. I have two blemishes on my disciplinary record, which are an expunged citation (no conviction) related to pot possession, and disciplinary probation again related to pot my sophomore year.

What are my T14 chances? Will my poor record preclude me from even the lower T14's? I'd appreciate any insight (PM's welcome).


Was the citation dismissed or convicted and expunged, diversion program etc?


It was dismissed and expunged.


FWIW some applications only ask for convictions (off the top of my head I think Harvard is one). The C&F is another matter, but I don't think it will supremely have an adverse impact on your admission.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm

glastonbury91 wrote:Thank you for the candid responses. I guess it will depend a lot on the admissions officers. While I do not wish to justify my record, I am somewhat comforted by the fact that a lot of the places I am applying to are in states where these incidents would not have even mattered. Still it cannot help me, so there will be that bit of anxiety until the end.


Where are you applying? I think you should blanket the T14 and a few safeties. For schools that ask about mere arrests, just be forthcoming and provide an addendum that goes straight to the point and demonstrates remorse. A number of schools in the T14 are only concerned with convictions but states like Florida utilize Gestapo tactics during C&F that would make Stalin himself, proud. In any case, you'll get in somewhere worth going with your numbers. Also, apply early and seriously blanket the T14 including Yale if you can afford it. The worst that can happen is a rejection.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 pm

OP: I don't think the record is any more likely to hurt you at top schools than it is at law schools. Some people will be offended by it, and some won't. I doubt that a TTT is going to go, "Oh we're a TTT so even though I hate pot, it's okay." If anything they'd use it to hold back on scholarship money. Conversely, somebody at a t-5 might know what it's like to be young. I think if anything schools more confident about their placement would be more inclined to not rush to judge the situation.

rgndvo
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby rgndvo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 pm

I would ask for some professional help on this matter, because it could have a profound impact on your life. Maybe email Annie Ivey, who gives great advice in the admissions process. Certainly don't disclose if the form says that only "convictions" should be listed.
Last edited by rgndvo on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby buckilaw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:47 am

I doubt this will affect your cycle much, if at all. What you might want to do is email schools you are going to apply to when apps come out and ask exactly how they would like you to disclose this stuff, if you should disclose it at all, and if they would like an addendum. Just be proactive about it and it should be no big deal.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby cubswin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:02 pm

I had a fairly recent possession of marijuana charge on my record and was accepted to two T14s, one of which awarded me a partial scholarship. (My LSAT was similar, but my GPA was much lower.) It definitely affected my cycle, but it obviously didn't ruin it. I think you just need to spread your application around a bit more than you otherwise might have since you don't know how each particular school is going to react. I was waitlisted/rejected at a few Tier 2 schools, and the folks in admissions at a few places explicitly told me it was because of the charge, though I suspect the likelihood of me actually attending their school based on my LSAT played a role in their decision too.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:50 pm

cubswin wrote:I had a fairly recent possession of marijuana charge on my record and was accepted to two T14s, one of which awarded me a partial scholarship. (My LSAT was similar, but my GPA was much lower.) It definitely affected my cycle, but it obviously didn't ruin it. I think you just need to spread your application around a bit more than you otherwise might have since you don't know how each particular school is going to react. I was waitlisted/rejected at a few Tier 2 schools, and the folks in admissions at a few places explicitly told me it was because of the charge, though I suspect the likelihood of me actually attending their school based on my LSAT played a role in their decision too.


Did you under-perform your numbers with respect to the T14?

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: 3.95/172 poor discip. record

Postby cubswin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
cubswin wrote:I had a fairly recent possession of marijuana charge on my record and was accepted to two T14s, one of which awarded me a partial scholarship. (My LSAT was similar, but my GPA was much lower.) It definitely affected my cycle, but it obviously didn't ruin it. I think you just need to spread your application around a bit more than you otherwise might have since you don't know how each particular school is going to react. I was waitlisted/rejected at a few Tier 2 schools, and the folks in admissions at a few places explicitly told me it was because of the charge, though I suspect the likelihood of me actually attending their school based on my LSAT played a role in their decision too.


Did you under-perform your numbers with respect to the T14?


I wouldn't say so. I had a 171/3.5, so nothing in the top 10 should have been a lock. I mostly got wait-listed in the T14 where I didn't get in. Michigan flat out rejected me (twice) though, which I think would typically be a good fit for my numbers. Still, I don't know if I can reasonably attribute my lack of success there directly to the charge.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest