3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cmanheim
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby cmanheim » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Okay softs and work experience, recommendations should be great.
I'd be coming straight from undergrad at Emory University.

So far, I'm looking to apply to Penn, Michigan, Georgetown, Boston University, and Cornell, most likely ED at Penn or Michigan.

Chance me, please?
Last edited by cmanheim on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 pm

I have similar stats, but my work experience is just shitty call center work.

I got rejected from Mich, WL at Penn, in to Gtown, WL at BU, and defer (Early Action) to in at Cornell.

Why not UVA or Northwestern? Shooting for east coast I take it?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:15 pm

NU for sure. UVA would be a lock with ED, possible without. CCN apps are worth it but not likely with that GPA.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby glewz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Zero's case is the exception, not the rule (No offense Zero, just trying to give OP some good advice). I think this is him/her:
3.46/180 --> WL or reject @ nearly all T14, which indicates to me that there might have been a red flag in his/her application: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/zero256


But take a look at the others. This is an exhaustive list of people on LSN with a similar profile to yours. Of the following 9 people, three didn't get CCN (and for clear reasons that wouldn't apply to you). OP, you need to ED to CCN, not Penn/Michigan, unless of course you have a strong preference for either of the two schools.

3.43/180 --> Columbia: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jhey89
3.34/180 --> NYU: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/seinfeldfan
3.3/180 --> UVa, (though incomplete profile): http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ishe
3.26/179 --> NYU: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Siamsa414
3.4/177 --> NYU: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Bruinfan
3.35/177 --> U-Illinois (but he only applied to ONE T14, which was UVa): http://lawschoolnumbers.com/JoeFish
3.3/177 --> UPenn ($60,000): http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dresch
3.3/177 --> WL @ CN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Gladstone
3.28/177 --> NYU: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cressida

eli88
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:04 am

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby eli88 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Target CCN, not MVP. If I were you, I'd ED to Columbia and apply to Chicago & NYU. You're almost guaranteed in at one of them. Good luck!

cmanheim
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby cmanheim » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:21 am

Wow, thanks guys! I had originally intended on applying to Columbia ED, but was discouraged when I looked at LSN. Most of the people with stats similar to mine who got in were either URM or from an Ivy, and I fit neither of those. Also, the general consensus on my chances to Columbia has been rather dismal. I figured Penn and Michigan were more likely and realistic.

cmanheim
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby cmanheim » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:23 am

Z3RO wrote:I have similar stats, but my work experience is just shitty call center work.

I got rejected from Mich, WL at Penn, in to Gtown, WL at BU, and defer (Early Action) to in at Cornell.

Why not UVA or Northwestern? Shooting for east coast I take it?


Yeah, been in the south all my life, so UVA hits a little too close to home. I'm interested in NYC biglaw, so I'm trying to keep it on the east coast.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby glewz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 am

cmanheim wrote:Wow, thanks guys! I had originally intended on applying to Columbia ED, but was discouraged when I looked at LSN. Most of the people with stats similar to mine who got in were either URM or from an Ivy, and I fit neither of those. Also, the general consensus on my chances to Columbia has been rather dismal. I figured Penn and Michigan were more likely and realistic.

Put together a strong application to MVP RD and hope for scholarships. You have plenty of time to write their supplementals - essay topics haven't changed very much from year to year.

Edit: Also, NYU seems a bit more lenient towards the lower GPAs, so you might consider EDing there.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:23 am

If you have patience I think you should not do ED and let your application ride at CCN and MVP. With CCN you're looking at WL -> A and decent chance at A /w $ at one of MVP. ED to CCN would give you a much better chance of an outright A, but then you'll have no non-sticker options via MVP.

Good luck and congrats on doing so well on the LSAT. :)

cmanheim
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby cmanheim » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:39 am

Thanks again for the feedback. Now, this is slightly more irrelevant, but I was wondering how the prestige of the schools are in comparison to one another. I know CCN is in a league of its own, but what about MVP in relation to one another and the other T14?

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:12 am

cmanheim wrote:Thanks again for the feedback. Now, this is slightly more irrelevant, but I was wondering how the prestige of the schools are in comparison to one another. I know CCN is in a league of its own, but what about MVP in relation to one another and the other T14?

The reason why people use groups like HYS, CCN, and MVP is because the schools grouped together are generally considered to be peer schools. Roughly: Y = H = S > C = C = N > M = V = P > other T14 (in terms of "prestige").

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: 3.4 GPA 180 LSAT

Postby glewz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Corwin wrote:
cmanheim wrote:Thanks again for the feedback. Now, this is slightly more irrelevant, but I was wondering how the prestige of the schools are in comparison to one another. I know CCN is in a league of its own, but what about MVP in relation to one another and the other T14?

The reason why people use groups like HYS, CCN, and MVP is because the schools grouped together are generally considered to be peer schools. Roughly: Y = H = S > C = C = N > M = V = P > other T14 (in terms of "prestige").

The gap between CCN and others is dramatically smaller than between HYS & CCN. And the difference between MVP and Duke/Northwestern/Cornell is even more minimal.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest