Admission with BA from little known online college

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NECBLSAT170

Admission with BA from little known online college

Postby NECBLSAT170 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Not sure where to post this, so I'll try here as well. Ok, so I've seen the question answered many times before on this board. I have a BA from the New England College of Business, a regionally accredited private online college in Boston. Now, I know that since it's regionally accredited, in theory I should have no problem getting in, so long as my LSAT scores are solid (which they are, I got a 170). My only real question is, since it's a little known private online college, with very very small enrollment, will that hamper my chances in any way, even with a good LSAT and GPA? I'm not so much concerned with the quality of law school I get into, just actually getting in. I'm just worried that since this school is so small, it might get looked down upon, even though it is regionally accredited. Any input or first hand experience would be appreciated! Thanks!

Gideon Strumpet

Re: Admission with BA from little known online college

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:12 am

Is it a for-profit school?

NECBLSAT170

Postby NECBLSAT170 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Yes, for profit.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:15 pm

If it doesn't say online in the school or on your transcript nobody will even know it is online.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:11 am

I have no idea how schools will look at it, defer to other users. I am just wondering why you chose to go to a for profit college. Clearly your smart, 170, so I would be interested in your reason for going because I have only heard of non-smart people going to for profits. Was it matter of getting your degree easily, or was it a unique program, or were you less smart four years ago?

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:09 pm

admisionquestion wrote:I have no idea how schools will look at it, defer to other users. I am just wondering why you chose to go to a for profit college. Clearly your smart, 170, so I would be interested in your reason for going because I have only heard of non-smart people going to for profits. Was it matter of getting your degree easily, or was it a unique program, or were you less smart four years ago?

LoL at upper middle class pretension...using a standard definition of intelligence the g quotient is stable.

Also, why do you care?

NECBLSAT170

Postby NECBLSAT170 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:24 pm

admisionquestion wrote:I have no idea how schools will look at it, defer to other users. I am just wondering why you chose to go to a for profit college. Clearly your smart, 170, so I would be interested in your reason for going because I have only heard of non-smart people going to for profits. Was it matter of getting your degree easily, or was it a unique program, or were you less smart four years ago?

I chose them because of the ability to earn the degree 100% online, and because they are regionally accredited by the NEASC. When comparing costs to other online schools, and some of them not even accredited, it was a no brainer. I work full time and then some, so brick and mortar wasn't an option. I did transfer about a year of courses from state colleges, only about 75% of the degree was earned online. I'm sure I will get accepted into plenty of law schools with my LSAT score, but will any of them be decent?

ach24

Postby ach24 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:54 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:

LoL at upper middle class pretension...using a standard definition of intelligence the g quotient is stable.

Also, why do you care?

I'm lower middle class and have been all my life but I can't blame you for misreading the exact class my pretentious web ramblings indicate.

I did not say anything about "intelligence" but I am pretty happy you took a class that covered some basic principles of pschometric so you could use the knowledge to so fruitfully contribute to online discussions. /sarcasm

If you were reading with a goal of understanding you would have seen that my post was an honest question, as the OP clearly understood.

NECBLSAT170

Postby NECBLSAT170 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Bump

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:38 pm

I know some schools look down at online schools because, honestly, online instruction is not really up to par with real life instruction (I got this from one of the TLS interviews with a dean of admissions btw). You will have to decide whether to include an addendum about the for-profit school or just hope to fly under the radar. If you worked more than full time in a job that would really require you to do an online school because of the hours or whatever, you might even be able to spin it into a positive for diverse perspectives or whatever. Even though it bad to assume this about any individual, most people in law school are actually pretty privileged so it really is a different perspective.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:41 pm

i say no addendum

NECBLSAT170

Postby NECBLSAT170 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Bump

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:59 pm

What's your GPA?

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:35 pm

agree with AreJay, addendum about 40 hour weeks and bootstraps and all that fun stuff

Return to “What are my chances?”