Anybody wanna help me out

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
knhim12

Anybody wanna help me out

Postby knhim12 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:50 pm

First of all, this site and the articles on the law schools are amazing. Anyway, I have a 3.45 UGPA (that's counting dual credit classes i took in hs) and 150 LSAT score. I realize that both of these are pretty low (especially my LSAT and no I don't plan on taking it again) but I have a valid, medical reason for my GPA being so low. I haven't made anything below a B since my last bad grade and have been consistently making the honor roll so I'm hoping that law schools will see that my freshman year was a reflection of my true academic ability. Alright so I'm wondering what my chances are to Texas Tech (early decision), UH (early decision), South Texas, and West Virginia University. Thanks for any response.

ndirish2010

Re: Anybody wanna help me out

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:52 pm

What's your opposition to a retake? I don't think there is a shot at Houston or WVU, and the other two aren't worth going to at the price you'd have to pay.

BillW

Postby BillW » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:55 pm

I couldn't tell you without an understanding of your full profile. Do you have work experience and have you had leadership experience? I'd say there's a shot for WVU but plan to retake the LSAT in case you do achieve a better score.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Can't become a resident of WV (to the best of my knowledge) so it is definitely not feasible. Gotta retake and try to get some money.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Bring it up 5-10 points and you are in at WVU with $$$.

knhim12

Postby knhim12 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't have time to because i'm applying for early decision at other colleges. I know that most aren't due till Nov 10 but I wanted to see if I could get accepted at one of my selected schools. I know my LSAT is low but it's completely awful. Right now, I'm an intern at a congressman's office and I'm in several extracurriculars at my school. As for applying to schools that aren't "worth it": I know a good amount of lawyers who have gotten jobs at decent law firms from St. Mary's or Texas Weslyan.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:18 pm

knhim12 wrote:I don't have time to because i'm applying for early decision at other colleges. I know that most aren't due till Nov 10 but I wanted to see if I could get accepted at one of my selected schools. I know my LSAT is low but it's completely awful. Right now, I'm an intern at a congressman's office and I'm in several extracurriculars at my school. As for applying to schools that aren't "worth it": I know a good amount of lawyers who have gotten jobs at decent law firms from St. Mary's or Texas Weslyan.

Those schools aren't worth it. you have about a 5-10% chance of getting a decent legal job out of those schools. you need to re-take and try to get into UH or SMU with $. maybe consider tech if you are fine with working in west TX, but with your current LSAT score you have no shot.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:20 pm

How long did you study for the LSAT first go round? If less than 2 months at an hour or two a day, see below.

It is possible, even likely, that you could improve your LSAT to the point where ED'ing at those schools isn't necessary. You could be an auto-admit with $ to those schools if you studied for October and applied regular admission. OR your score could put you into a whole other tier of schools to apply to.

Don't forsake re-taking for ED'ing if there is a possibility of LSAT improvement.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi. I saw someone else explain this in another thread - if you retake the LSAT and do better you could be saving yourself a ton of money. Even if you don't care about the ranking of the school, though I think you should, you may be able to get some scholarship money. Why isn't that a good enough reason to work hard and retake?

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:25 pm

knhim12 wrote:I don't have time to because i'm applying for early decision at other colleges. I know that most aren't due till Nov 10 but I wanted to see if I could get accepted at one of my selected schools. I know my LSAT is low but it's completely awful. Right now, I'm an intern at a congressman's office and I'm in several extracurriculars at my school. As for applying to schools that aren't "worth it": I know a good amount of lawyers who have gotten jobs at decent law firms from St. Mary's or Texas Weslyan.

Do yourself a favor and seriously consider taking it again in October.

Those lawyers you know...did they get those jobs in the last couple years? Or back in the 90s/early 2000s? It makes a difference. It's a different era now and those schools are seeing their employment numbers drop drastically. And your LSAT score won't get you into a school that is worth the investment right now, plain and simple.

Hate to say it, but your extracurriculars will ONLY act as a tiebreaker if you're up against someone with similar numbers as you. It won't help you outperform your numbers, and most law school applicants have just as many softs as you do.

As for your LSAT score not being awful, well that is true. But it is still below the 50th percentile, and that won't help you. Your reasoning with regard to ED is suspect, because you could either 1) not get into a school that's worth it or 2) get in and be bound to a school that isn't worth the investment. If you REALLY don't want to take it again because of the time commitment involved with the LSAT, then reconsider why you're going to law school. Your exams are going to be 10X more difficult that the LSAT so do yourself a favor and position yourself in a much better spot over the next 2 months instead of potentially regretting it for the next 3 years.

Just my two cents.

schooner

Postby schooner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:39 pm

sunynp wrote:Hi. I saw someone else explain this in another thread - if you retake the LSAT and do better you could be saving yourself a ton of money. Even if you don't care about the ranking of the school, though I think you should, you may be able to get some scholarship money. Why isn't that a good enough reason to work hard and retake?

This. You could be screwing yourself out of $$$ in scholarships. Plus the law school you attend will affect your entire life in dramatic ways, so you should try to attend a better one. Any small advantage you have in ED'ing to those schools would be vastly outweighed by the advantages of applying with a better LSAT. In fact, you should think about getting work experience instead of applying straight to law school.

knhim12

Postby knhim12 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:40 pm

alright wow...appreciate everyones advice

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:42 pm

I agree with the responses that these schools are not worth it and you should retake the LSAT. You have to remember that only about 1/2 of those who take the LSAT actually go to the law school so while your LSAT is at the 50th percentile for all test takers, you realistically towards the bottom of those who end up going to law school.

My reasoning here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153659#p4314664

Return to “What are my chances?”