3.4, 170, Any chances at T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thisiswater

Silver

3.4, 170, Any chances at T14?

Post by thisiswater » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:09 pm

As it says, my LSAC GPA is a 3.41, and my LSAT is 166/170. Mediocre softs, some work experience, okay LoRs, and I can probably crank out a decent essay or two.
Current plan is to apply to:
Texas (I'm a texas resident)
SMU
Tulane
Vandy

I'm debating Duke, Georgetown, UVA, Cornell, basically the 8-14 of the T14. And probably I need to fill in a few more true matches for my numbers.

I am hoping to get most of the application stuff done before the end of July. I leave on the July 29th and won't be back in the states until the end of September so I really want to be ready to apply as soon as I get back. That's still going to get me much of the benefit of applying early right?

Okay, I guess I'm looking for thoughts on my chances of getting in/$$$$ at these schools, plus other good choices for places to apply.

beachbum

Gold

Re: 3.4, 170, Any chances at T14?

Post by beachbum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Apply MVP through WUSTL, and throw in a couple safeties that match up with your regional preferences. FWIW, your best bet into the T14 is with an ED, which would make all of MVPDNG fair game. Otherwise, prepare to ride a lot of WLs.

On your short list, you'll probably get into Vandy (do the interview), and you have a decent shot at Texas. The other two are safeties.

<--- 170/3.4x, accepted to Duke (ED), Vandy, W&M. Waitlisted at UVA, ND, Illinois, Minn.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:14 am

Start by removing SMU and Tulane from consideration.

Then do this.
beachbum wrote:Apply MVP through WUSTL, and throw in a couple safeties that match up with your regional preferences. FWIW, your best bet into the T14 is with an ED, which would make all of MVPDNG fair game. Otherwise, prepare to ride a lot of WLs.

On your short list, you'll probably get into Vandy (do the interview), and you have a decent shot at Texas. The other two are safeties
Getting your apps in by September will be plenty early enough by the way.

Anomaly

Bronze

Post by Anomaly » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:31 am

luck.
Last edited by Anomaly on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks everyone.

I can do add more T14 schools for sure. I don't know why I had it in my head that I had no chance at Michigan and Penn but UVA was a possibility. So, I'l add those plus the others, but I'm not sure I'm willing to do an ED. The debt level scares me, especially because I am not sure I want BigLaw. I guess research into LARP is in my future.
TheFactor wrote:Start by removing SMU and Tulane from consideration.
I'm from the Dallas area, and I went to TUlane for 2 years of my UG before I transferred due to a family thing. I like both cities which is why I was thinking of those for safeties. Not a good idea though in your opinion?

ALSO, another question. I could take the October LSAT. I've never actually studied for it in the past, so probably I could grab a few more points, maybe up to a 174 or so. Would this make a real difference with my GPA, or would it be better to just let it go and see what I get?
Last edited by thisiswater on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:31 am

thisiswater wrote:Thanks everyone.

I can do add more T14 schools for sure. I don't know why I had it in my head that I had no chance at Michigan and Penn but UVA was a possibility. So, I'l add those plus , the others, but I'm not sure I'm willing to do an ED.The Debt level scares me, especially because I am not sure I want BigLaw. I guess research into LARP is in my future.
I'm from the Dallas area, and I went to TUlane for 2 years of my UG before I transferred due to a family thing. I like both cities which is why I was thinking of those for safeties. Not a good idea though in your opinion?

ALSO, another question. I could take the October LSAT. I've never actually studied for it in the past, so probably I could grab a few more points, maybe up to a 174 or so. Would this make a real difference with my GPA, or would it be better to just let it go and see what I get?
It'll definitely make a difference. If you don't want to wonder "what if" and/or retake/reapply next year, I suggest studying (if you'll have the time with your lengthy trip). Each point over 170 up to and including 174 will alter your cycle.

ETA: Then again, make sure you're going to improve. 166/170/168(or below) could hurt you more than 171 can help. 172 should be your aim, and I'd suggest a cancel if you walk out thinking you're at 170 or below.

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:54 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
It'll definitely make a difference. If you don't want to wonder "what if" and/or retake/reapply next year, I suggest studying (if you'll have the time with your lengthy trip). Each point over 170 up to and including 174 will alter your cycle.

ETA: Then again, make sure you're going to improve. 166/170/168(or below) could hurt you more than 171 can help. 172 should be your aim, and I'd suggest a cancel if you walk out thinking you're at 170 or below.
I'm going to be living in one place for most of the second month of the trip so I think I could study. Playing around with LawSchoolPredictor showed me how much even a few points might change up my cycle, so I think a retake may be my new plan.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:34 pm

thisiswater wrote:
Your numbers are too good for Tulane and SMU. Anything in T14 + Vandy/UT will be >/= to Tulane for New Orleans, and given your ties, you'll have no problem getting back to Dallas from a T14. I would only consider SMU if I got a full ride (tuition + expenses) and was dead-set on working in Dallas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”