Does Location Matter?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jkupps2415

Does Location Matter?

Postby jkupps2415 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:08 pm

I know that location obviously matters in regards to applying for in-state schools, but I was wondering if it may have any effect at all for out of state or private schools? For instance, would being from the south add any advantage to being accepted at a northeast school where they probably don't have many students from that area? I know it helps at some undergraduate schools, but was unsure if it applied even the slightest towards law school applications.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

justhockey31

Re: Does Location Matter?

Postby justhockey31 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:10 pm

I would have to say no...if it did it would be such a mini factor that I would imagine it would never even be discussed. I just can't imagine people in admission committees going "well, hes from Alaska and thats cool, let him in"

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:33 pm

I don't think that simply putting down the name of a state will give you any boost. However, if you grew up in an area that is unique and that you feel had a significant impact on the way you think/the way you are, it might be a good idea to put that in a diversity statement.

idratherbetraveling

Postby idratherbetraveling » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:24 pm

I don't think that simply putting down the name of a state will give you any boost. However, if you grew up in an area that is unique and that you feel had a significant impact on the way you think/the way you are, it might be a good idea to put that in a diversity statement.

100% agree with this. I don't know where you're applying or your scores, but places like Michigan, for instance, do tend to put more weight on "diversity" factors and they have an optional essay addressing that topic that you should definitely write if you apply. I'm of the belief that if you have ANYTHING else you want the school to know and you have the option to write an additional essay, you should write it. Depending on what your PS is about, you could also mention growing up in the South/rural area/on a boat/whatever there too.

Return to “What are my chances?”