3.50/172 very meh...insight please!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
swoozie

3.50/172 very meh...insight please!

Postby swoozie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:12 am

[edit] (for a reason I have yet to figure out, lsac calculates a 3.50 rather than 3.49. It doesn't make any difference but seeing that 5 makes me happier.)

I know there are some boards with similar numbers to mine and I looked through them, but I felt that the responses were quite varied (some really optimistic, others much less so). That combined with LSN has me quite confused. (Also currently planning an Oct retake).

So there are my numbers. I have an UG degree in chem e and 2 yrs WE (up to almost 3 if I work until next summer but I doubt I'll do that). I did research in lab for 2 summers and got an internship my 3rd. Some other activities during UG (got an honors degree and wrote a thesis, which basically means did a lot of extra work for nothing, IMO) but nothing too exciting.
Not an URM.

Here's what I was thinking:

Don't feel great about my chances here, but applying anyways:
UChi, NYU

Then apply to MVP, NU, GULC, George Washington. I threw out Boalt because I figure my GPA is too low. Also going to point out that NU and V are probably close to bottom in terms of my interest level in going.

If I throw an ED anywhere I'd probably throw it on UChi. Bad choice?
Any other suggestions or wisdom? Will probably try to use my background to get into IP.
Last edited by swoozie on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Law Sauce

Re: 3.49/172 very meh...insight please!

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:20 am

Just to throw something out that you probably already have seen. Here are Chicago's EDers last year on LSN http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1011/?lsat2=180&lsatR=true&lsat1=120&lgpa1=1.00&lgpa2=4.33&status=3,4,5,6,7,8&application_type=3&type=jd

Look like you have a small shot. I think that this could be worth it for you if they are your number one. I don't know if they have connections in the IP world, but I imagine that is not too important coming from such a top school. You are close to money somewhere in the T14 also. Id ED if you want and apply everywhere through Vandy as well if it doesnt work out.

swoozie

Postby swoozie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:29 am

The LSN look pretty discouraging. :P They are my #1 when I don't think about ED. I guess I was wondering if it would be a waste of an ED which could be better used somewhere else. A step down (on my prefs list) and I think I could be really happy with Penn or NYU.

Thank you for the reply. :D

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:46 am

I applied with a 3.49/173. Results are in my profile. I think this next cycle will be somewhat less competitive. Especially in the sense that schools will have to accept more splitters in they want to maintain their medians.

swoozie

Postby swoozie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:20 am

Oooh thank you, dabbadon8. That helps.

Looks like what I'll be doing is a blanket application and crossing my fingers. Just gotta figure out where to throw my ED. (so if anyone else has an opinion, speak up!) :)

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:35 am

I got NYU with a 3.5/172 and work experience. I was in the first round of WL notifications at Chicago and think that I may have had a shot at WL/Accept if I hadn't withdrawn.

I think you stand a good shot at Chicago if you put together a solid application and ED, you may even have a chance RD.

MVP are hit or miss, with lots of people getting 1 or 2 out of the 3 (but rarely sweeping all with our numbers). You are in good standing at NCG and Duke is kind of a wildcard.

FYI - Even though I did somewhat better than my my numbers may have forecast, I did really poorly with scholarships. I don't think that splitters in our range command a whole lot of money in the T14 (except at Michigan where 45-50k is typical).

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:05 pm

bdubs wrote:I got NYU with a 3.5/172 and work experience. I was in the first round of WL notifications at Chicago and think that I may have had a shot at WL/Accept if I hadn't withdrawn.

I think you stand a good shot at Chicago if you put together a solid application and ED, you may even have a chance RD.

MVP are hit or miss, with lots of people getting 1 or 2 out of the 3 (but rarely sweeping all with our numbers). You are in good standing at NCG and Duke is kind of a wildcard.

FYI - Even though I did somewhat better than my my numbers may have forecast, I did really poorly with scholarships. I don't think that splitters in our range command a whole lot of money in the T14 (except at Michigan where 45-50k is typical).

Yeah except for mich I don't think you will get any money in the t14 from what I have seen. If you get into mich you will either get 45k or 54k. That money is the reason I didn't end up doing ED somewhere. I got the 54k. The money I got from duke off the waitlist was a result me telling them I would attend if they matched mich's 40% scholly. No one else with my numbers got in RD (that I have seen) and no one with my kind of numbers got that kind of money. Honestly if I hadn't been ok with the idea of mich w/ money I would have done ED. I just preferred to not to go to CCN (or any school other then HYS) at sticker and be well over 200k in debt (if I had gotten in). If you would go to a t-14 at sticker and don't care for (or want to risk getting into mich), I would pick your favorite realistic option and ED.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:13 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:If you would go to a t-14 at sticker and don't care for (or want to risk getting into mich), I would pick your favorite realistic option and ED.

You really only need to ED to NYU or Chicago to get a good chance at a spot there. You could even try Columbia, but I doubt that will happen.

No sense in EDing to MVP since you will probably get in RD (write Why Xs) or at least in off the WL.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:22 pm

bdubs wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:If you would go to a t-14 at sticker and don't care for (or want to risk getting into mich), I would pick your favorite realistic option and ED.

You really only need to ED to NYU or Chicago to get a good chance at a spot there. You could even try Columbia, but I doubt that will happen.

No sense in EDing to MVP since you will probably get in RD (write Why Xs) or at least in off the WL.

He in all likely hood won't be getting into UVA RD. Penn he could, but it isn't a sure thing at all (more like 50/50) and I haven't seen anyone with numbers like ours w/ money there. Some people got into NYU with similar numbers very late this cycle. None of these people that I saw got money. The point is either way if not mich, he is probably going to pay sticker, so if he really wants a particular place there is no reason not to ED.

swoozie

Postby swoozie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm not a he but thanks for the replies!

I kind of knew that I shouldn't really expect money from the top schools. I can live with that as I basically got a free ride to UG and have some unused college fund money which can apparently be tapped for law school + the money I've saved from working these past two years. I definitely wouldn't scoff at 40-50k though.

My hesitation stemmed from the fact that I'm afraid I will essentially "waste" an ED on a higher school that I have little to no chance at (NYU, Chi) and then not get in T14 below CCN (Penn) because I didn't ED there instead. @_@

Like I said, looking back like 12 pages on this forum and looking at LSN has totally confused my brain about my chances. ;P I can go from "decent chance, apply now!" to "no chance at all, why bother" in the span of 20 minutes.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:31 pm

swoozie wrote:My hesitation stemmed from the fact that I'm afraid I will essentially "waste" an ED on a higher school that I have little to no chance at (NYU, Chi) and then not get in T14 below CCN (Penn) because I didn't ED there instead. @_@

I think you're probably pretty good at Penn, people with 3.4-3.55/172 have an accept rate above 80% on LSN. It's not worth EDing there if you might give up money at a peer school like Michigan. I doubt many on here would tell you that EDing to NYU or Chicago is a waste, most would probably advise you that it is your best chance at cracking the T6.

swoozie

Postby swoozie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Now that's its app time, does anyone else feel like weighing in? Just like to get a few more opinions if possible. :D

Decided not to retake LSAT, this is what my school list looks like:

NYU, UChi
MVPDNCG
GW, USC?

Is it too many? Not enough safeties? 2 months later and I still haven't decided where to ED....

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Love that GPA :wink:

Solicit fee waivers from schools to which you would like to apply. You should get enough fee waivers even without soliciting to make the apps worthwhile and not too expensive.

I'm not a big fan of ED because of the amount of scholly money you potentially forfeit, but splitters usually won't get big money until way down the US News rankings. If the choice is 10K/year at USC or sticker at Chicago, it isn't a hard decision. If you love Chicago or NYU then ED to one of those. I wouldn't use your ED on Penn unless you fall in love with the school and absolutely have to go there. Just make sure you write optional essays for Penn and Michigan.

You should be in good shape everywhere else except for Virginia which is almost certainly a waitlist without ED or residency. Duke might also be a bit tough with that GPA, but again, worth the app.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 pm

My friend's bf applied last cycle with your exact stats. He got into U. Penn and NYU off the waitlist.

80eight

Postby 80eight » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:21 pm

I have just about the same numbers as you and I've decided not to ED anywhere. I wish I could tell you why, but I'm just trusting my gut on this one. I'm interested to see where we both end up!

swoozie

Postby swoozie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:26 pm

[quote="Tiago Splitter"][/quote]
Thank you! Really helpful for me just to see other people's line of thinking. I'm going to see if I managed to get any more fee waivers (following that waiver tracking thread) and then send out e-mails in a couple of days, I guess.

@LaCumparsita, thanks as well, I guess I'll def be leaving T7 and down off of ED then.

@80eight Would you mind posting where you're going to apply? :)

bananaboat29

Postby bananaboat29 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:16 am

fwiw, i applied last cycle with a 3.52 and a 172 (multiple retakes) and work experience (nothing extraordinary).

Accepted: NYU (late in cycle), Penn (early in cycle), Duke (late in cycle), NW (early), Georgetown (early), BU, BC

Waitlisted: Chicago, Mich, UVA

Rejected: Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, UC Berk

I'm from the east coast. I think this is fairly typical for our numbers.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 am

I got $50k from NU and $80k from GULC with 173/3.48 but December LSAT. I would consider skipping ED and try to hustle up some money. Most of the schools you are looking at have similar job prospects.

80eight

Postby 80eight » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:02 pm

swoozie wrote:

@80eight Would you mind posting where you're going to apply? :)

All of T14 except Yale and Cornell. I might throw WUSTL an app too.

Return to “What are my chances?”