3.0 / 174 Late ED to UVA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
capsfan

3.0 / 174 Late ED to UVA

Postby capsfan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:31 am

Got some good advice already about improving my GPA via community college classes but figured I'd post an actual chances thread.

So... LSDAS GPA will be just above 3.0 by the time I finish with the fall semester. Also including a GPA addendum due to a medical problem which is now treated which was a major factor (honestly the only factor) in my low GPA.

LSAT is a 174 from June (1st attempt)

Average softs, and I'm assuming good LORs.

Virginia Resident.

So if I put out an ED application the day I receive fall grades what would you guess happens? Also how much do you think my chances improve with a September 1 ED app the following cycle? ie, if I don't get UVA or GULC this cycle do I settle for somewhere like WUSTL or Indiana?

Thanks.

glewz

Re: 3.0 / 174 Late ED to UVA

Postby glewz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:47 am

I wonder if this will change anything.

"Law schools should allow applicants the freedom to explore as many opportunities to pursue legal education as possible. . . . An early decision plan is one under which an applicant and a law school mutually agree at the initial point of application that the applicant will be given an admission decision at a date earlier than usual in return for the applicant’s commitment, at that date, to attend the school and withdraw all applications pending at other law schools, and not initiate new applications."

from http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=44

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:59 am

Virginia resident, I'd say you're in with a September 1st app, probably will find out within a few days, lol. The 3.0 barrier does exist for UVA, from what I've seen, though.

GULC should be likely as well, if UVA denies you by September 16th and you then decide to ED GULC. NU is also possible, if you have some sort of WE (fryalator experience may not count).

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:01 am

capsfan wrote:Got some good advice already about improving my GPA via community college classes but figured I'd post an actual chances thread.

So... LSDAS GPA will be just above 3.0 by the time I finish with the fall semester. Also including a GPA addendum due to a medical problem which is now treated which was a major factor (honestly the only factor) in my low GPA.

Virginia Resident.

So if I put out an ED application the day I receive fall grades what would you guess happens? Also how much do you think my chances improve with a September 1 ED app the following cycle? ie, if I don't get UVA or GULC this cycle do I settle for somewhere like WUSTL or Indiana?

Thanks.

What is your exact LSDAS? My thinking is that one semester/fall grades is not going to significantly alter your GPA but I cannot know for certain since I don't know your actual GPA and other specifics (how many credits you plan on taking, what GPA you realistically expect to earn etc). From a strategic standpoint, related to this cycle, UVA is required by law to admit a certain percentage of in-state students (40% I think) and that places you at some sort of advantage with ED. Equally important is the fact that they guarantee a decision within 15 days. If you were to apply on the first day the application becomes available, you can expect a decision fast enough to ED somewhere else (GULC for example) if UVA's decision doesn't go your way. If you like Cornell, I would even throw in an Early Action application there. Cornell's application becomes available in August (Agust 17th last cycle) and the EA is non-binding.

Alternatively you can work on improving your GPA and apply when your GPA goes up. Btw, just curious, have you already earned a degree or are you still in undergrad?

capsfan

Postby capsfan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:10 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
capsfan wrote:Got some good advice already about improving my GPA via community college classes but figured I'd post an actual chances thread.

Virginia Resident.

Thanks.

What is your exact LSDAS? My thinking is that one semester/fall grades is not going to significantly alter your GPA but I cannot know for certain since I don't know your actual GPA and other specifics (how many credits you plan on taking, what GPA you realistically expect to earn etc). From a strategic standpoint, related to this cycle, UVA is required by law to admit a certain percentage of in-state students (40% I think) and that places you at some sort of advantage with ED. Equally important is the fact that they guarantee a decision within 15 days. If you were to apply on the first day the application becomes available, you can expect a decision fast enough to ED somewhere else (GULC for example) if UVA's decision doesn't go your way. If you like Cornell, I would even throw in an Early Action application there. Cornell's application becomes available in August (Agust 17th last cycle) and the EA is non-binding.

Alternatively you can work on improving your GPA and apply when your GPA goes up. Btw, just curious, have you already earned a degree or are you still in undergrad?

I am still in Undergrad and without going into too much detail, my LSDAS is currently below 3.0, after the fall semester it will be above 3.0 assuming a performance that I know I am capable of.

Given how important (at least from what I can tell) that 3.0 barrier is at UVA and, to some extent, other schools my thinking was that the benefits of an early app would be outweighed by being above 3.0 with a late December/ early January app. A September app in the 2011-2012 cycle just isn't reasonable for me. In that regards I was asking if my chances at a t14 would significantly improve for the following cycle with a September app.

slt

Postby slt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:19 am

Virginia Resident.

Thanks.

I actually applied relatively late (I think in either January or early February) via ED to UVA during the cycle I applied. I similar stats as you, but my LSDAS did not break 3.0 (and got close to it after my Spring grades came out). I was not a VA resident. At the end of my cycle, I enrolled into one of the two "fallback" school you listed with a considerable scholarship, which I believe you should also receive.

Anyways, I heard back from UVA within a week after submitting my ED application around the time you are projecting to submit yours. Keep in mind, apparently the year I applied was the record all-time high in terms of law school applications.

If I can recall correctly, back when I applied, UVA "guaranteed" a response within a week if you submitted an ED application. I was soft rejected (i.e. waitlisted), but there were several people the same cycle on LSN with very similar stats to me who had applied early in the cycle and were admitted to UVA. So, I think timing is one important aspect for splitters to consider.

Another person I know was accepted to UVA less than 24 hours after submitting the ED application on the ED application deadline in March. This person is also not a VA resident. Stats: higher GPA; lower LSAT (broke the 170 line though).

---

Since you're a VA resident and one semester can't change your GPA too much, my suggestion would be to submit your ED application immediately. I recall from LawSchoolNumbers several people who had been admitted to UVA with a little less than 3.0 with > 170 LSAT scores. From my understanding, UVA will pick up their splitters early on and being a VA resident is a real "boost", so I would submit my ED application as early as possible if I were you.

I hope I didn't give any misleading information, and someone can correct me if I gave bad advice.

Good luck with your upcoming cycle!

---

If your senior year grades will definitely boost your GPA and you can apply in September the next cycle, I'm pretty sure your chances of admittance to various T14s will definitely increase. I still think you have a fair shot at ED UVA this cycle given you apply early enough and your LSDAS GPA is not too far below 3.0.
Last edited by slt on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:21 am

slt wrote:From my understanding, UVA will pick up their splitters early on

This is what I heard as well.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:27 am

capsfan wrote:I am still in Undergrad and without going into too much detail, my LSDAS is currently below 3.0, after the fall semester it will be above 3.0 assuming a performance that I know I am capable of.

Given how important (at least from what I can tell) that 3.0 barrier is at UVA and, to some extent, other schools my thinking was that the benefits of an early app would be outweighed by being above 3.0 with a late December/ early January app. A September app in the 2011-2012 cycle just isn't reasonable for me. In that regards I was asking if my chances at a t14 would significantly improve for the following cycle with a September app.

UVA's deadline for ED is the same as for RD (March 1st), so you can still apply with a December (provided you get your grades in time and report it the LSAC) or an early January app if otherwise. Of course you must consider how many others have applied before you etc. You will be advantaged by going in with a higher GPA, of course and one would think you will be slightly disadvantaged by the relatively late nature of the application. UVA and others in the T14 however, insist that a December/January application does not hurt an applicant but they say a lot of things officially, so who knows?

I wouldn't take community college courses to boost the GPA since the strategy will be obvious, instead, consider easy classes at your current University. Different people have different views on this but boosting GPA with community college classes after being enrolled in University seems a tad tacky to me. Then again, I am not on the admissions committee and the foregoing is purely my opinion.

capsfan

Postby capsfan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:I wouldn't take community college courses to boost the GPA since the strategy will be obvious, instead, consider easy classes at your current University. Different people have different views on this but boosting GPA with community college classes after being enrolled in University seems a tad tacky to me. Then again, I am not on the admissions committee and the foregoing is purely my opinion.

Tried doing some searches but didn't find much info, so...

Does anyone know of anyone who has actually gone the route of blatantly padding their GPA with classes from a community college while in Undergraduate and whether or not it affected them positively or negatively?

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Honestly, I think you should try to contact Jason Dugas or Cordell Faulk at the admissions office and ask them. They may blow smoke up your ass, but I think they'll give you a helpful answer. Since 3.0 seems to be such a hard cutoff point, I'm inclined to say you might be better off waiting. But as has been said ITT, they do fill up the class with a lot of splitters early.

capsfan

Postby capsfan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Honestly, I think you should try to contact Jason Dugas or Cordell Faulk at the admissions office and ask them. They may blow smoke up your ass, but I think they'll give you a helpful answer. Since 3.0 seems to be such a hard cutoff point, I'm inclined to say you might be better off waiting. But as has been said ITT, they do fill up the class with a lot of splitters early.

Thanks for the advice as far as contacting the admissions office. I should have included an important piece of information in the initial post, that makes applying September 1 all but an impossibility. The GPA addendum I'm including will also address a medical withdraw I took at the beginning of last year.

I really think my application as whole would look much better if it includes grades from courses after that withdraw and subsequent treatment combined with at least one if not both of my LOR's coming from professors who can speak to my change in performance following that treatment.

I really don't think there is any chance that UVA would admit a student with a sub 3.0 gpa coming off a medical withdraw and no subsequent courses taken beside a few summer courses at a state university, thus my only real options here are December/January of this cycle or wait it out until September 1 of the following cycle.

Return to “What are my chances?”