3.90 170..ED to CN make sense?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
veritas curat

3.90 170..ED to CN make sense?

Postby veritas curat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Hello

I retook at 16X from december and got a 170 this june. I'm a rising senior in undergrad with a 3.9.
white female
ideal situation for me is secondary market biglaw, but getting a biglaw job - or any job, for that matter - is more important than being in a particular market.

Does EDing to Chicago or NYU make any sense? Or, because it might preclude my being able to accept a partial scholly at a lower t-14 - presuming I am lucky enough to achieve such - is it a bad idea?

Bottom line
What are my chances at snagging chicago or NYU with ED? And, would either or both be sticker-worthy better than a lower t-14 in the region of my desired secondary markets for biglaw?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by veritas curat on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Re: ED to CN make sense?

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:01 pm

veritas curat wrote:Hello

I retook at 16X from december and got a 170 this june. I'm a rising senior in undergrad with a 3.9.
white female
ideal situation for me is secondary market biglaw, but getting a biglaw job - or any job, for that matter - is more important than being in a particular market.

Does EDing to Chicago or NYU make any sense? Or, because it might preclude my being able to accept a partial scholly at a lower t-14 - presuming I am lucky enough to achieve such - is it a bad idea?

Bottom line
What are my chances at snagging chicago or NYU with ED? And, would either or both be sticker-worthy better than a lower t-14 in the region of my desired secondary markets for biglaw?

Thanks in advance

Why the hell would you ED? Lower T14 will most like give you a large scholly.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:08 pm

firemed wrote:Why the hell would you ED? Lower T14 will most like give you a large scholly.

It's a fair question.

veritas curat wrote:I retook at 16X from december and got a 170 this june. I'm a rising senior in undergrad with a 3.9.
white female

What is your secondary market of choice, and how much does debt matter to you? The answer to these 2 questions are the most important to giving you a decent answer. And also, are you from your secondary market of choice?

veritas curat

Postby veritas curat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:13 pm

firemed wrote:

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I just don't know if any will give me more than about a third (based on LSN), and if this third is worth taking over C or N.

BruceWayne wrote:
veritas curat wrote:I retook at 16X from december and got a 170 this june. I'm a rising senior in undergrad with a 3.9.
white female

What is your secondary market of choice, and how much does debt matter to you? The answer to these 2 questions are the most important to giving you a decent answer.

I would be happy with any of the following: Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Cincy, Indy, (insert mid-size mid-west city here). And yeah, I'm from one of these and have spent time in 2 of the others.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:17 pm

veritas curat wrote:I would be happy with any of the following: Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Cincy, Indy, (insert mid-size mid-west city here). And yeah, I'm from one of these and have spent time in 2 of the others.

Personally I'd ED to UChicago. I definitely wouldn't ED to NYU; for your purposes Michigan with a scholarship would be just as good (probably better).

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Tough decision. I would probably ED. I think the most you'll get anywhere in the top ten is about a third, and I think the BigLaw prospects out of Chicago are pretty sweet. Sounds like you like Midwestern towns too, so Chicago seems like a great match.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:51 pm

ED to UChicago probs makes the most sense if you're going to ED. That said, UChicago has a much smaller class and is probably a tougher ED to land as result (I'm guessing, but it makes sense). Michigan probably has just as much placing power into these markets as UChicago or NYU. I think you'd definitely get some $$ from Michigan, so that's probably worth considering.

In addition, I think you have a strong shot at NYU without the ED. Not guaranteed by any means, but reasonably strong.

veritas curat

Re: 3.90 170..ED to CN make sense?

Postby veritas curat » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses. What does TLS conventional wisdom say regarding small scholly at MVP vs. sticker CCN? Toss up?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:05 pm

veritas curat wrote:Thanks everyone for the responses. What does TLS conventional wisdom say regarding small scholly at MVP vs. sticker CCN? Toss up?

Very much a toss up in general, but most TLS wisdom would err on the side of CCN. Chicago is absolutely your best choice for those markets, followed by Michigan. I would stay away from NYU, because it's very much a New York City school and doesn't place better than MVP outside of New York. Top firms in those markets will delve deeper into the class in Chicago than Michigan, although you would probably be in fine shape even at median at either place.

Chicago might give you a little bit of money with those numbers though. They were very generous with scholarships this year, especially late in the cycle after people started committing elsewhere. I'd check LSN for Chicago and try to assess your chances. ED would certainly help your chances of admission to Chicago, but your certainly competitive for RD.

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:56 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:09 am

What are you guys considering a "small" scholarship at MVP?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 am

I was in almost this exact position (3.89/170) and came THIS close to ED'ing Chicago. Have you visited either? I really didn't like UChi when I went, and was very happy I didn't ED. If you apply before Oct. 1, you'll almost certainly get at least one of CCN, and you do have an outside shot at HYS. You're in UVA's sweet-spot for money, likely 60-75k, and 45k-ish from Michigan.

If you are incredibly risk-averse and love one of CCN, ED there. If you're weighing options and want biglaw, don't ED. It also sort of depends on what secondary market you're looking at. If it's in the South, 75k at UVA might trump sticker wherever you ED; out west, possibly same at Boalt.

TL;DR: Don't ED.

veritas curat

Postby veritas curat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:27 am

Kretzy wrote:I was in almost this exact position (3.89/170) and came THIS close to ED'ing Chicago. Have you visited either? I really didn't like UChi when I went, and was very happy I didn't ED. If you apply before Oct. 1, you'll almost certainly get at least one of CCN, and you do have an outside shot at HYS. You're in UVA's sweet-spot for money, likely 60-75k, and 45k-ish from Michigan.

If you are incredibly risk-averse and love one of CCN, ED there. If you're weighing options and want biglaw, don't ED. It also sort of depends on what secondary market you're looking at. If it's in the South, 75k at UVA might trump sticker wherever you ED; out west, possibly same at Boalt.

TL;DR: Don't ED.

I haven't visited, but I would before I ED'd just to make sure it was the right fit. Good idea. I will also definitely apply before October first. My thought process was just that between my multiple scores and lack of softs (involved in UG...but still, it's UG and I have no work experience), RD at CCN would be out of the question.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:46 am

i was in at CCN regular decision with a 171 and a 3.89. it is possible to get those without ED although you may not want to risk it. i would also throw apps at HYS for the hell of it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:11 am

somewhatwayward wrote:i would also throw apps at HYS for the hell of it.

S, if good softs. YH probably isn't happening.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:17 am

UChi actually looks fairly good RD: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

Three of those WLs were because they applied late (in January) so they may or may not have been admits had they applied earlier.

NYU looks a little iffier: http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

I feel very confident that you would get UChi ED, but I only saw one data point for NYU ED around your numbers (170/3.88) and they got WL'd. I think at the end of the day, you need to visit both schools, but Chicago in particular with your preference for the midwest. If you fall in love with it and wouldn't mind paying sticker, then ED, but honestly I'm with Kretzy on this one. I think your GPA/LSAT are strong enough that you stand a good chance RD, and you'll clearly have more opportunities to snag scholarships and weigh options without ED. It's a tough call, and I get wanting to do as much as you can to ensure an acceptance, but if I were in your shoes I think I'd just hope for the best with RD.

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:30 am

veritas curat wrote:
firemed wrote:

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I just don't know if any will give me more than about a third (based on LSN), and if this third is worth taking over C or N.

BruceWayne wrote:
white female

What is your secondary market of choice, and how much does debt matter to you? The answer to these 2 questions are the most important to giving you a decent answer.

I would be happy with any of the following: Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Cincy, Indy, (insert mid-size mid-west city here). And yeah, I'm from one of these and have spent time in 2 of the others.

I think that Michigan with $$ is the best option here. Even if you crack biglaw in one of these markets, starting salaries are closer to 100k. 120k in debt from Michigan is a lot more palatable than 180k from Chicago with that starting salary.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:39 am

NYCbound35 wrote:I think that Michigan with $$ is the best option here. Even if you crack biglaw in one of these markets, starting salaries are closer to 100k. 120k in debt from Michigan is a lot more palatable than 180k from Chicago with that starting salary.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point, but OP's debt from Michigan would almost certainly be higher than $120k. And sticker at Chicago is much higher as well.

Ugh tuition is so ridiculous. :(

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:41 am

Dany wrote:
NYCbound35 wrote:I think that Michigan with $$ is the best option here. Even if you crack biglaw in one of these markets, starting salaries are closer to 100k. 120k in debt from Michigan is a lot more palatable than 180k from Chicago with that starting salary.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point, but OP's debt from Michigan would almost certainly be higher than $120k. And sticker at Chicago is much higher as well.

Ugh tuition is so ridiculous. :(

Chicago would be about $230k and Michigan would be higher than $120k unless OP gets a $75k scholarship or more (which he may, I suppose).

veritas curat

Postby veritas curat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:18 pm

No one thinks the 170 being the second take (first one was in 160s) and/or the lack of soft factors will make MVP w/ money a pipe dream?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 pm

veritas curat wrote:No one thinks the 170 being the second take (first one was in 160s) and/or the lack of soft factors will make MVP w/ money a pipe dream?

I had overall pretty average softs, a retake, and only a slightly higher LSAT and got 90k to UVa, so I don't think it's a pipe dream at all.

Return to “What are my chances?”