This time with real numbers: 3.2/173 (Update: NYU!) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NJPitcher

Bronze

This time with real numbers: 3.2/173 (Update: NYU!)

Post by NJPitcher » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Hey all,

I made a post a couple years speculating my numbers, but I guess TLS's servers don't store posts from before 2010 so I couldn't revive it. Regardless it was mostly useless conjecture, so I'll just start another.

I graduated from Swarthmore in 2010 with an honors double in Astronomy and Philosophy, but my problem was that I really wasn't that good at Astro and I wound up with a 3.2 overall. I'm much better at standardized tests though, and I managed to squeak out a 173 on the June LSAT. I don't have any tremendous softs, but I played baseball for 4 years in college and was captain my senior year. Since graduating I've been employed full time selling cars. That's pretty much my story.

My two biggest questions are:
How much does a hard science major help?
What should I expect in the 4-14 range? I said farewell to HYS when I decided to continue with Astro, but I'm hoping I'm not excluded from the rest as well with a 3.2.
Last edited by NJPitcher on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitmuch

Silver

Re: This time with real numbers: 3.2/173

Post by splitmuch » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:40 pm

NJPitcher wrote: My two biggest questions are:
What should I expect in the 4-14 range? I said farewell to HYS when I decided to continue with Astro, but I'm hoping I'm not excluded from the rest as well with a 3.2.
1) Not at all.
2) NW, GULC, Cornell, UVA ED. Youre probably under the GPA floor everywhere else.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:43 pm

splitmuch wrote:
1) Not at all.
2) NW, GULC, Cornell, UVA ED. Youre probably under the GPA floor everywhere else.
He has a fighting chance at Penn and Michigan.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
1) Not at all.
He has a fighting chance at Penn and Michigan.
Agree

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:50 pm

OP will get NW almost for sure. Probably Cornell as well. Fighting chance at Mich and Penn. Gulc auto admit.

He might want to consider an ED to Chicago, they might bite at a 173 and a preftigious undergrad that nobody ever hear of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks for the feedback, that was pretty in line with what I was expecting. As of now I'm thinking ED to Penn (I live there currently) or Chicago, with NYU a distant thought. What level school do you all think I receive any sort of aid? 15-30, or lower?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:18 pm

I'd blanket the T14 if application fees isn't an issue. You honestly never know when a school is going to bite. It's true that some of this is a numbers game, but it's also true that some of this is a crap shoot. You never know when you have something on your resume or in your personal statement that is exactly what the admissions committee is looking for. Good luck!!

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:OP will get NW almost for sure. Probably Cornell as well. Fighting chance at Mich and Penn. Gulc auto admit.

He might want to consider an ED to Chicago, they might bite at a 173 and a preftigious undergrad that nobody ever hear of.
Prestigious enough to have never been heard of, that's an apt description :P

Any chance a retake helps? This was relatively cold, but I'd say I'm 50/50 on an improvement. I got 1/1/2/3 wrong (LR/AR/LR/RC), so there weren't any obviously terrible sections. Regardless I'm above the median at any school I'm applying to, I just don't know if being any higher above the median really helps or is worth another $fee, and I'm also not sure a lower score doesn't hurt. Thoughts?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:59 pm

NJPitcher wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:OP will get NW almost for sure. Probably Cornell as well. Fighting chance at Mich and Penn. Gulc auto admit.

Prestigious enough to have never been heard of, that's an apt description :P

Any chance a retake helps? This was relatively cold, but I'd say I'm 50/50 on an improvement. I got 1/1/2/3 wrong (LR/AR/RC/LR), so there weren't any obviously terrible sections. Regardless I'm above the median at any school I'm applying to, I just don't know if being any higher above the median really helps or is worth another $fee, and I'm also not sure a lower score doesn't hurt. Thoughts?
You missed 7 and got a 173? rough curve.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:30 am

splitmuch wrote: You missed 7 and got a 173? rough curve.
Or june was just easy? Thats what I'll tell myself. Regardless, would a 1/2/3+ point improvement really do me much good, or should I not bother?

Bobeo

Bronze

Post by Bobeo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:26 am

I would think that the risk wouldn't be worth the reward.

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:29 am

NJPitcher wrote:What level school do you all think I receive any sort of aid? 15-30, or lower?
Bump? Actually sending out apps now and I'm being more realistic - what schools do you guys think start giving me money? Do I get any at Fordham? Wash U? Just curious.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:44 am

Unfortunately splitters like yourself won't get much money until outside the T-14. Because of that, EDing makes a lot of sense. My vote:ED to Penn. If you want to stay out of debt the midwest schools like UIUC, WashU, and IUB will love that LSAT.

No reason to retake. Even with a 180 the T6 is a very long shot, and you only have any shot because of your majors/UG school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:27 am

you'll get substantial money at WashU, but is it really worth it over Chicago or Penn? I don't know how career plans or debt factors into your life, but you'll get at least a 86k scholly to WashU, Vanderbilt will probably give you money too. Either way, law school is an investment, just look at what the median students from the schools you are looking at are able to do, and then look at your career plans and see if they align. Good luck, awesome job on the 173

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 am

Update, and request for safety suggestions:

I finally got my applications out over the last two weeks (LOL at my early November self-deadline...), and so far I've submitted to:

Penn
Virginia
Vanderbilt
NW
Chicago
NYU (only because of fee waiver, don't really like my chances)
Columbia (fee waiver)

Obviously I didn't ED anywhere, and I really don't have any safeties on the list. I'm dreading finding out that I'm not in at any of those schools, so what are the best schools I can apply to that would be considered my safeties?

hdsoc

Bronze

Post by hdsoc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:45 am

I'd add on Georgetown, Michigan, WashU (for scholly negotiation). It's hard to recommend safeties without knowing which region you want to practice in.

If you don't get T-14 this cycle, I would definitely recommend waiting it out and applying next cycle. I have only slightly better numbers than you (but I am above the 3.3 floor which can make a difference) and I got NYU (w/ ED), Georgetown, Michigan (w/ $$). I think you would be in good shape for any of MVP with an ED.

scottybared

Bronze

Post by scottybared » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm a 3.2/175 (retake of 169), had all of my apps in by Halloween and am finding that this cycle is being a bit rough on splitters. My results so far:

Accepted: UVA, GULC, GW
Accepted w/$$: W&M, UIUC
Rejected: Chicago (ED), UC-Berkeley, Michigan
Waitlisted: Penn
Still Waiting: NYU, Duke, Cornell (deferred EA), WashU, Columbia, NU

I don't have as much work experience as you, but this cycle has been weird when it comes to splitters. Good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:24 pm

I have your exact numbers plus 4 years of WE. Here is how the top 14 has gone for me so far.

Didn't apply - HYS and Berkeley
Accepted - Northwestern, GULC
Held - UT, Cornell
Waitlisted - UVA
Pending - Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Michigan, Penn, Duke

I don't know why people are saying you will get into Cornell. They have a hard GPA floor of 3.3. I got held and do not anticipate getting in off of that.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:42 am

scottybared wrote:I'm a 3.2/175 (retake of 169), had all of my apps in by Halloween and am finding that this cycle is being a bit rough on splitters. My results so far:

I don't have as much work experience as you, but this cycle has been weird when it comes to splitters. Good luck.
Are you from VA?

scottybared

Bronze

Post by scottybared » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 pm

splitmuch wrote:
scottybared wrote:I'm a 3.2/175 (retake of 169), had all of my apps in by Halloween and am finding that this cycle is being a bit rough on splitters. My results so far:

Are you from VA?
No. I was surprised to get in so quickly. I volunteered at a law fair on campus back in October and asked to be assigned as a student host to the UVA booth which was being manned by the Dean of Admission. I didn't do much except drop off bottled water throughout the day, but it did give me the chance to talk to her one-on-one a bit. I'd like to think that I made a good impression and that played into the decision.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:20 pm

emkay625 wrote:I have your exact numbers plus 4 years of WE. Here is how the top 14 has gone for me so far.

Didn't apply - HYS and Berkeley
Accepted - Northwestern, GULC
Held - UT, Cornell
Waitlisted - UVA
Pending - Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Michigan, Penn, Duke

I don't know why people are saying you will get into Cornell. They have a hard GPA floor of 3.3. I got held and do not anticipate getting in off of that.
No they do not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:22 pm

scottybared wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Are you from VA?
No. I was surprised to get in so quickly. I volunteered at a law fair on campus back in October and asked to be assigned as a student host to the UVA booth which was being manned by the Dean of Admission. I didn't do much except drop off bottled water throughout the day, but it did give me the chance to talk to her one-on-one a bit. I'd like to think that I made a good impression and that played into the decision.
Yeah man congrats, for a non ED- out of stater I really would have figured you for close to no shot just because of the GPA. You must have made a good impression, you should be proud of that.

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:53 am

Update:

In at Vandy, decision was turned around 12 days after the app went complete.
Columbia - rejected.
Still waiting on the others...

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Update, since I'm functionally complete:

Rejected: Columbia, Chicago
WL: Penn, UVA, GU
Accepted: Vanderbilt (w/ $65k), NU (no cash, held first), NYU (off WL).

Going to NYU. Way happy.

Band A Long

Bronze

Post by Band A Long » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:22 pm

Everyone loves a success story! Congrats

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”