AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kcirdor01
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby kcirdor01 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Took the LSAT last month....should I try my luck at UVA or take the test again????

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Retake. You can get in with those numbers, but it's unlikely.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Cavalier wrote:Retake. You can get in with those numbers, but it's unlikely.


I agree that he should retake, but he's quite likely to get in with those numbers. The reason he should retake is because no AA male with a 3.8 and 160 LSAT should be settling for UVA; he should be aiming for HYS. OP retake, get a 164+ and get into at least Harvard/Stanford. The economy is far too poor for you to be settling for a non HYS school with your profile.

kcirdor01
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby kcirdor01 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for the advice

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby 20121109 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:18 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Retake. You can get in with those numbers, but it's unlikely.


I agree that he should retake, but he's quite likely to get in with those numbers. The reason he should retake is because no AA male with a 3.8 and 160 LSAT should be settling for UVA; he should be aiming for HYS. OP retake, get a 164+ and get into at least Harvard/Stanford. The economy is far too poor for you to be settling for a non HYS school with your profile.


This.

OP is easily in at UVA.

AA URMs have gotten into H off the WL with those numbers.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Retake. You can get in with those numbers, but it's unlikely.


I agree that he should retake, but he's quite likely to get in with those numbers. The reason he should retake is because no AA male with a 3.8 and 160 LSAT should be settling for UVA; he should be aiming for HYS. OP retake, get a 164+ and get into at least Harvard/Stanford. The economy is far too poor for you to be settling for a non HYS school with your profile.


This.

OP is easily in at UVA.

AA URMs have gotten into H off the WL with those numbers.

Especially damn unicorn AA males.

User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby saito816 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:50 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Retake. You can get in with those numbers, but it's unlikely.


I agree that he should retake, but he's quite likely to get in with those numbers. The reason he should retake is because no AA male with a 3.8 and 160 LSAT should be settling for UVA; he should be aiming for HYS. OP retake, get a 164+ and get into at least Harvard/Stanford. The economy is far too poor for you to be settling for a non HYS school with your profile.


This.

OP is easily in at UVA.

AA URMs have gotten into H off the WL with those numbers.


The UVA part is not necessarily true. I got waitlisted at UVA with those exact numbers, but thankfully I'm also one of those "damn unicorns" who got into H off the waitlist. :)

User avatar
Glock
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby Glock » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:17 pm

URM is slightly harder to predict than non-URM. There is simply less data available. If I am you I retake. Shores up my chances and scholarships at the lower T14 and even a 165 makes gives you a decent shot at HY. You can do a 5 point bounce. Pretty much anybody can if they focus.

Retaking can give you a better school or a lot more money.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby dkt4 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:00 pm

take it again, if you really want to go to UVA after you see your options that's cool

afitouri
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby afitouri » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:21 am

I don't know why people are acting like you're locked in for UVA with those numbers.

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

A LOT of URMs are rejected to UVA with similar and better numbers than his. A few are accepted with similar or worse numbers. He has a chance, but from looking at the numbers on that chart its 50/50 or worse.

Retake the LSAT, it looks like 163 3.8 is a shoo-in. 161 is also border-line shoo-in. But lol I guess UVA is picky about that 1 point difference.

Browse it for yourself. A decent chance, but why not re-take and go to a better school, or raise your chances with UVA like the other posters suggest?

wolverinelove11
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby wolverinelove11 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:29 am

*
Last edited by wolverinelove11 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcirdor01
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby kcirdor01 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:17 pm

I know Harvard is legit bro, but would you take a full ride at UVA, GTown, or GW over paying full freight at YHS?

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:41 pm

kcirdor01 wrote:I know Harvard is legit bro, but would you take a full ride at UVA, GTown, or GW over paying full freight at YHS?


The only people who pay full freight at HYS make enough money for full freight not to be a problem. And not to be stereotypical, but if he's a URM the likelihood is very slim that he makes enough money (or his parents) for him to have to pay full freight at HYS.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby dkt4 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:32 am

i don't want to stereotype, but i'm going to anyway.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:38 am

dkt4 wrote:i don't want to stereotype, but i'm going to anyway.


Stereotype really wasn't the right word. I should have said assume. But honestly, your post was totally useless to the topic at hand either way.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:12 am

afitouri wrote:A LOT of URMs are rejected to UVA with similar and better numbers than his. A few are accepted with similar or worse numbers. He has a chance, but from looking at the numbers on that chart its 50/50 or worse.

Retake the LSAT, it looks like 163 3.8 is a shoo-in. 161 is also border-line shoo-in. But lol I guess UVA is picky about that 1 point difference.

Browse it for yourself. A decent chance, but why not re-take and go to a better school, or raise your chances with UVA like the other posters suggest?


While I agree with the fact that he isn't a lock at Virginia, you can't cite urm-ness in its entirety to prove your point. There are different kinds of URMS with different boosts. Furthermore, some people who are urm's for other purposes aren't the kind of urm's that receive significant boosts in Law School admissions. For example, the guy that thinks he's a light-skinned AA because his ancestors are from Lybia, inter alia.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby dkt4 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 am

BruceWayne wrote:
dkt4 wrote:i don't want to stereotype, but i'm going to anyway.


Stereotype really wasn't the right word. I should have said assume. But honestly, your post was totally useless to the topic at hand either way.


ouch brah

kcirdor01
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby kcirdor01 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:58 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on GWs ED program? Is it worth applying to?

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby 20121109 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:59 pm

kcirdor01 wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on GWs ED program? Is it worth applying to?

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx


Don't ED anywhere.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby TheFactor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:06 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
kcirdor01 wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on GWs ED program? Is it worth applying to?

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx


Don't ED anywhere.

kcirdor01
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby kcirdor01 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:17 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
kcirdor01 wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on GWs ED program? Is it worth applying to?

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx


Don't ED anywhere.


Even w/ the guarantee of a full tuition scholarship???

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: AA Male 160/3.8 realistic chances at UVA

Postby Corwin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:11 pm

kcirdor01 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
kcirdor01 wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on GWs ED program? Is it worth applying to?

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx


Don't ED anywhere.


Even w/ the guarantee of a full tuition scholarship???

You can get a full tuition scholarship at a better school.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest