.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:44 am

.
Last edited by feadogger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:45 am

feadogger wrote: I am literally qualified as a genius, I like to solve puzzles and have burly academic honors to back up those statements. The fact that I can verbally pwn people at will is merely icing on the cake. Sheesh.


My new favorite thing I've ever read on TLS

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:50 am

Why are you best friends with some 19 year old chick you used to babysit? Can't make friends your own age?

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby shoeshine » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:53 am

The fact that no one quoted the original post makes me sad. This could have been a mega thread of ridicule. :cry:

feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:58 am

.
Last edited by feadogger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby kurla88 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Not sure what you're looking for here. If all you say is true, you have an impressive background, and prospects look good for the LSAT and getting into a good school, if practicing the law is what you really want to do.

What exactly is your question?

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby TheFactor » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:13 pm

If you get at least a 167 on the LSAT, you'll qualify for mensa based on your LSAT score too! Then you could tell employers that you are a double genius.

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby mlorinczj » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Please don't let this thread die...It's knocking on the door of greatness...

feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:30 pm

.
Last edited by feadogger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:31 pm

mlorinczj wrote:Please don't let this thread die...It's knocking on the door of greatness...


Eh not really

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:32 pm

mlorinczj wrote:Please don't let this thread die...It's knocking on the door of greatness...


Please let this thread die. It annoys me every time I see it that I missed the OP, and I can't pull it up on google's cache

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Kabuo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:49 pm

lawgod wrote:
mlorinczj wrote:Please don't let this thread die...It's knocking on the door of greatness...


Please let this thread die. It annoys me every time I see it that I missed the OP, and I can't pull it up on google's cache


Sorry, not yet. Is there supposed to be something more impressive about qualifying for Mensa at 14? Most people I know who qualified when they took the LSAT were qualified earlier in life, either from an IQ test or the SAT/ACT (This is based on a huge sample size of 3).

feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:58 pm

.
Last edited by feadogger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:58 pm

You know who else is in MENSA?

Asia Carrera. Don't Google that at work.

User avatar
reepS
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 7:33 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby reepS » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:06 pm

OP: You should check out Thomas Cooley Law, or Thomas Jefferson School of Law. They both offer unique perspectives that you could really benefit from.

artist9517
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby artist9517 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:39 pm

All I can say is that law school is unlike anything else you have gone through so far. Study hard for the LSAT and make sure that you're prepared. Your ability to solve puzzles won't necessarily translate into success in law school. The practice test is not necessarily a good indication of how you'll do on the actual test. I've known people who have scored 10 points lower on the actual test than their practice test. On the other had, I know people who have scored 10 points higher.

Also, the fact that you like to argue has absolutely no bearing on your ability to be a good attorney. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. But good attorneys are ones who can think analytically and reasonably. They can pull the rule from a case and effectively apply it to the facts of their case. They can use cases that hurt them and distinguish the facts of their case from the facts in the opinion. Also, good attorneys aren't people who "like to argue." They tend to be cool, calm, collective, cordial, and handle themselves professionally under pressure.

Your "softs" also won't matter. Some schools might take them into consideration over others, but most schools put much more weight on your actual LSAT score and your UGPA. I have an MBA and my gpa in grad school wasn't even considered, nor was my practice LSAT.

Best of luck to you though.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Emma. wrote:
rad law wrote:
feadogger wrote:Thank you all for your prompt and helpful feedback. I might be tempted to go into disability/workers comp law because of the medical aspects, but familiarity is not always the right reason to choose a path. Since I'm out of work right now, I think I might look up some of my mom's old employers and spend a week or two with them outside of the disability field. I remember exactly how to research and cite cases, write briefs, etc. I think I will try to sit in on some in-court sessions of civil and criminal folks.

To kalvano: Did you read the whole post? That is not my prevailing reason to join this field. I already have in-field experience, I am literally qualified as a genius, I like to solve puzzles and have burly academic honors to back up those statements. The fact that I can verbally pwn people at will is merely icing on the cake. Sheesh.


Next time you pretend to be some 35 year old chick with back problems, don't use 13 year old boy slang.


This *is* starting to seem more and more flamey.

Also, mensa just isn't that impressive. Anyone with an LSAT over 167 qualifies.


Yeah, I sense either flame... or someone who is really socially retarded and needs to go into a PhD program somewhere in a field that doesn't require much human interaction.

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby zozin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:35 pm

So getting into Mensa when you were 14 makes you "freakishly nontraditional"?

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Kabuo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:17 pm

zozin wrote:So getting into Mensa when you were 14 makes you "freakishly nontraditional"?


Seems a freakishly traditional time to be getting into Mensa.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests