.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

.

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:02 am

.
Last edited by feadogger on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:09 am

Get a real LSAT and come back. Without a real LSAT your chances are nil.

User avatar
deadpoetnsp
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby deadpoetnsp » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:13 am

Practice well for the LSAT over the next couple of months, get the LSAT Bibles and browse this forum daily. Take the LSAT in December 2011 or June 2012. Assemble all your academic records and recommendation letters. Apply in the 2012 cycle. If you get a score of 175+, you are a shoe-in for Yale/Harvard/Stanford. 172-175 sees you at CCN/MVPD with scholarships. 168-172 will get you in at T25s with full rides. If you get less than 168-170, you will be better off not going to law school and doing something else with your pretty interesting background.

A caveat: each applicant thinks s/he is a special snowflake (search for the term "snowflake" on this website to see what I mean), but ultimately, law school admissions is a numbers game. It boils down to your LSAT score and your undergraduate GPA (graduate GPA does not count). All your other accomplishments in life (called 'soft factors') matter as much as a sparrow's tears in the admissions race. Lawschoolpredictor.com gives a very good assessment of which law schools will offer your admission based on your LSAT and undergrad GPA.

feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:20 am

.
Last edited by feadogger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 am

If you want to go over some hypothetical situations, enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com. Your GPA won't keep you out of any schools, so it all comes down to LSAT performance.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Emma. » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:31 am

Honestly it sounds like you'll be able to do incredibly well on the LSAT and probably get into Yale with your story, or at least one of YHS.

My advice would be more along the lines of figuring out if you really want to work in the legal profession before you spend 3 years at school. I know you said you have some experience through your work in college and through your mother, but I'd think you need to figure out exactly what area of law you would want to practice in, and then spend some time with attorneys who work in that area.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:33 am

I feel like you have the type of background that may actually give you a bump in the admissions process, since it is very different, even from most other non-trads. The LSAT is pretty learnable (logic games in particular), so if you got a 165 on your diagnostic you are in a good position for 170+.

Are you aiming to apply this coming cycle? If so, start studying now for the October test.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:34 am

You want to be a lawyer because you like to argue? Good luck with that.

feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:46 am

.
Last edited by feadogger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Army2Law
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Army2Law » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:48 am

165 flame to match the 165 practice test.

User avatar
Hippononymous
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Hippononymous » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:55 am

Army2Law wrote:165 flame to match the 165 practice test.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:57 am

feadogger wrote:Thank you all for your prompt and helpful feedback. I might be tempted to go into disability/workers comp law because of the medical aspects, but familiarity is not always the right reason to choose a path. Since I'm out of work right now, I think I might look up some of my mom's old employers and spend a week or two with them outside of the disability field. I remember exactly how to research and cite cases, write briefs, etc. I think I will try to sit in on some in-court sessions of civil and criminal folks.

To kalvano: Did you read the whole post? That is not my prevailing reason to join this field. I already have in-field experience, I am literally qualified as a genius, I like to solve puzzles and have burly academic honors to back up those statements. The fact that I can verbally pwn people at will is merely icing on the cake. Sheesh.


Next time you pretend to be some 35 year old chick with back problems, don't use 13 year old boy slang.

feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:06 am

.
Last edited by feadogger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Emma. » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:09 am

rad law wrote:
feadogger wrote:Thank you all for your prompt and helpful feedback. I might be tempted to go into disability/workers comp law because of the medical aspects, but familiarity is not always the right reason to choose a path. Since I'm out of work right now, I think I might look up some of my mom's old employers and spend a week or two with them outside of the disability field. I remember exactly how to research and cite cases, write briefs, etc. I think I will try to sit in on some in-court sessions of civil and criminal folks.

To kalvano: Did you read the whole post? That is not my prevailing reason to join this field. I already have in-field experience, I am literally qualified as a genius, I like to solve puzzles and have burly academic honors to back up those statements. The fact that I can verbally pwn people at will is merely icing on the cake. Sheesh.


Next time you pretend to be some 35 year old chick with back problems, don't use 13 year old boy slang.


This *is* starting to seem more and more flamey.

Also, mensa just isn't that impressive. Anyone with an LSAT over 167 qualifies.

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Paraflam » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 am

Bad flame

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby kwais » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 am

feadogger wrote:Thank you all for your prompt and helpful feedback. I might be tempted to go into disability/workers comp law because of the medical aspects, but familiarity is not always the right reason to choose a path. Since I'm out of work right now, I think I might look up some of my mom's old employers and spend a week or two with them outside of the disability field. I remember exactly how to research and cite cases, write briefs, etc. I think I will try to sit in on some in-court sessions of civil and criminal folks.

To kalvano: Did you read the whole post? That is not my prevailing reason to join this field. I already have in-field experience, I am literally qualified as a genius, I like to solve puzzles and have burly academic honors to back up those statements. The fact that I can verbally pwn people at will is merely icing on the cake. Sheesh.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: make sure you say this to all potential employers. It goes over really well. And, as someone else just noted, if you are talking about Mensa, about 1/3 of TLS could sign up for that shit if they cared

feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:18 am

.
Last edited by feadogger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:22 am

feadogger wrote:Wow. I expected some of that, but wow.

My whole point about Mensa was that I qualified as a 14 year old. That's different than most.

I was trying to share stuff about myself to other peers to get their assessment, not quoting my play for a job. I thought that was the whole point of this forum.

Once again, thank you to those with decent and helpful replies.




Image

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:23 am

feadogger wrote:My best friend is a 19 year old female that I helped babysit when she was a little girl. The slang rubs off, and I find it amusing to switch linguistic styles.

You are quite insulting and I will not qualify your response with "proof" of the validity of my statements. This is the internet, and I refuse to provide personal details for some peon to test the veracity of my story. I've LIVED it, I don't need to cite it, though my academic accolades, degrees, MMA experience, etc. are all documented in newspapers. Several times, actually. To quote another friend of mine (don't let me throw you off again, this time I'm referencing rap since I graduated from a URM based high school):

It ain't trickin' if you got it. And I got it, brother.

What a wonderful example you have set for this forum! Congratulations on your behavior.


Image

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby beachbum » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:23 am

The problem isn't your softs, it's that you come off as hopelessly arrogant and overly defensive. You should probably get that fixed before you start writing application essays, and certainly before you start interviewing for jobs. HTH.

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Paraflam » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:23 am

GTFO FLAME

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:25 am

feadogger wrote:My best friend is a 19 year old female that I helped babysit when she was a little girl. The slang rubs off, and I find it amusing to switch linguistic styles.

You are quite insulting and I will not qualify your response with "proof" of the validity of my statements. This is the internet, and I refuse to provide personal details for some peon to test the veracity of my story. I've LIVED it, I don't need to cite it, though my academic accolades, degrees, MMA experience, etc. are all documented in newspapers. Several times, actually. To quote another friend of mine (don't let me throw you off again, this time I'm referencing rap since I graduated from a URM based high school):

It ain't trickin' if you got it. And I got it, brother.

What a wonderful example you have set for this forum! Congratulations on your behavior.


Also that's not what "it ain't trickin' if you got it" means, genius.

feadogger
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:06 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby feadogger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:27 am

.
Last edited by feadogger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby brose » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:29 am

beachbum wrote:The problem isn't your softs, it's that you come off as hopelessly arrogant and overly defensive. You should probably get that fixed before you start writing application essays, and certainly before you start interviewing for jobs. HTH.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Freakishly nontraditional if I apply . . .

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:31 am

Image




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: grades??, hamburg, renc56, sodomojo and 5 guests