171/3.66 - ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

I should ED . . .

Columbia
9%
Chicago
23%
NYU
36%
Michigan
9%
Berkeley
No votes
Penn
5%
UVA
18%

Total votes: 22

Swans Nest

171/3.66 - ED?

Postby Swans Nest » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:13 pm

First post! Long time lurker, wanted to wait until I had an LSAT to post.

171/3.66

Deets:

(1) Few years off UG, no real work experience (figured some personal stuff out, volunteered, had some family obligations . . . i.e. probably not Northwestern material).
(2) $$$: I care about it, but have some help from the family.
(3) Biglaw: I want the option. Don't know enough about it to be sure.
(4) Region: East Coast/ Midwest (but still like UC Berkeley as an option).

Besides the usual "ED UVA /thread" nonsense, any advice? I've used the online predictors but I'm looking for some TLS thought.

Thanks.

buckilaw

Re: 171/3.66 - ED?

Postby buckilaw » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Michigan awards ED admits merit based and need based financial aid. You would likely be a lock at UVA; but, you arguably have a greater upside by ED'ing to Michigan since both schools have similar job prospects and only Mich will give financial aid to ED applicants. Also, even if your ED school dings you, you will likely still get at least Duke, Cornell, and GULC so your ED is not a make or break proposition like it is for some applicants.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:31 pm

UVa considers ED applicants for $$$ as well.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

I voted Chicago. I am a fan of EDing to the best school you can get into, if it is also somewhere you would love going. I don't know if you would love going to Chicago, but out of CCN it seems to be the one in the last couple of years that admitted ED applicants with your numbers. If that doesn't work I think you should end up with great options from MVP on down.

That said, if you absolutely love one of MVP though, you should ED there. If your heart isn't set on any place in particular, just apply RD.

cmckid

Postby cmckid » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I voted Chicago. I am a fan of EDing to the best school you can get into, if it is also somewhere you would love going. I don't know if you would love going to Chicago, but out of CCN it seems to be the one in the last couple of years that admitted ED applicants with your numbers. If that doesn't work I think you should end up with great options from MVP on down.

That said, if you absolutely love one of MVP though, you should ED there. If your heart isn't set on any place in particular, just apply RD.

Or ED to Virginia since it doesn't affect scholarships, and you get a determination back in 15 days.

Swans Nest

Postby Swans Nest » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

If I don't ED to CCN do I effectively lose my shot? I just don't want to blow my chances by EDing at MVP when I have a good shot RD.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Swans Nest wrote:If I don't ED to CCN do I effectively lose my shot? I just don't want to blow my chances by EDing at MVP when I have a good shot RD.

You will likely be waitlisted at all three, with the best chance of acceptance being a WL->Admit from NYU.

Return to “What are my chances?”