Big Decision - Should I retake, given this situation?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Big Decision - Should I retake, given this situation?

Postby law4vus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:53 pm

So I've come to a bit of a crossroads here and my mindset has shifted a lot in the last week or so. I've come to TLS to see if I can get some good advice here. Let me start with the stats - 3.3 GPA, 162/167 LSAT scores.

My application cycle is complete and I've deposited at one school and am on the waiting list at another school which I'd much rather go to. Still haven't gotten in and am starting to lose hope that I ever will, and am starting to believe my other school isn't worth going far from home for.

Here's the LSAT story - I took it once and got the 162. Had some extenuating circumstances that came into play, but the score is what it is. Not good enough, given the GPA. The second time, I busted my butt studying for it and was destroying practice tests. I'm talking nothing below a 171 for the last 2 months of studying (taking roughly 40 practice tests and getting above 170 on 35 of them) and PTing consistently at the 174 range in the 2-3 weeks before the test. Test day rolls around, and I suffer a panic attack during the first section. Full blown and I've been diagnosed with it subsequently, so it wasn't just test anxiety. I didn't recognize what was going on so I worked through the test anyway. I got 10 wrong on my first section (RC) and I managed to work through the rest of the test only getting 6 wrong TOTAL on the remaining sections, so I managed to salvage the score into a respectable 167.

Now, I haven't gotten into the school I want and I'm less and less enamored with the school I've gotten into. I'm considering scrapping everything, starting over, and taking the LSAT again with the intention of getting the 170+ I know I can get. My concern is that taking the test 3 times doesn't look good and even if I scored a 173, the average will end up being a 167. Will it help me at all to take it a third time, even if I do score as highly as I think I can? I'm just concerned that it will be a waste and I'll be right back here where I started.

TL;DR version: Considering scrapping cycle and retaking the LSAT from a 162/167 to hopefully a 173+. Will it make a difference, given the schools that average 3 scores together. Obviously shooting for T14 at this point. Thanks, and I'd really appreciate ANY advice I can get on this.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Big Decision - Should I retake, given this situation?

Postby Kabuo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Would help if we knew which school you really want. I mean, if it were WUSTL, retake for 168+ is obvious, but I assume it's a T14, and then knowing which one might be useful.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Big Decision - Should I retake, given this situation?

Postby law4vus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Kabuo wrote:Would help if we knew which school you really want. I mean, if it were WUSTL, retake for 168+ is obvious, but I assume it's a T14, and then knowing which one might be useful.


I really want T14, preferably Georgetown (I'm from DC) but I'd take a lot of different T14s. I also really like UVA, Michigan, and Penn. My thinking is that I don't mind getting away from home for school, but it has to be a school I feel is worth going for. Right now I'm deposited somewhere in the 20-30 range. If I had to choose between WUSTL and the school I have now, I don't think it'd be worth taking a year off. However, if I could break into the T14 somewhere then it'd be worth it for me.

I know Georgetown says they average scores, so unless I got a 176 I'm not sure it'd make a big difference median-wise. Not sure the exact policies of the other schools I mentioned but I assume having 3 scores might hurt me.

My biggest thing is I just want to know whether retaking a third time will help me or if it will just put me back where I am now with another year of not going to school.

leapincamelleopard
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Big Decision - Should I retake, given this situation?

Postby leapincamelleopard » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 pm

law4vus wrote:
I know Georgetown says they average scores, so unless I got a 176 I'm not sure it'd make a big difference median-wise. Not sure the exact policies of the other schools I mentioned but I assume having 3 scores might hurt me.



If you really want Georgetown, retake. It's worth it and I was accepted there with a 157/159/171 so I'm not sure if they really do average. With your numbers if you can hit near your PT average, I would think you would be fine.
Last edited by leapincamelleopard on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Big Decision - Should I retake, given this situation?

Postby Kabuo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:14 pm

Before my cycle I would have spit back the conventional TLS wisdom that if you can retake to a 172+, you should and then just ED to UVA. Now, I think November when you'd get that score might be too late. It's probably good though. If I were you and I thought I could get up to a 172+, I'd absolutely wait a year. Even if you only go up to a 168, it will make your higher scores look more legit and you'll at least snag $$ at WUSTL and give yourself a very outside shot at Cornell.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Big Decision - Should I retake, given this situation?

Postby law4vus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:18 pm

Kabuo wrote:Before my cycle I would have spit back the conventional TLS wisdom that if you can retake to a 172+, you should and then just ED to UVA. Now, I think November when you'd get that score might be too late. It's probably good though. If I were you and I thought I could get up to a 172+, I'd absolutely wait a year. Even if you only go up to a 168, it will make your higher scores look more legit and you'll at least snag $$ at WUSTL and give yourself a very outside shot at Cornell.


Well, one thing I do have is that I have everything else done (obviously) so I could technically send the app in the second I get my score. I definitely think that given my score sheet for the last study period, I could definitely get at least 170.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Big Decision - Should I retake, given this situation?

Postby law4vus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:19 pm

leapincamelleopard wrote:
law4vus wrote:
I know Georgetown says they average scores, so unless I got a 176 I'm not sure it'd make a big difference median-wise. Not sure the exact policies of the other schools I mentioned but I assume having 3 scores might hurt me.



If you really want Georgetown, retake. It's worth it and I was accepted there with a 157/159/171 so I'm not sure if they really do average. With your numbers if you can hit near your PT average, I would think you would be fine.


This is really, really helpful. Thank you.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: liam13661 and 2 guests