3.65/171 possible ED at Chicago

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
China_Palace

3.65/171 possible ED at Chicago

Postby China_Palace » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:43 pm

I currently go to Emory doing a double major in Classics (focusing on Greek) and Philosophy (Ancient Philosophy specifically) and I have a 3.65 GPA and am looking at a 171 LSAT (based on my practices). My top choice is Chicago and am thinking about doing ED with them. I have a couple questions:

The most obvious I guess is what are my chances with Chicago with/without ED? What about the rest of the T-15 (excluding HYS, since I'm almost definitely not good enough to get in to those)? I was also curious about another matter. I was a Visiting Student at Oxford University the whole of my Junior year and got all high 2:1s and 1sts (essentially A-s and As), which definitely helped my GPA. I had a great time there so I'm not bothered if the effect is negligible, but will doing ok at Oxford help my chances very much?

Redfactor

Re: 3.65/171 possible ED at Chicago

Postby Redfactor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:03 am

You'd need a 172 or higher to get into Chicago with an ED. They aren't going to let an EDer in if they're below both medians.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:13 am

Sentry wrote:You'd need a 172 or higher to get into Chicago with an ED. They aren't going to let an EDer in if they're below both medians.

OP is at the LSAT median with his/her (hypothetical) 171 and barely under the GPA median? I think it's reasonable to ED at Chicago and go for RD at other schools.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:16 am

171/3.7 was waitlisted ED this past cycle, with a 171/3.63 getting in ED in 2009-2010. Worth a shot.

China_Palace

Postby China_Palace » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks everybody for the responses! They have certainly helped give me a better perspective on my chances. Would Duke maybe be within reach for me if I apply Round II ED? I know my GPA is low for them, but my LSAT looks competitive at least. I've loved living in the South and am pretty impressed with Duke (have been since applying for undergrad).

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:29 am

170/3.4 go into Duke ED last year, but it was round 1. You'll certainly be more competitive for Duke than Chicago if you do in fact score 171.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:38 am

China_Palace wrote:and am looking at a 171 LSAT (based on my practices)

Ok, so first of all, this is stupid. Is a 171 good enough? Probably not. Is there a chance that you get a couple more questions right on game day and get a 173? Hell yeah there is. Does a 173 put you in a pretty good position? Yeah. Is there a chance that you get a couple more questions wrong on game day and get a 169? Hell yeah there is. Any chance with a 169? Hell to the no.

This is why guessing your score and trying to make others extrapolate on something that is most likely not going to happen is just silly and probably a little inconsiderate.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:38 am

glewz wrote:
Sentry wrote:You'd need a 172 or higher to get into Chicago with an ED. They aren't going to let an EDer in if they're below both medians.

OP is at the LSAT median with his/her (hypothetical) 171 and barely under the GPA median? I think it's reasonable to ED at Chicago and go for RD at other schools.

I think Chicago was shooting for higher medians this year, and will probably get a 172 LSAT median. A 171 is probably going to be a tough sell ED and RD will probably mean riding the WL all the way to the deny pile.

China_Palace

Postby China_Palace » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:43 am

Helmholtz wrote:
This is why guessing your score and trying to make others extrapolate on something that is most likely not going to happen is just silly and probably a little inconsiderate.

I really do apologize for that and I probably should have waited until I got my actual score before asking for chances. I was curious/anxious about where I stood and was hoping for a bit of perspective. Again, I do sincerely apologize.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:56 am

China_Palace wrote:I was curious/anxious

We've all been there, and it doesn't get any easier in law school (e.g. wanting to know what kind of firms you have shot at when you only have half of your grades back). Try not to count your chickens before they're hatched and best of luck on your score.

China_Palace

Postby China_Palace » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:57 am

Helmholtz wrote:
China_Palace wrote:I was curious/anxious

We've all been there, and it doesn't get any easier in law school (e.g. wanting to know what kind of firms you have shot at when you only have half of your grades back). Try not to count your chickens before they're hatched and best of luck on your score.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:03 am

Good luck with the LSAT studying.

China_Palace wrote: I was a Visiting Student at Oxford University the whole of my Junior year and got all high 2:1s and 1sts (essentially A-s and As), which definitely helped my GPA. I had a great time there so I'm not bothered if the effect is negligible, but will doing ok at Oxford help my chances very much?

Have you submitted your transcripts to LSAC already? Most study abroad programs don't get factored into your GPA, but there are a few exceptions. The grades you got during the program will be a minor soft (if they don't count in your LSAC GPA), but nothing that would impact your probability of admission in a measurable way.

Uncle Leo

Postby Uncle Leo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:30 am

bdubs wrote:Good luck with the LSAT studying.

China_Palace wrote: I was a Visiting Student at Oxford University the whole of my Junior year and got all high 2:1s and 1sts (essentially A-s and As), which definitely helped my GPA. I had a great time there so I'm not bothered if the effect is negligible, but will doing ok at Oxford help my chances very much?

Have you submitted your transcripts to LSAC already? Most study abroad programs don't get factored into your GPA, but there are a few exceptions. The grades you got during the program will be a minor soft (if they don't count in your LSAC GPA), but nothing that would impact your probability of admission in a measurable way.

Sorry to hijack:

What if grades from abroad are somewhat poor / did not translate over well. Still negligible?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:21 am

Uncle Leo wrote:
bdubs wrote:Good luck with the LSAT studying.

Sorry to hijack:

What if grades from abroad are somewhat poor / did not translate over well. Still negligible?

If the grades aren't on your transcript or resume, most schools will never ask. I have heard of Columbia making requests for study abroad transcripts though.

Return to “What are my chances?”