iPhone app for prospective law students!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Patrick D

iPhone app for prospective law students!

Postby Patrick D » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Heya TLS,

I wrote an iOS application (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) for prospective law students. My app predicts a student's chances of being admitted to the top 50 U.S. law schools based on LSAT, GPA, and other information. The app will convert your grades to the appropriate scale for each school, calculate index scores where necessary, and compare these indicators against class profiles and other measures of selectivity. Based on this comparison, chance of admission are classified as "Improbable", "Possible", and "Probable".

Of course, some schools take criteria into account beyond GPA and LSAT. My application cannot weigh these portions of an application, and so in this way (and others) the prediction is an approximation. Obviously I cannot make any guarantees regarding accuracy of predictions, however I have worked hard to ensure that my app's calculations will accurately reflect your chances. As well, I am always willing to hear out any views you may have concerning how I can improve the accuracy of my application - so feel free to contact me.

The app is called WiGi, short for Will I Get In? Take a look, screenshots etc.

The rub is that I'm charging $0.99 for the thing (yea yea, I know). The hotness - I'm givin' away a bunch for free via promo codes. PM me if interested, and let me know what you think!

- Patrick

Flips88

Re: iPhone app for prospective law students!

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:51 pm

No one's gonna pay for that when they can go to http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/ for free

Also I hope the screen shot of the 169/3.66 isn't what has been used for the chance screenshot. That person would be in at Indiana with a full ride.

Patrick D

Postby Patrick D » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:55 pm

Flips88 wrote:No one's gonna pay for that when they can go to http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/ for free

You might be right, but I figure a buck ain't bad for a second opinion.

Edit: 169 / 3.66 in the first screenshot, 165 / 3.66 in the second, both predicting in at Indiana.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Where do you get the data for this app (re: class profiles)?

Patrick D

Postby Patrick D » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:05 pm

czelede wrote:Where do you get the data for this app (re: class profiles)?

From a variety of sources - I don't want to go into much detail here, but I will say that I do not use any data from lawschoolnumbers.com.

Concerning LSN, I don't mean to impugn what I feel is a very useful tool. However, I am not always confident in the veracity of user submitted data, nor did I want to step on LSN's toes by using their proprietary data without permission.

Return to “What are my chances?”