166/3.8

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
greeksalad

166/3.8

Postby greeksalad » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Hello,

I am new to these boards and found them while studying for the LSAT. Impressed by the sheer amount of advice and knowledge -- as well as pictures of lolcats, snark, etc. -- I thought I would take the plunge and give this board my first post, appropriately in this forum where blunt, candid advice seems to be a dime a dozen.

My Stats -
LSAT: 166 (on par with PTs, sections in my optimal order, and in a great testing center...I probably could not do better without selling my soul = no retake despite obvious benefits)
GPA: 3.8 (with senior year still coming up so there's a chance it can rise to ~3.85+)
Undergrad: non-HYP Ivy League
Major: History & Government, with some level of Latin honors for current honors thesis
Minor: Law and Society
Extra-curriculars: Strong
Work/Summer Internships: Strong (member of Congress, public interest law firm, non-profit research group, leading weekly magazine)
LOR: In the bag
URM: No
State of Residency: Florida

Schools I am currently considering, in order of difficulty:*

Hail Mary passes: Georgetown, Duke, UVA - ED**
From the Free Throw Line: GWU, W&M, Cornell, UPenn, Vanderbilt, Emory, WUSTL
Safeties: UF, FSU

I plan on taking 1-2 years off before attending law school, so I would be applying in either Fall 2012 or Fall 2013. I'm just getting a feel for what schools I will be competitive.

Thanks for your help.

*based on the TLS rankings of schools and the stats there
** Top choice

TheZoid

Re: 166/3.8

Postby TheZoid » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:03 pm

I could definitely be wrong about this, but why do you think Georgetown is a hail mary pass, while Cornell, Penn and Vandy are "from the free throw line." I'm not so sure you have a great chance at those schools, though you definitely have some chance. Not trying to be a jerk, but your LSAT is a few points off of where it probably needs to be to have a really strong shot at those schools. Great GPA, and that will probably get you in somewhere you'd like to go, but I'm sure a lot of people on this board will tell you to retake and get 2 or 3 extra points. As minimal as it sounds, it's a big item.

greeksalad

Postby greeksalad » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Good question -- I was just basing off those arbitrary categories from a quick glance at the TLS rankings page. Cornell and UPenn have their 25 percentile score at 166, whereas Georgetown is at 168.

Looking around, I do see that the rule of thumb is here better to "retake than settle." But honestly I hated every minute of studying and every minute of taking the test for real and there is little indication that I could do significantly better...perhaps even worse.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:13 pm

GULC, Duke, UVa, Cornell, Penn, Vandy, and even WUSTL (which loves the LSATs, apparently) are all reaches. GW, Vandy and GULC are probably waitlists. I had similar numbers and was WLed at those plus Michigan.

Since you seem somewhat interested in the South, why not throw an app at Texas? Emory will toss you a chunk of change, but personally I'm glad I didn't take their offer.

You mentioned this, but definitely try to take at least a year off before law school.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:35 pm

philosoraptor wrote:GULC, Duke, UVa, Cornell, Penn, Vandy, and even WUSTL (which loves the LSATs, apparently) are all reaches. GW, Vandy and GULC are probably waitlists. I had similar numbers and was WLed at those plus Michigan.

Since you seem somewhat interested in the South, why not throw an app at Texas? Emory will toss you a chunk of change, but personally I'm glad I didn't take their offer.

You mentioned this, but definitely try to take at least a year off before law school.

Yea, I'd have to agree with you. Yes, you have a very nice GPA, but being at the 25% end of the median is not great if you are not a URM or don't have amazing softs. I think just about everyone hates studying for the LSATs, but it's worth it. If you didn't use the Powerscore bibles, you might want to check them out. I got a 158 on my first try (didn't study as hard as I should have), and a 168 with some dedication second time around. Reach schools become targets/safeties. It was a pretty miserable few months, but honestly, it's over now and I'm happy with the score, and it was worth it without a doubt. To be very blunt with you, I think you should suck it up, study hard and aim for low to mid 170's. Even if you miss that, a 168 or 9 would help you more than you might realize. Best of luck to you.

greeksalad

Postby greeksalad » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:10 pm

Any additional thoughts? Appreciate the input so far.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Generally, the medians will give you a better idea of your chances than 25th and 75th percentiles.

I'd say UVA ED is worth a shot this cycle. 50-50 shot from a very limited sample in recent years.

http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=1011

I included some higher LSATs in that search to motivate the re-take you need :wink:

greeksalad

Postby greeksalad » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:38 am

Ba-bump?

greeksalad

Postby greeksalad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 am

Last edited by greeksalad on Thu May 08, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:28 am

Um, what else are you looking for? We've told you what you need to know. All that matters is your numbers, so just go to LSP and play around there.

j12

Postby j12 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:30 am

Not trying to be a dick, but I think you have unrealistic expectations for your applications.
For the level of schools you're applying to I don't really see any softs that make you stand out. Your softs won't hurt you, but not enough to give you a boost. Unless you actually are a MOC and didn't just work for one.

I think you have a good shot at GW, Emory, W&M, and WUSTL. I had a friend apply to W&M and WUSTL w/ 165, 3.8 and he got $18K/year at W&M and $15K/year at WUSTL.
I think you'll be reject or WL at the rest.

I was a 167 my first take, with a similar GPA so I was in a pretty similar situation. You're at the point where every additional point can make a big difference on where you go. Get a 168 and you'll have serious $ from your current targets. 170 and you're T14. You have a couple years (since you said you are waiting) to bump you're score by basically 1 question per section. You can do that.

I used to think that everyone that scored in the 170s had to be super smart, but trust me that's not the case. It's a learn-able test, and you can drastically improve your options with a few more points. If you refuse, you'll still be in a better position than most people, just have realistic expectations.

greeksalad

Postby greeksalad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:55 am

Excellent honesty, thank you!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:01 pm

OP should be fine at WUSTL, 3.8 GPA will carry. It's 3.6/166 that's a problem. As my reaches, I would apply to every school where 3.8 puts you above the median GPA. If you apply to Cornell super early you have a shot.

Return to “What are my chances?”