null Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TaipeiMort

Silver

Re: 169, 4.0, Macaulay Honors... chances?

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Male or Female? With a 169 and F, you may be able to get money at NYU and maybe Chicago (they have extra money to give out with the Rubenstien inflow).

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:09 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Male or Female? With a 169 and F, you may be able to get money at NYU and maybe Chicago (they have extra money to give out with the Rubenstien inflow).
I don't think that is the case. There is no female bonus.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:25 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Male or Female? With a 169 and F, you may be able to get money at NYU and maybe Chicago (they have extra money to give out with the Rubenstien inflow).
I used to think so too, but we had a lunch tallk at uChicago on affirmative action where one of the profs made it clear that the distribution curves of male and female lsat takers are different. Male had larger tails, meaning more low scores and elite scores. Based upon this distribution, there are naturally fewer female very high LSAT scores. Therefore, the mean scores for women and men are different at top schools, who try to achieve roughly equal groups of men and women.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:44 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
I used to think so too, but we had a lunch tallk at uChicago on affirmative action where one of the profs made it clear that the distribution curves of male and female lsat takers are different. Male had larger tails, meaning more low scores and elite scores. Based upon this distribution, there are naturally fewer female very high LSAT scores. Therefore, the mean scores for women and men are different at top schools, who try to achieve roughly equal groups of men and women.
Did the UChicago professor explicitly say that Chicago gives a tangible boost to female applicants or is that a conclusion you came to on your own?

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:21 pm

This is an interesting topic. Anyone else heard anything like this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Did the UChicago professor explicitly say that Chicago gives a tangible boost to female applicants or is that a conclusion you came to on your own?
He did not provide any hard data or first-hand experience, as he isn't on the admissions committee. Rather, he just presented the two different LSAT (and IQ) distributions of men and women and made the comment that because of this situation, the reality is that there are less high LSAT for uChicago to take among men than women, so the administration had to be more flexible with men than women to achieve equal numbers.

He also made the comment that uChicago is the last of t6 schools to not apply affirmative action to law review make up.

In terms of my class though, I did not notice any type of difference in male/female intelligence. In fact, I'd say that 70% of the gunners and the majority of writing award winners were female.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:22 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote: Did the UChicago professor explicitly say that Chicago gives a tangible boost to female applicants or is that a conclusion you came to on your own?
He did not provide any hard data or first-hand experience, as he isn't on the admissions committee. Rather, he just presented the two different LSAT (and IQ) distributions of men and women and made the comment that because of this situation, the reality is that there are less high LSAT for uChicago to take among men than women, so the administration had to be more flexible with men than women to achieve equal numbers.
Except they don't achieve equal numbers. Chicago's class is about 55% men/45% women (LinkRemoved), despite roughly equal amounts of men and women taking the LSAT.

Homer88

New

Post by Homer88 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone, and btw I am a male. I think I'm leaning toward nyu Ed... What do you realistically think my chances are with that?
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”