4.0X/175, Want to pick up a soft before I apply

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Montevillian

Re: 4.07/175, Want to pick up a soft before I apply

Postby Montevillian » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Verity wrote:
Borhas wrote:do something you'll find interesting that helps others

alternatively, don't do anything cause you're probably out at Yale and Stanford and in at Harvard regardless of what ever soft you want to pick up

wtf??

Your numbers alone will make you highly competitive at each. Focus on finding something unique and interesting to do in the meantime.

I think the implication is that EVERYONE is probably out at YS, regardless of numbers. With such small class sizes, they can obviously afford to be picky.

pichu

Postby pichu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Montevillian wrote:
Verity wrote:

alternatively, don't do anything cause you're probably out at Yale and Stanford and in at Harvard regardless of what ever soft you want to pick up

wtf??

Your numbers alone will make you highly competitive at each. Focus on finding something unique and interesting to do in the meantime.

I think the implication is that EVERYONE is probably out at YS, regardless of numbers. With such small class sizes, they can obviously afford to be picky.

I checked people with similar numbers to mine on LSN over the past few years. They had about a 60% chance at Stanford, 25% chance at Yale, and a 95% chance at Harvard. However, maybe I'd fall into the reject category at YS due to my softs?? Idk.

I'm going to try to get lab work in my year off to play up my Biology degree and potential interest in IP. I've heard researchers HATE patents because it makes many genes and other things off-limits for research. I want to see their side of the argument before I go out and fight for big biotech companies' rights to biological IP. I'm also hoping my interest in IP and science background will be a plus at Stanford since their IP program is so damn good.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:56 am

Verity wrote:

wtf??

numbers alone are for TTT institutions that have something to prove

here's a guy that considered SAT tutoring as a soft... he's got an uphill battle w/ admission committees that want more than just numbers (e.g. Yale, Stanford)

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:12 pm

pichu wrote:
Montevillian wrote:
Verity wrote:

wtf??

I checked people with similar numbers to mine on LSN over the past few years. They had about a 60% chance at Stanford, 25% chance at Yale, and a 95% chance at Harvard. However, maybe I'd fall into the reject category at YS due to my softs?? Idk.

I'm going to try to get lab work in my year off to play up my Biology degree and potential interest in IP. I've heard researchers HATE patents because it makes many genes and other things off-limits for research. I want to see their side of the argument before I go out and fight for big biotech companies' rights to biological IP. I'm also hoping my interest in IP and science background will be a plus at Stanford since their IP program is so damn good.

Bio IP usually requires a PhD to even get in the door. Basically anything but an EE undergrad tends to need a grad degree.

pichu

Postby pichu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:21 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Bio IP usually requires a PhD to even get in the door. Basically anything but an EE undergrad tends to need a grad degree.

Thanks for the heads up. I would hate to put down somewhere in my personal statement that I want to pursue patent law if I'm completely underqualified. I just did an extensive search and I read that you need a PhD for patent prosecution, but you can do patent litigation without a PhD. Some people even said liberal arts majors can do patent litigation. Thoughts anyone?

Also, where would a JD/MS in some sort of biology or biological engineering fall into the picture in terms of patent jobs?

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 am

Patent litigation is far different. But I know that even highly qualified grads with Chem PhD's are struggling to get in house. That being said I don't know what is going on generally.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:25 am

WarioLaw wrote:I think it's great how much you are planning and putting thought into this. However, and don't take this the wrong way, I would beware the color by numbers application. HYS all want people that can make unique contributions and have interesting backgrounds. Do something that will help you stand out. If you are another high GPA, high LSAT, some generic law experience and plain vanilla personal statement applicant, you may get bounced at HYS. Find something you are passionate about (great if it is outside of law), get some experience and make sure you separate yourself from the pack with a stellar personal statement. Just Apply. No one cares about softs.

FTFY

Return to “What are my chances?”