In need of some advice... 3.65 GPA 146 LSAT... PLEASE!!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
taxguy

Re: In need of some advice... 3.65 GPA 146 LSAT... PLEASE!!

Postby taxguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:18 pm

I certainly agree that you should retake the LSAt. However, if you don't do well, let me suggest some options besides not going to law school

First, there are some schools that will take a chance on applicants with a 3.5+ GPA but slightly below 150 LSAts. One such example is Ohio Northern University.
Here you are admitted for the summer program,which does count as full admission. Thus, you will get credit for the courses taken. In addition, taking the presummer program where they have some nururing will help you do well in the first year.

Secondly, There are some schools that will give you an alternative admission where you take two law school courses in an INTENSIVE six week summer program. If you score well on these courses you are admitted. Examples would be Nova University, Widener and George Mason. .However, this program is expensive and only admits about 30% of the students who utilize this program. Moreover, the courses that you take are NOT counted for law school credit even though they are full law school courses. Even worse, it is VERY intensive and hard. One huge advantage of doing the AAMPLE program is that it will give you a surprisingly decisive big edge on law students in the first year. Even if you get admitted to a better program, you should take advantage of the AAMPLE program if you receive an invite. It really will give you a big edge over all other first year students.

Good luck.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:Ya, I agree that I didn't give myself enough this past test (a month), but the test before I studied for a good 3 months, but I WILL conquer this test. I am going to print out those schedules as well as some other schedules I have began using. I know timing is one of my big issues right now as well as the reading section. When it comes to reading (I know this is going to make me sound not so bright), I am not used to reading such dense material-- so I guess I just need to constantly practice the reading sections? Any recommendation with that? Logic games come easy to me and logical reasoning is in the middle (I always get down to the two answers... the right answer being one of them, but I ALWAYS pick the wrong one, just my luck!). So, any study tactics that worked like a charm for you along with the schedules? One study schedule, I think pikes?, recommended doing logic games repeatedly (not the same day, but over a period of time) did you do that? If so, would you recommend that for logical reasoning and the reading sections too? Let me know :) Thanks for the advice!

FWIW, I studied for the LSAT for 6 months this year and I still only got 1 point over my cold diagnostic. The LSAT takes a lot of work.

I'm the same as you-- LG easy, RC hardest, LR in middle. I HIGHLY recommend PS for LR/LG, and the Manhattan Guide for RC. If you're good at LG, DO NOT SETTLE for anything less than consistent -0's in that section. LG is very learnable, and it's all about practicing and getting a rhythm/making it feel automatic. I consider LG a mental rest on the LSAT because so much of it is automatic for me now.

"I studied for the LSAT for 6 months this year and I still only got 1 point over my cold diagnostic." That's not very encouraging... so, did none of the studying material work? Or did you just have an extremely good cold diagnostic score? I'll have to check out the Manhattan Guide. I just got the LSAT blog study schedule and have pilthy's. What is PS'? I still have room for improvement on the LG's as I was missing -3 at my best. So, I can work on that and that will give me some "wiggle room." Thanks for the recommendations!

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:43 pm

taxguy wrote:I certainly agree that you should retake the LSAt. However, if you don't do well, let me suggest some options besides not going to law school

First, there are some schools that will take a chance on applicants with a 3.5+ GPA but slightly below 150 LSAts. One such example is Ohio Northern University.
Here you are admitted for the summer program,which does count as full admission. Thus, you will get credit for the courses taken. In addition, taking the presummer program where they have some nururing will help you do well in the first year.

Secondly, There are some schools that will give you an alternative admission where you take two law school courses in an INTENSIVE six week summer program. If you score well on these courses you are admitted. Examples would be Nova University, Widener and George Mason. .However, this program is expensive and only admits about 30% of the students who utilize this program. Moreover, the courses that you take are NOT counted for law school credit even though they are full law school courses. Even worse, it is VERY intensive and hard. One huge advantage of doing the AAMPLE program is that it will give you a surprisingly decisive big edge on law students in the first year. Even if you get admitted to a better program, you should take advantage of the AAMPLE program if you receive an invite. It really will give you a big edge over all other first year students.

Good luck.

Thanks for the words of advice... it's nice to see someone giving me another side of information. I have heard about this and may look into them. Do they have to offer these programs to you or do you apply for them? Another question, a little off topic, but do you know if someone in my chances has a better chance of getting accepting into PT programs?

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:06 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:
taxguy wrote:I certainly agree that you should retake the LSAt. However, if you don't do well, let me suggest some options besides not going to law school

Good luck.

Thanks for the words of advice... it's nice to see someone giving me another side of information. I have heard about this and may look into them. Do they have to offer these programs to you or do you apply for them? Another question, a little off topic, but do you know if someone in my chances has a better chance of getting accepting into PT programs?

The one at Ohio Northern is normal admission. Just applying to them will make you eligible for consideration. All other AAMPLE programs are by invitation only. Finally, you do have a somewhat better chance with PT programs,although it isn't that much better.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:55 am

taxguy wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:

Good luck.

The one at Ohio Northern is normal admission. Just applying to them will make you eligible for consideration. All other AAMPLE programs are by invitation only. Finally, you do have a somewhat better chance with PT programs,although it isn't that much better.

Also good to know. I've already started studying for the October test, so I know my score will go up, but always best to know my options. Thanks for you input and advice!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:27 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:"I studied for the LSAT for 6 months this year and I still only got 1 point over my cold diagnostic." That's not very encouraging... so, did none of the studying material work? Or did you just have an extremely good cold diagnostic score? I'll have to check out the Manhattan Guide. I just got the LSAT blog study schedule and have pilthy's. What is PS'? I still have room for improvement on the LG's as I was missing -3 at my best. So, I can work on that and that will give me some "wiggle room." Thanks for the recommendations!

Here's context for you. My diagnostic was a 168. I took the LSAT in Sept 09 and scored a 168 with v little prepwork, went back and studied my ass off for a retake (averaging ~173 for a PT) and got a 169. It was pretty soul crushing, but I DON'T think that it was because none of the studying helped.

Why? Well, when I was studying, my average breakdown looked something like LR (-1/-2) LG (-0) RC (-4). The day of, my breakdown looked like (-7/-1) LG (-0) RC (-4). The section I did the worst on was the first one of the test, which makes me think it was more anxiety than anything. With that said, of course it was still completely soulcrushing, but my point is that sometimes you need to really attack the test to improve. Theoretically with a 168 diagnostic, breaking 170 should be easy, but it's not that simple. It takes work, and in areas other than just preptests/drills sometimes.

Anyway, PS is Powerscore (they're the prep brand that produces the LG/LR/RC Bibles). Good luck on your retake, I hope we both do well.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:"I studied for the LSAT for 6 months this year and I still only got 1 point over my cold diagnostic." That's not very encouraging... so, did none of the studying material work? Or did you just have an extremely good cold diagnostic score? I'll have to check out the Manhattan Guide. I just got the LSAT blog study schedule and have pilthy's. What is PS'? I still have room for improvement on the LG's as I was missing -3 at my best. So, I can work on that and that will give me some "wiggle room." Thanks for the recommendations!

Here's context for you. My diagnostic was a 168. I took the LSAT in Sept 09 and scored a 168 with v little prepwork, went back and studied my ass off for a retake (averaging ~173 for a PT) and got a 169. It was pretty soul crushing, but I DON'T think that it was because none of the studying helped.

Why? Well, when I was studying, my average breakdown looked something like LR (-1/-2) LG (-0) RC (-4). The day of, my breakdown looked like (-7/-1) LG (-0) RC (-4). The section I did the worst on was the first one of the test, which makes me think it was more anxiety than anything. With that said, of course it was still completely soulcrushing, but my point is that sometimes you need to really attack the test to improve. Theoretically with a 168 diagnostic, breaking 170 should be easy, but it's not that simple. It takes work, and in areas other than just preptests/drills sometimes.

Anyway, PS is Powerscore (they're the prep brand that produces the LG/LR/RC Bibles). Good luck on your retake, I hope we both do well.

Good to know, I know my score will raise too, just lots of studying. Oh yes, I already have Powerscore! Thanks for the luck... good luck to you too... even though I have no doubt you will do great!

Return to “What are my chances?”