173 / 4.05 actuary

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Vaclac

173 / 4.05 actuary

Postby Vaclac » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of schools I might be able to get decent scholarships to with these numbers and also want to know what my odds would look like for getting it to Yale specifically. A couple of questions I have:

1. I have work experience as an actuary and recently got my Fellow of the Society of Actuaries designation. Those in this admittedly small field would know that requires a lot of work and commitment, but I'm not sure if adcoms would know or care at all.
2. If I really want to try for HYS, is it worthwhile to retake, or would retaking a 173 would just look neurotic. I PTed around 178 and had some particular issues with this test I don't imagine I would on a retake. I think I'd have a pretty solid shot at a 177+
3. Is there any logic to applying to Yale this year, then retaking and reapplying next year if rejected? Do they look favourably/unfavourably on that? If I get rejected and have to wait, it's not so bad cuz I could continue working and saving during that year so as to have less debt after law school.

Thanks for any of your thoughts :)

mattviphky

Re: 173 / 4.05 actuary

Postby mattviphky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:42 pm

everybody on here hates you. i have no real advice, just envy.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:46 pm

Vaclac wrote:Hi,

I was wondering what kind of schools I might be able to get decent scholarships to with these numbers and also want to know what my odds would look like for getting it to Yale specifically. A couple of questions I have:

1. I have work experience as an actuary and recently got my Fellow of the Society of Actuaries designation. Those in this admittedly small field would know that requires a lot of work and commitment, but I'm not sure if adcoms would know or care at all.
2. If I really want to try for HYS, is it worthwhile to retake, or would retaking a 173 would just look neurotic. I PTed around 178 and had some particular issues with this test I don't imagine I would on a retake. I think I'd have a pretty solid shot at a 177+
3. Is there any logic to applying to Yale this year, then retaking and reapplying next year if rejected? Do they look favourably/unfavourably on that? If I get rejected and have to wait, it's not so bad cuz I could continue working and saving during that year so as to have less debt after law school.

It seems to me that if you actually are an actuary, you'd be able to predict the odds of your success...

Vaclac

Postby Vaclac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:09 pm

theantiscalia wrote:

It seems to me that if you actually are an actuary, you'd be able to predict the odds of your success...

Haha, if only :(

Unfortunately the data to attempt such a calculation based off of seems to consist only of GPA/LSAT, so its hard to evaluate work experience or other factors. Data on scholarships seem sparse too, so I figured TLSers with experience in the admission process might have helpful info on some of the specific questions I asked about.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Vaclac wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:

Haha, if only :(

Unfortunately the data to attempt such a calculation based off of seems to consist only of GPA/LSAT, so its hard to evaluate work experience or other factors. Data on scholarships seem sparse too, so I figured TLSers with experience in the admission process might have helpful info on some of the specific questions I asked about.

Well, you are in luck! Numbers are all that really matter for schools that offer merit scholarships (Not HYS). Here is some data on it: http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=173&gpa=4. ... o&range=no I think it is a bit dated but it is about the same I think now that the big surge of law students is over.

Return to “What are my chances?”