3.6/177 good softs Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
calinerd

New

3.6/177 good softs

Post by calinerd » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone has a sense of how well splitters tend to do at T14 schools and especially T6. I have a 3.6 from a really good undergrad school and was super involved in student govt, but I'm a white female. I know its a long-shot with my gpa, but I was hoping that score could help a little.

Thanks!

Entchen

Silver

Re: 3.6/177 good softs

Post by Entchen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:28 am

I was a 3.5/177, and I got in to Columbia, if that helps. Didn't apply to any of the other T6s, though I would guess you'd be ok at Chicago & NYU.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:34 am

You should be just fine at CCN. HYS is tougher though with your GPA (unless of course your school practices extreme grade deflation).

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:52 am

You will likely get 2 or more of CCN (Chicago and NYU, Columbia is a wildcard). There is a small chance you could get Stanford or Harvard if your ug is top notch, you have a few years of quality work experience, and you put together a really great application. What was your UG major and school?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:07 am

Curious, is student gov your "good soft"? Also, agree with above posters, you will snag some T6

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 am

You may get a Darrow or full ride at VP. HYS is a tough nut to crack for you.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:12 am

Law Sauce wrote:You may get a Darrow or full ride at VP. HYS is a tough nut to crack for you.
But still worth the app fees.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:You may get a Darrow or full ride at VP. HYS is a tough nut to crack for you.
I would say Yale is not worth the app fee. I think the chances are so remote that OP may want to save the app fee and effort to write a 250.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:05 am

bdubs wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
I would say Yale is not worth the app fee. I think the chances are so remote that OP may want to save the app fee and effort to write a 250.
Agree with Heaven Wood. All, even Yale, are worth the effort and application fee. Seriously, too much effort? For a chance at Yale? Not a good excuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:08 am

Law Sauce wrote:
bdubs wrote:I would say Yale is not worth the app fee. I think the chances are so remote that OP may want to save the app fee and effort to write a 250.
Agree with Heaven Wood. All, even Yale, are worth the effort and application fee. Seriously, too much effort? For a chance at Yale? Not a good excuse.
Up to OP, but they are 0.21 below Yale's 25% GPA, are not URM, and haven't revealed any Yale level softs. Don't know if it can get more remote.

Also, the 177 is a great score which is above the 75% for Yale, but I doubt that they really care that much when it comes to bumping up their 75% (or even median). Yale will not be unseated as the #1 for USNews for lack of good LSATs.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:15 am

bdubs wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
bdubs wrote:I would say Yale is not worth the app fee. I think the chances are so remote that OP may want to save the app fee and effort to write a 250.
Up to OP, but they are 0.21 below Yale's 25% GPA, are not URM, and haven't revealed any Yale level softs. Don't know if it can get more remote.

Also, the 177 is a great score which is above the 75% for Yale, but I doubt that they really care that much when it comes to bumping up their 75% (or even median). Yale will not be unseated as the #1 for USNews for lack of good LSATs.
Yup, very little shot, but worth a try. great app and great lsat may do it. Yale doesn't care about numbers to the point of being formulaistic that makes him have no chance. They just admit the best people in the class, if you can prove that you are one through lsat and writing or something, you may have a shot. Just saying, long shot, but worth the shot.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:16 am

bdubs wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:

I didn't say Yale was a likely prospect, but unless the application fee would present a financial hardship, I don't see why it isn't worth a shot.

Douglb1

New

Post by Douglb1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:39 am

Last edited by Douglb1 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

calinerd

New

Post by calinerd » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:21 am

bdubs wrote:You will likely get 2 or more of CCN (Chicago and NYU, Columbia is a wildcard). There is a small chance you could get Stanford or Harvard if your ug is top notch, you have a few years of quality work experience, and you put together a really great application. What was your UG major and school?
I wasn't planning on applying to Yale, anyway (I kind of agree with what other people have said). I was a math major, which could be diversity points or it could look bad- I'm not really sure. My work experience is in consulting.

I'm also really interested in Boalt so it is good to hear from Douglb1 because I thought may chances weren't looking good there.

MaxWeber

New

Post by MaxWeber » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Douglb1 wrote:I had a 3.6/177 and got in at Columbia/NYU/Boalt this cycle but I didn't try for HYS so that's a tough call. With good softs I would imagine you at least have a chance at Harvard or Stanford.
your GPA will keep you out at SLS/YLS unless you are URM. apply early in cycle to Harvard, low chance but worth a shot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”