3.96/173

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jw176

3.96/173

Postby jw176 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm trying to come up with a list of schools to apply to this fall, and I wanted to ask the TLS community for its input. I have a 3.96 LSAC GPA as a Bio/Neuroscience major from a top UG and just got my June LSAT score of 173. I think I have decent softs, but certainly nothing spectacular. I would obviously love to go HYS, but barring a miracle, I'm probably just going to go where the money takes me. Having said that, what schools should I apply to if I want a shot at a full scholarship? I'm definitely applying to some of the lower T14 in hopes of some money, but I'd be willing to go outside of T14 for a full ride. Thanks for any help!

D-hops

Re: 3.96/173

Postby D-hops » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Go to med school.

In all seriousness, blanket the T14, you will probable get at least one of YHS and money from the rest.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Apply to T14--all of them. 15-25 in regions you'd like to work in and see who spits out the most $. You're likely to get yield protect waitlists from 15-25, which are curable with LOCIs.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Best Full ride chances are in the T14 probably, M (Darrow), UVa, Duke, Cornell, also Vandy maybe even Chicago

But shoot for YHS and then CNN with likely some money to one or more of them

edit: I wouldnt even bother with 15-30, youll get big money somewhere in the t14 id guess

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:08 pm

+1 about going to Med School....

Don't settle for anything less than HYS (maybe CLS, but I'm biased towards CLS for an obvious reason) or a full-ride at a T10 (in the running Darrow at Michigan, full rides and UVA and Penn).

Just get your apps ready early, and quadruple check everything.

blink

Postby blink » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Last edited by blink on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 pm

blink wrote:people like you who create a "chances" thread need to be permabanned, dragged behind the woodshed, and shot.

He was asking about full rides, which can be difficult to find LSN/TLS info on. If you don't like his thread, don't post in it.

OP - You'll get fee waivers from almost every top school, so just apply broadly to places that are free if you're looking for big scholarships. You are in great shape for several T-14 full rides, though, as I know people with slightly worse stats who got Darrows, Levies, and the UVA full ride. Best of luck.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:35 pm

You know I love you, but really? The sample size is so small with these scholarships, and a lot of people on LSN don't put any scholarship info, and I know a ton of people on TLS who keep full ride info to themselves. The links are nice, and sort of helpful, but they don't really tell him his chances of getting a full ride. I'm not even a fan of this forum, I just don't think OP's question was egregiously stupid or worth mocking. That's all.

<3

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Dany wrote:You know I love you, but really? The sample size is so small with these scholarships, and a lot of people on LSN don't put any scholarship info, and I know a ton of people on TLS who keep full ride info to themselves. The links are nice, and sort of helpful, but they don't really tell him his chances of getting a full ride. I'm not even a fan of this forum, I just don't think OP's question was egregiously stupid or worth mocking. That's all.

<3

Oh I agree I don't think it's worth mocking. I think the credited response is apply to all and leverage leverage leverage (which isn't really common knowledge). Though to be fair, it is pretty easy to search for one of the million threads on this topic that all get the same answer. Even if one of them is more likely to give a full ride, OP (and people like OP) should apply to all because pitting schools against each other is the best thing to do when you're looking for $.

On a side note: why did it take the 6th response (yours) to have TCR?

ETA: I take that back. It's actually ridiculously hard to find this response via the search function.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:49 pm

bk1 wrote:Oh I agree I don't think it's worth mocking. I think the credited response is apply to all and leverage leverage leverage (which isn't really common knowledge). Though to be fair, it is pretty easy to search for one of the million threads on this topic that all get the same answer. Even if one of them is more likely to give a full ride, OP (and people like OP) should apply to all because pitting schools against each other is the best thing to do when you're looking for $.

On a side note: why did it take the 6th response (yours) to have TCR?

ETA: I take that back. It's actually ridiculously hard to find this response via the search function.

Great advice;

I don't know;

and :P

jw176

Postby jw176 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone! Since I'd really like to work in Texas (or somewhere in the South) afterwards, would it be a good idea to apply to UT Austin as well?

Lol at the med school responses. Everyone I know tells me that, but even though I love the subjects, I just have no desire to be a doctor. I apologize if I asked anything stupid. I'm always so anxious about posting on these forums. Sorry! And btw, I'm a girl. :P

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:34 pm

jw176 wrote:Since I'd really like to work in Texas (or somewhere in the South) afterwards, would it be a good idea to apply to UT Austin as well?

Yep. You'll get a fee waiver, so it'll only be $12. Also apply for the Law Merit Scholars award at Vandy, which is full ride plus a stipend. Both of these points are probably moot, though, since you'll probably land huge scholarships in the T10.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:57 am

jw176 wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone! Since I'd really like to work in Texas (or somewhere in the South) afterwards, would it be a good idea to apply to UT Austin as well?

Lol at the med school responses. Everyone I know tells me that, but even though I love the subjects, I just have no desire to be a doctor. I apologize if I asked anything stupid. I'm always so anxious about posting on these forums. Sorry! And btw, I'm a girl. :P

Texas will give you a full ride. Negotiate hard to get a living expense stipend.

jw176

Postby jw176 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:36 pm

Actually, I have another question that just came up. I'm going into my senior year of UG right now, and my first choice would definitely be to do Teach for America after graduation. After meeting with an on-campus recruiter my freshman year, I've been pretty set on this, that is, if they accept me of course. Up until now, I just assumed that I would apply to both law school and TFA this year and then ask for a deferral if I get in to TFA. However, I've read that scholarship offers may not be deferred for some law schools though, so now I'm wondering, would it be a better idea to just altogether wait to apply to law school in this case? The obvious downside to this would be that I'll be scrambling for something else to do for a year if I don't get into TFA (which is quite likely given how competitive it is).

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:37 pm

You're correct that scholarships typically cannot be deferred. I also think you should wait to apply after you've done TFA, but have a contingency plan in case you don't get it. Apply to TFA in the first round, and you'll know by November 9* if you're accepted or not. Then you can decide whether or not to send in applications to law school. Go ahead and get LORs and your PS done - you can keep the LORs for future years on LSDAS, I believe. If you do get TFA, don't send any applications in this year, and just wait. Your application will be stronger for it.

*Edit - this was last year's first deadline date. I'd expect this year's to be similar.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:59 am

jw176 wrote:Actually, I have another question that just came up. I'm going into my senior year of UG right now, and my first choice would definitely be to do Teach for America after graduation. After meeting with an on-campus recruiter my freshman year, I've been pretty set on this, that is, if they accept me of course. Up until now, I just assumed that I would apply to both law school and TFA this year and then ask for a deferral if I get in to TFA. However, I've read that scholarship offers may not be deferred for some law schools though, so now I'm wondering, would it be a better idea to just altogether wait to apply to law school in this case? The obvious downside to this would be that I'll be scrambling for something else to do for a year if I don't get into TFA (which is quite likely given how competitive it is).

Get a full ride at Northwestern. They will actually insist that you defer your scholarship for a year and get some work experience.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:45 am

D-hops wrote:
jw176 wrote:Actually, I have another question that just came up. I'm going into my senior year of UG right now, and my first choice would definitely be to do Teach for America after graduation. After meeting with an on-campus recruiter my freshman year, I've been pretty set on this, that is, if they accept me of course. Up until now, I just assumed that I would apply to both law school and TFA this year and then ask for a deferral if I get in to TFA. However, I've read that scholarship offers may not be deferred for some law schools though, so now I'm wondering, would it be a better idea to just altogether wait to apply to law school in this case? The obvious downside to this would be that I'll be scrambling for something else to do for a year if I don't get into TFA (which is quite likely given how competitive it is).

Get a full ride at Northwestern. They will actually insist that you defer your scholarship for a year and get some work experience.

TFA is two years

Return to “What are my chances?”