168/3.63

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

168/3.63

Postby lightswitch » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:38 pm

I took the LSAT twice, once in February and again in June, and got 168 both times (consistency!)

As it says in the subject, I have a 3.63 overall GPA at NYU, I'm double majoring in Politics and Economics, with a 3.77 and 3.69 GPA for each major.

What are my chances of getting into a T14/T10? Should I retake a third time in October and hope to get that elusive 170+?

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:50 pm

You are pretty much my twin (168/3.68). Went to a similarly strong UG, also double majored with GPAs that were individually higher than my LSAC GPA :? .

I got shut out of the T-14, though I did not apply everywhere: Cornell WL, Michigan Reject, UVA Reject. What state are you from, NY? I think you have a very good chance at Cornell, maybe Georgetown as well. Everything outside of YHS,CCN is worth an application IMO.

Apply early, and figure out if there's a school you'd be willing to apply to E.D.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:51 pm

lightswitch wrote:I took the LSAT twice, once in February and again in June, and got 168 both times (consistency!)

As it says in the subject, I have a 3.63 overall GPA at NYU, I'm double majoring in Politics and Economics, with a 3.77 and 3.69 GPA for each major.

What are my chances of getting into a T14/T10? Should I retake a third time in October and hope to get that elusive 170+?


You can try thats up to you. Right now, you have a very small shot with an ED to MVP and a slightly better shot at Cornell or Gtown. Texas and Vandy are probably your slight reaches with GW, BU, BC, UCLA, USC, WUSTL etc. being your targets. Cornell is probably your best hope of T14.

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby lightswitch » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Would y'all recommend an October retake? Would hitting that elusive 170+ barrier improve my chances of getting into, say, NYU law or Duke law? Feel free to laugh if you must, my dreams already took a big hit from the repeat 168 yesterday.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:01 pm

lightswitch wrote:Would y'all recommend an October retake? Would hitting that elusive 170+ barrier improve my chances of getting into, say, NYU law or Duke law? Feel free to laugh if you must, my dreams already took a big hit from the repeat 168 yesterday.


Perhaps, I have heard of the third times the charm for a few people, but usually not. You can still get into great school with your numbers just not many t14s.

To answer your question, yes 170+ would help you get into Gtown, Cornell, possibly Duke, but no it would almost certainly not get you into NYU unless it was like 173+.

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby aaaaaah » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Same #s, decent softs, shut out of T-14. Highest I got was UCLA (didn't apply to Texas/Vanderbilt though-- think you might have a decent shot at those) and waitlists at Cornell and Michigan. Pretty decent money @ a lot of schools from 18-30. I do think a 170 would help a lot.

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby lightswitch » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:02 pm

The only thing I'm worried about is doing worse on the October test. I usually PT in the 170s (173-177), but so far on test day I've done much worse than my PTs; getting lower than 168 would be bad, right?

If I don't retake, what're my chances at Georgetown? Also, assuming I don't get into a T14, what difference in terms of where we end up after law school would going T30 make?

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:05 pm

lightswitch wrote:The only thing I'm worried about is doing worse on the October test. I usually PT in the 170s (173-177), but so far on test day I've done much worse than my PTs; getting lower than 168 would be bad, right?

If I don't retake, what're my chances at Georgetown? Also, assuming I don't get into a T14, what difference in terms of where we end up after law school would going T30 make?


Not really, worse score wont really hurt you at all. You can only gain really. Plus, this is always a fear of people but almost no one does worse, some get the same, but almost no ones does worse.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby albanach » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:07 pm

lightswitch wrote:The only thing I'm worried about is doing worse on the October test. I usually PT in the 170s (173-177), but so far on test day I've done much worse than my PTs; getting lower than 168 would be bad, right?

If I don't retake, what're my chances at Georgetown? Also, assuming I don't get into a T14, what difference in terms of where we end up after law school would going T30 make?


Once you're below the T14, I don't think a lower score will make much difference. The schools are still going to appreciate your solid GPA and highest LSAT.

My third LSAT took me from 168 to 173. Of course the stats from LSAC show that's unusual, but it can be done and a jump like that would transform your cycle.

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby lightswitch » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks for all the help/advice. It'd be a hassle to go through the LSAT studying process again, but if you guys say it's worth it, then I'm seriously considering it.

When you say I have a small shot at MVP and a slightly better shot at Cornell/G'town, what exactly do you mean? Is a small shot like a 1-5% chance, or is small like 10-15%? And slightly better would be ~5% difference?

I'm really grateful for all of this, I couldn't sleep last night after getting a 168 again and not having a clue as to what I should do. Assuming that I do retake the LSAT, should I still ED the T14 with my current score and tell them I'm retaking, or should I just wait until after October to apply?

Thanks again.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:15 pm

You really don't have a shot at the T14. People who are saying MVP or GULC are being ridiculous considering there are only 2 T14's that you are even in the game at (UMich and Cornell).

Wait until your October score before deciding where to ED. If you don't get a 170+, you should ED at UMich.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: 168/3.63

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:26 pm

lightswitch wrote:Thanks for all the help/advice. It'd be a hassle to go through the LSAT studying process again, but if you guys say it's worth it, then I'm seriously considering it.

When you say I have a small shot at MVP and a slightly better shot at Cornell/G'town, what exactly do you mean? Is a small shot like a 1-5% chance, or is small like 10-15%? And slightly better would be ~5% difference?

I'm really grateful for all of this, I couldn't sleep last night after getting a 168 again and not having a clue as to what I should do. Assuming that I do retake the LSAT, should I still ED the T14 with my current score and tell them I'm retaking, or should I just wait until after October to apply?

Thanks again.


I think most people mean around 20% or so when they say "small shot." I have the same LSAT as you and am considering retaking in October as well, and I've been thinking about my possible ED strategy as well. PM me if you want to share thoughts on it.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:43 pm

bk1 wrote:You really don't have a shot at the T14. People who are saying MVP or GULC are being ridiculous considering there are only 2 T14's that you are even in the game at (UMich and Cornell).

Wait until your October score before deciding where to ED. If you don't get a 170+, you should ED at UMich.


People who are suggesting Michigan are being ridiculous because you're in the game at Michigan? :wink:

OP, you'll also have to consider how each school treats multiple lsats. Northwestern, for example, only takes the highest lsat, so if you improved to a 171 you'd be looking better there (esp. with work experience). Georgetown, on the other hand, will average your lsat scores, because for evaluation purposes they automatically average lsat scores for applicants who have taken it more than twice (so a 171 on the 3rd attempt makes you a 169 in their eyes).

I don't know the policies for all the T-14. Off top of head, Cornell takes highest score if it's at least 3 points higher. Duke averages scores unless you convince them to take highest score via compelling addendum.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Cade McNown wrote:People who are suggesting Michigan are being ridiculous because you're in the game at Michigan? :wink:

Ha, you know what I meant.

Cade McNown wrote:OP, you'll also have to consider how each school treats multiple lsats. Northwestern, for example, only takes the highest lsat, so if you improved to a 171 you'd be looking better there (esp. with work experience). Georgetown, on the other hand, will average your lsat scores, because for evaluation purposes they automatically average lsat scores for applicants who have taken it more than twice (so a 171 on the 3rd attempt makes you a 169 in their eyes).

I don't know the policies for all the T-14. Off top of head, Cornell takes highest score if it's at least 3 points higher. Duke averages scores unless you convince them to take highest score via compelling addendum.


I don't agree with you here. What schools say they do and what they actually do differ in this regard. A lot of their policies and statements i/r/t multiple scores is old and outdated.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: 168/3.63

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:24 pm

bk1 wrote:I don't agree with you here. What schools say they do and what they actually do differ in this regard. A lot of their policies and statements i/r/t multiple scores is old and outdated.


I think that's speculative, but ok. As for being outdated, as far as I've seen every school updated their stated 'multiple lsat' policies when the ABA began requiring that schools report students' highest scores. That happened recently, so I don't think these policies are old. But this is just nitpicking as far as OP should be concerned, and really only becomes relevant if/when OP retakes and improves that lsat score.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cjsanders2 and 6 guests