3.5/174 Engineering

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
danimalplanet

3.5/174 Engineering

Postby danimalplanet » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:23 pm

3.5 in Engineering at top 10 undergrad, will have 2.5 yrs work experience at application time in software

Looking for T14, planning on going for IP. Would like to practice law in CA after graduation.

Thanks everyone!!

edit: not a URM

czelede

Re: 3.5/174 Engineering

Postby czelede » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Everywhere minus HYS. ED to one of CCN if you have a preference.

Edit: Boalt is a maybe. Columbia is less likely than the other two of CCN.

The engineering will be fairly irrelevant in admissions, but will help you with the job search.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:41 pm

I think you'd be in at Boalt if you tailored your PS to them and expressed your interest in IP while highlighting your engineering background. Great IP school and great place if you want to work IP in CA.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 pm

danimalplanet wrote:3.5 in Engineering at top 10 undergrad, will have 2.5 yrs work experience at application time in software

Looking for T14, planning on going for IP. Would like to practice law in CA after graduation.

Thanks everyone!!

edit: not a URM

What kind of engineering did you do? I would ask around on this forum to see how marketable your degree is for IP before you go too far down the law school route.

danimalplanet

Postby danimalplanet » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Chemical Engineering

1st choice would be Stanford (if possible), next choice maybe Boalt/Chicago?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:00 pm

danimalplanet wrote:Chemical Engineering

If WE is great than Stanford. They are really a black box though so who knows. Boalt is good shot. Those are your top two Id say. CCN are next.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:04 pm

With that background, however, you will be in a great position to compete for IP jobs from any top school. So you could just go to the T10 that gives you the best scholarship. Since you have that going for you already, you dont need to rely on your school's name quite as much as long as it is a top school. Statistics may not be as helpful for you because most people dont have your background. If instance CA is very tough for most people so going to UVa or Duke or even Gtown or Cornell may be a not great choice for them if they are only set on CA. But with your background, it would be much less risky.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Kinda doubt that Stanford dips to 3.5 even with a hard major. I think you're likely at Boalt even though they like GPAs here quite a bit (I've known a lot of classmates recently that got in with GPAs that in past years wouldn't have been in at Boalt, so I think you're solid). I'd say solid at Chicago, maybe with some money. I would say ED Chicago if it's your second choice, but Boalt is the #2 IP school in the nation (I think? Not an IP person) and if you ED, you might miss out on some money.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Law Sauce wrote:

If WE is great than Stanford. They are really a black box though so who knows. Boalt is good shot. Those are your top two Id say. CCN are next.

You're being way too generous, since OP isn't a URM. The engineering/good school pedigree really won't help him much. 2.5 years in software? Not exactly groundbreaking.

Look, OP. You have a good chance at Chicago on down, but if you really want it an ED is the way to go (otherwise you risk rejection/waitlists). Columbia may happen; HYS won't. Really hit the application out of the ballpark for Boalt, as they aren't going to cut you a break simply because you were an engineer - there are more of those than you think. There are a ton of kids with 3.5/17x numbers outright rejected from Boalt; from a cursory look at LSN I'd say your chances are 50/50 *at best*. When it comes to Stanford, even 4 years in big 4 management consulting would make things damn near impossible with that GPA. They have a tiny class and put a huge emphasis on both numbers AND softs. I don't think they've taken a 3.5 non-URM in years now, period.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:54 pm

czelede wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:

You're being way too generous, since OP isn't a URM. The engineering/good school pedigree really won't help him much. 2.5 years in software? Not exactly groundbreaking.

Look, OP. You have a good chance at Chicago on down, but if you really want it an ED is the way to go (otherwise you risk rejection/waitlists). Columbia may happen; HYS won't. Really hit the application out of the ballpark for Boalt, as they aren't going to cut you a break simply because you were an engineer - there are more of those than you think. There are a ton of kids with 3.5/17x numbers outright rejected from Boalt; from a cursory look at LSN I'd say your chances are 50/50 *at best*. When it comes to Stanford, even 4 years in big 4 management consulting would make things damn near impossible with that GPA. They have a tiny class and put a huge emphasis on both numbers AND softs. I don't think they've taken a 3.5 non-URM in years now, period.

I agree, I meant that if he had exceptional meaning really exceptional WE while he was working he maybe would have a chance at Standford. otherwise Boalt and CCN are the goals meaning as good a chance of getting in as not getting in

danimalplanet

Postby danimalplanet » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks for the help everyone!

I don't plan to apply early anywhere because Stanford/Berk do not have ED programs

I fully assume that I will not get into S/H, but there's nothing to lose but $150 in app fees

So hopefully Berk/Chicago/CN/Mich, after that it seems to gets a bit rough in terms of schools who have good hiring for the west coast

Return to “What are my chances?”