3.74/170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jwahba

3.74/170

Postby jwahba » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Currently a student at a CSU (SJSU) Political science major graduating spring of 2012, with a 3.74 and just got a 170 on the LSAT. If I wait till fall grades come out, I can pull it up to a 3.76. If I wait a year, I can pull a 3.8 by the day of my graduation. I want to apply to Stanford, UCB, UCLA, Davis and Santa Clara so three questions:

1. Should I wait for fall grades to come out before applying?
2. Should I wait till I graduate and apply the year after?
3. Any schools you can recommend that would give me enough connections to help me work in the bay area?

Thank you for your help.

Law Sauce

Re: 3.74/170

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

jwahba wrote:Currently a student at a CSU (SJSU) Political science major graduating spring of 2012, with a 3.74 and just got a 170 on the LSAT. If I wait till fall grades come out, I can pull it up to a 3.76. If I wait a year, I can pull a 3.8 by the day of my graduation. I want to apply to Stanford, UCB, UCLA, Davis and Santa Clara so three questions:

1. Should I wait for fall grades to come out before applying?
2. Should I wait till I graduate and apply the year after?
3. Any schools you can recommend that would give me enough connections to help me work in the bay area?

Thank you for your help.

I would say

1. No, early is bigger help than tiny bit higher grades, plus you can send them in as a LOCI if you want (you should do this).
2. No, unless you want to for other reasons. Won't really help much if at all.
3. Boalt for sure is your goal. Try to get there. If not that than probably the best school you can get into or perhaps UCLA with scholarship. UCLA may even throw close to a full ride in which case that would be the best option. CCN is not out of the question as well which can get you back as well as MVP if none of these other options work out. If you already have connections there, you will be at an advantage over other students who have no connection to the area, if you go to any top school (t10 or so).

jwahba

Postby jwahba » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks for the reply,

I was wondering, what is the lowest ranked out-of-area school that would still have enough prestige to get interviewers coming from bay area firms? MVP or does it go lower?

jwahba

Postby jwahba » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:46 am

Also, according to LSP, my GPA and LSAT put me at a weak consider for Stanford. Should I trust that and give it a shot, or does coming from a CSU count too much against me for Stanford?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:46 am

jwahba wrote:Thanks for the reply,

I was wondering, what is the lowest ranked out-of-area school that would still have enough prestige to get interviewers coming from bay area firms? MVP or does it go lower?

You can get back from any T50 school, you just need better grades the farther down you go. I'd say as low as Vandy has a shot to get interviews from top 1/3 maybe, just guessing totally. t10 has a better shot I'd guess, and maybe more grade leeway, not sure. check out nalpdirectory.com to find how many firms from CA go to different school's OCI. Keep in mind that schools also have regional job fairs often in CA.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:49 am

jwahba wrote:Also, according to LSP, my GPA and LSAT put me at a weak consider for Stanford. Should I trust that and give it a shot, or does coming from a CSU count too much against me for Stanford?

You can try it. Why not? You never know. S seems to like incredible personal stories and/or great softs. But they will reach to your numbers sometimes. But it is a really really long shot I'd guess.

Return to “What are my chances?”