BigLaw from IU-B

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

BigLaw from IU-B

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Any shot of this? Doesn't seem like it. Just got a 168 and it appears they throw full rides at you for that. Any shot at BigLaw from there. Doesn't really seem like it. Any insight?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13547
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:28 pm

TheZoid wrote:Any shot of this? Doesn't seem like it. Just got a 168 and it appears they throw full rides at you for that. Any shot at BigLaw from there. Doesn't really seem like it. Any insight?

What's your GPA?

Nevermind. I see. bad.

I wouldn't count on having any reasonable shot at big law out of IU-B.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:34 pm

Lol thanks for the reply. Didn't really think so. Kinda weird that WUSTL is only a few spots higher in the rankings yet places pretty well into BigLaw at 27%. Full ride is tempting but if there are no job prospects I don't really see the point.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:36 pm

27% is 2009, it's like 17% now. IU is a decent school, but you should go to WUSTL or UIUC over them if offered reasonable money.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks ND. People on here seem to think 168 gets you 20K at WashU, I guess that's reasonable money.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:51 pm

TheZoid wrote:Thanks ND. People on here seem to think 168 gets you 20K at WashU, I guess that's reasonable money.


20K at WUSTL >> full ride for IU. I think I was like one of the only 168s not to get into WUSTL because I applied on February 5th or something. Don't do that.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:34 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Thanks ND. People on here seem to think 168 gets you 20K at WashU, I guess that's reasonable money.


20K at WUSTL >> full ride for IU. I think I was like one of the only 168s not to get into WUSTL because I applied on February 5th or something. Don't do that.


haha damn sorry to hear that, appreciate the heads up tho.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:39 pm

TheZoid wrote:Any shot of this? Doesn't seem like it. Just got a 168 and it appears they throw full rides at you for that. Any shot at BigLaw from there. Doesn't really seem like it. Any insight?


Not much shot for Biglaw outside of Indianapolis because IU is new to the t30. You would need to be very top of your class. Wustl is honestly not that much better because it is also new to its highish ranking. Wustl is still better than illinois or indiana, but ND or BC, BU, Fordham for east coast may be better choices. For the midwest though, wustl probably is the best below Vandy

This doesn't mean that a full ride there may not be the right choice though even over 15k or 20k from wustl or seomthing for many career paths. Short of vandy or t14 none of these schools give a great chance of biglaw.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:51 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Any shot of this? Doesn't seem like it. Just got a 168 and it appears they throw full rides at you for that. Any shot at BigLaw from there. Doesn't really seem like it. Any insight?


Not much shot for Biglaw outside of Indianapolis because IU is new to the t30. You would need to be very top of your class. Wustl is honestly not that much better because it is also new to its highish ranking. Wustl is still better than illinois or indiana, but ND or BC, BU, Fordham for east coast may be better choices. For the midwest though, wustl probably is the best below Vandy

This doesn't mean that a full ride there may not be the right choice though even over 15k or 20k from wustl or seomthing for many career paths. Short of vandy or t14 none of these schools give a great chance of biglaw.


WUSTL is not better than UIUC or NDLS, they are peers. NDLS actually outplaced both by 6% on the latest NLJ numbers.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13547
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:52 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Any shot of this? Doesn't seem like it. Just got a 168 and it appears they throw full rides at you for that. Any shot at BigLaw from there. Doesn't really seem like it. Any insight?


Not much shot for Biglaw outside of Indianapolis because IU is new to the t30. You would need to be very top of your class. Wustl is honestly not that much better because it is also new to its highish ranking. Wustl is still better than illinois or indiana, but ND or BC, BU, Fordham for east coast may be better choices. For the midwest though, wustl probably is the best below Vandy

This doesn't mean that a full ride there may not be the right choice though even over 15k or 20k from wustl or seomthing for many career paths. Short of vandy or t14 none of these schools give a great chance of biglaw.


WUSTL is not better than UIUC or NDLS, they are peers. NDLS actually outplaced both by 6% on the latest NLJ numbers.

Wonder where you go to school...

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks LawSauce. I would love one of the East Coast schools you mentioned, but I don't think my 2.65 is going to get the job done. Any thoughts on a similar school that might dip below a three?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Flips88 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Any shot of this? Doesn't seem like it. Just got a 168 and it appears they throw full rides at you for that. Any shot at BigLaw from there. Doesn't really seem like it. Any insight?


Not much shot for Biglaw outside of Indianapolis because IU is new to the t30. You would need to be very top of your class. Wustl is honestly not that much better because it is also new to its highish ranking. Wustl is still better than illinois or indiana, but ND or BC, BU, Fordham for east coast may be better choices. For the midwest though, wustl probably is the best below Vandy

This doesn't mean that a full ride there may not be the right choice though even over 15k or 20k from wustl or seomthing for many career paths. Short of vandy or t14 none of these schools give a great chance of biglaw.


WUSTL is not better than UIUC or NDLS, they are peers. NDLS actually outplaced both by 6% on the latest NLJ numbers.

Wonder where you go to school...


And, your point? I've told people not to go to NDLS many times. Just pointing out that the previous poster was not correct by asserting that WUSTL is "the best" non T14 in the midwest.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:06 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Any shot of this? Doesn't seem like it. Just got a 168 and it appears they throw full rides at you for that. Any shot at BigLaw from there. Doesn't really seem like it. Any insight?


Not much shot for Biglaw outside of Indianapolis because IU is new to the t30. You would need to be very top of your class. Wustl is honestly not that much better because it is also new to its highish ranking. Wustl is still better than illinois or indiana, but ND or BC, BU, Fordham for east coast may be better choices. For the midwest though, wustl probably is the best below Vandy

This doesn't mean that a full ride there may not be the right choice though even over 15k or 20k from wustl or seomthing for many career paths. Short of vandy or t14 none of these schools give a great chance of biglaw.


WUSTL is not better than UIUC or NDLS, they are peers. NDLS actually outplaced both by 6% on the latest NLJ numbers.


Thats exactly what I said actually.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Any shot of this? Doesn't seem like it. Just got a 168 and it appears they throw full rides at you for that. Any shot at BigLaw from there. Doesn't really seem like it. Any insight?


Not much shot for Biglaw outside of Indianapolis because IU is new to the t30. You would need to be very top of your class. Wustl is honestly not that much better because it is also new to its highish ranking. Wustl is still better than illinois or indiana, but ND or BC, BU, Fordham for east coast may be better choices. For the midwest though, wustl probably is the best below VandyThis doesn't mean that a full ride there may not be the right choice though even over 15k or 20k from wustl or seomthing for many career paths. Short of vandy or t14 none of these schools give a great chance of biglaw.


WUSTL is not better than UIUC or NDLS, they are peers. NDLS actually outplaced both by 6% on the latest NLJ numbers.


Thats exactly what I said actually.


Emphasis added

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:09 pm

TheZoid wrote:Thanks LawSauce. I would love one of the East Coast schools you mentioned, but I don't think my 2.65 is going to get the job done. Any thoughts on a similar school that might dip below a three?


Not really sure. You may be one of the people that can take advantage of Indiana's attempts to push up the rankings. They may be your best choice at the end of your cycle. IU may be able to give you a fresh start. Even though Biglaw is a long shot. There still are lots of opportunities there.

I think you are right to try Indiana and wustl. These schools take splitters. Unfortunately BC, W&M etc. are probably going to be rough with your gpa.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:10 pm

TheZoid wrote:Thanks LawSauce. I would love one of the East Coast schools you mentioned, but I don't think my 2.65 is going to get the job done. Any thoughts on a similar school that might dip below a three?


Only places are WUSTL and UIUC in the T25. Only other option w/ that GPA would be to get WE, retake and try for a 171 ish and then ED NU.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:14 pm

You have a shot at biglaw from any school, but at schools such as IUB the vast majority of the time you are not going to get it so I hope you are okay with other types of legal jobs.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Not much shot for Biglaw outside of Indianapolis because IU is new to the t30. You would need to be very top of your class. Wustl is honestly not that much better because it is also new to its highish ranking. Wustl is still better than illinois or indiana, but ND or BC, BU, Fordham for east coast may be better choices. For the midwest though, wustl probably is the best below VandyThis doesn't mean that a full ride there may not be the right choice though even over 15k or 20k from wustl or seomthing for many career paths. Short of vandy or t14 none of these schools give a great chance of biglaw.


WUSTL is not better than UIUC or NDLS, they are peers. NDLS actually outplaced both by 6% on the latest NLJ numbers.


Thats exactly what I said actually.


Emphasis added


Look the sentence before, "Wustl is still better than illinois or indiana, but ND or BC, BU, Fordham for east coast may be better choices." This is what I was referring to. I meant they are just as good. "wustl probably is the best below Vandy" is still probably true even if they are all roughly the same i.e. peers. Strictly for midwest, wustl is probably at least as good as ND, though maybe not better (if defined as Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis, etc.). Is it just that wustl does not have the national reach as ND. So maybe ND is little better overall. Either way, I meant to imply they are peers and I think you agree.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby Verity » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:23 pm

What bk said is credited. You can get Biglaw from IU-B, provided you are at the top of your class, let's say top 10% to have a very good shot, and you must interview well. Plus, you'll have a much easier time applying to Biglaw jobs in the Midwest, like Chicago and Indy, unless you have strong ties to the East Coast. At ND and WUSTL, top 20-25% will probably yield the same results, so there is less risk.

If you can't pass a class, then you should be at Yale with all the other wimps and fatties.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Only places are WUSTL and UIUC in the T25. Only other option w/ that GPA would be to get WE, retake and try for a 171 ish and then ED NU.[/quote]

UIB is tied at 23, but I guess you meant only other places. I actually have two years work experience, I'm just not sure about the 171. I studied really hard this go around, had five tests in the 170's going into the test and then came out with 168. I'm not thrilled with it, but not that disappointed either. Test day is test day, and I still have some nice opportunities and possible scholarship offers so we'll see what happens.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: BigLaw from IU-B

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:43 pm

TheZoid wrote:Only places are WUSTL and UIUC in the T25. Only other option w/ that GPA would be to get WE, retake and try for a 171 ish and then ED NU.


UIB is tied at 23, but I guess you meant only other places. I actually have two years work experience, I'm just not sure about the 171. I studied really hard this go around, had five tests in the 170's going into the test and then came out with 168. I'm not thrilled with it, but not that disappointed either. Test day is test day, and I still have some nice opportunities and possible scholarship offers so we'll see what happens.


True but a few more points and you can help at least one median of a school. Could help could not, not sure.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010 and 4 guests