168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby TheZoid » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:25 pm

I know, I know, the GPA is terrible. (It is from a Little Ivy, I know it doesn't matter though).

2 years of work experience, nothing crazy otherwise.

What are my best options? (Enjoy St. Louis?)

Any insight is appreciated.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby justhockey31 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:26 pm

Come join us splitters in the Midwest...WUSTL, IU-B, Illinois, Minnesota...GW is possible from the WL

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby TheZoid » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 pm

Haha yea, that's probably gonna be my best options. Thanks for the reply. What's in like in Missouri lol I'm from Connecticut?

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby justhockey31 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:35 pm

TheZoid wrote:Haha yea, that's probably gonna be my best options. Thanks for the reply. What's in like in Missouri lol I'm from Connecticut?


Hell if I know I'm from NY and I'm going to UMN in the fall haha. I'm going to guess Missouri is....niice?

Dr. Will Sandstrom
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby Dr. Will Sandstrom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:37 pm

UGA and Wake Forest are also good options for applicants with your numbers.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby TheZoid » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks guys. I'm sure St. Louis is nice. I guess I'll have to visit. Thanks Dr. Will how well do schools like UGA and Wake translate into BigLaw? If at all?

Dr. Will Sandstrom
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby Dr. Will Sandstrom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:56 pm

Wake Forest placed 20% and Georgia placed 16% of their graduates into NLJ250 firms, according to the most recent data (available here: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1)

WUSTL and Illinois are both right around 27%. If access to Big Law is the most important criterion for you, then one of those two schools is probably your best bet. Or GW, if you get in.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:00 am

Thanks Dr. Will. Will do. Yea I think I definitely would like to have that option.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby justhockey31 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:02 am

The positive thing about going to a midwest school is that they are very eager to throw $$ at applicants

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby TheZoid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:14 am

justhockey31 wrote:The positive thing about going to a midwest school is that they are very eager to throw $$ at applicants


haha yea i have heard that. The people on here seem to think 168 is good for 20K at Wash U, which is pretty appealing given that its a Top 20 school.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby justhockey31 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:25 am

i would check out lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the WUStL applicants scholarships but that sounds about right...I know this year IU-B made it rain on just about everyone who had a 167+ with a full scholarship

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby TheZoid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 am

Is this it? Midwestern splitter schools it is I guess. Fordham would not dip this low on GPA I guess huh?

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby xChiTowNx » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 pm

I live in St. Louis currently doing a volunteer placement / gap year before becoming an applicant this cycle.

The city itself is smaller compared to bigger metropolis' like Chicago or NY. However, there is a cheap bus called Megabus that can take you to Chicago if you need a get away.

There is a huge park called Forest Park that has a free zoo, free outdoor musicals, different events, etc. if that is your thing.

IMO, the Wash U campus is beautiful, and the area around it (The Loop / University City) is full of trendy bars and dive bars equally.

The weather is typical of midwest weather - stormy in spring, a few tornado warnings, hot and humid in the summer, snow in the winter.

I'm from Vancouver and didnt know a ton about STL until this year, and the city has been a pretty good place to live in. Didn't mind not having access to oceans and mountains.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Dr. Will Sandstrom wrote:Wake Forest placed 20% and Georgia placed 16% of their graduates into NLJ250 firms, according to the most recent data (available here: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1)

WUSTL and Illinois are both right around 27%. If access to Big Law is the most important criterion for you, then one of those two schools is probably your best bet. Or GW, if you get in.


This is not the most recent data.

jack492505
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby jack492505 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:24 pm

justhockey31 wrote:i would check out lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the WUStL applicants scholarships but that sounds about right...I know this year IU-B made it rain on just about everyone who had a 167+ with a full scholarship


FWIW I got straight rejected from IU B with 174/2.8. I did apply at the very last second though.

Got WUSTL 20k/yr. Not sure if your 20k estimate was total or Per year. Maybe if you apply early in the cycle, but may be a little optimistic

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby TheZoid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:48 pm

jack492505 wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:i would check out lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the WUStL applicants scholarships but that sounds about right...I know this year IU-B made it rain on just about everyone who had a 167+ with a full scholarship


FWIW I got straight rejected from IU B with 174/2.8. I did apply at the very last second though.

Got WUSTL 20k/yr. Not sure if your 20k estimate was total or Per year. Maybe if you apply early in the cycle, but may be a little optimistic


That's interesting jack. I think it was probably because you applied so late. Nice score though, did you end up at WUSTL? I'll be sure to get my IUB App in early I guess.

jack492505
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby jack492505 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Going to vandy with 18k/yr. Just got of waitlist. Very excited. Didn't mean for my post to sound discouraging btw, sorry if it did. But can't Emphasize enough the importance of getting apps in early for some of those schools.

Good luck with everything. Try to stay positive something will work out for you!

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: 168 LSAT, 2.65 GPA

Postby TheZoid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:23 pm

That's awesome jack congrats. am I going to get dinged at IU-B for my low GPA? I had read that 167+ was pretty much a guaranteed full scholly? Is that reliable? Are there are lot of stipulations with that?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest