.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
evott
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 pm

.

Postby evott » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 pm

.
Last edited by evott on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18420
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 169 / 3.86

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:09 am

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

If you don't improve your LSAT, you should do NYU ED as they take lower numbers than CLS. Though I imagine you will probably be waitlisted at both with a small chance of getting in at NYU.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13605
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: 169 / 3.86

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 am

evott wrote:I've lurked for a while, ready for some advice.

Graduated in May with a 3.86 and got my 169 today. I'm assuming I'll get the retake recommendations, but let's assume that's impossible. I have an SO in NYC and was hoping for Columbia and NYU. I'm now resigned to Gtown, Vandy, UCLA and ohgodtexas. My main question is whether ED at CCN is feasible, and then general advice after that. My softs are pretty lame and I'm generally looking at biglaw, with the ultimate goal of either working in Major League Soccer or in music.

I'm sitting out for a year, getting some work and life experience. I've thought about tutoring LSAT or clerking at a Law firm in the meantime. Any tips on work experience?

Thanks for the help

I'd say in at Vandy with some decent money. In at UCLA and probably UT, though OOS is tricky. GULC is a decent chance, a wait list at worst.

Also, if you want music to be feasible, Vandy or UCLA are the way to go. I visited Vandy and walked down music row past all the major record labels.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: 169 / 3.86

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:14 am

You might get some money at Cornell and you'd only be 4 hours away from your SO. Also, Penn would be a safer ED than the 2 NY schools and it's just 2 hours away.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: 169 / 3.86

Postby Verity » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:15 am

bk1 wrote:http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

If you don't improve your LSAT, you should do NYU ED as they take lower numbers than CLS. Though I imagine you will probably be waitlisted at both with a small chance of getting in at NYU.


+1. This is the best plan. Second-best plan is to ED to Penn.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18420
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 169 / 3.86

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:18 am

Verity wrote:
bk1 wrote:http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

If you don't improve your LSAT, you should do NYU ED as they take lower numbers than CLS. Though I imagine you will probably be waitlisted at both with a small chance of getting in at NYU.


+1. This is the best plan. Second-best plan is to ED to Penn.


Just wanted to add that I meant this if OP was definitely going to apply to an NYC school via ED. UPenn is probably a 50/50 shot with current numbers so the safest thing to would be to ED UPenn though that is assuming OP is okay with that distance.

evott
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: 169 / 3.86

Postby evott » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 am

so is penn the 'ideal' prestige+so option. i mean, i don't care to rate those kinda things together but if i had to....

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: 169 / 3.86

Postby Verity » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:27 am

bk1 wrote:
Verity wrote:
bk1 wrote:http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

If you don't improve your LSAT, you should do NYU ED as they take lower numbers than CLS. Though I imagine you will probably be waitlisted at both with a small chance of getting in at NYU.


+1. This is the best plan. Second-best plan is to ED to Penn.


Just wanted to add that I meant this if OP was definitely going to apply to an NYC school via ED. UPenn is probably a 50/50 shot with current numbers so the safest thing to would be to ED UPenn though that is assuming OP is okay with that distance.


Right. And OP should give serious thought to Penn, because the ED would be well worth it.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18420
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 169 / 3.86

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:30 am

evott wrote:so is penn the 'ideal' prestige+so option. i mean, i don't care to rate those kinda things together but if i had to....


Probably. Most of the lower T14 are functionally equivalent for NYC (though Penn/Cornell have a slight edge). Penn is the closest to NYC (other than CLS/NYU). So Penn is the best there. CLS/NYU have a definite prestige and SO advantage, but with a 169 your shots at them aren't too great (though possible, one NYU EDer got waitlisted then accepted this cycle but it was late in the cycle and he could have just as easily not gotten in off the waitlist). Ideally your LSAT goes up into CLS/NYU range though otherwise I would aim for Penn and Cornell.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests