3.06/157, strong softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
baitkenh
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

3.06/157, strong softs

Postby baitkenh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:23 pm

I know these numbers suck, especially for the ultra-competitive members of this board. I know I should retake, and I've already registered. I just want to know exactly where I stand at the moment. I'm a non-traditional applicant, and I've got some great accomplishments under my belt (leadership positions, public service occupation, data-verified success, etc), and I'm a respected professional in my field. I can get quality letters as well. I'm hoping this is enough to distance myself from my horrible LSAC GPA.

What are my chances at the following schools: LMU, San Diego, UNLV, Hawaii. Full/part time?

My hopes have been savagely crushed once today. If you crush them again, please don't be savage about it (I.E. please no sarcastic, "maybe you have a chance at Cooley" type b.s.). I just need honest opinions. Thanks TLS posters.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 3.06/157, strong softs

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Unfortunately, the extra stuff is just fluff. It won't have much of an impact. Have you checked LSN to see how those numbers compare to the schools you are looking at?

LSATPREPPER
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Re: 3.06/157, strong softs

Postby LSATPREPPER » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Rejected - San Diego
Really Really Small Shot - Nevada
Small Shot - Hawaii
----------------
You will have a few shots in unranked programs but if you are already successful in your current career path, why law school with these numbers?
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm is fairly accurate.

baitkenh
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: 3.06/157, strong softs

Postby baitkenh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:16 am

LSATPREPPER wrote:Rejected - San Diego
Really Really Small Shot - Nevada
Small Shot - Hawaii
----------------
You will have a few shots in unranked programs but if you are already successful in your current career path, why law school with these numbers?
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm is fairly accurate.


Thank you those of you who responded. Well, like most people who frequent this site, I had dreams of attending a great law school. I was doing around 166 on my practice tests, so I had a reason to believe I could attend a great law school and become a public defender. I still do, and I'm not giving up on that dream just yet.

I ask about these schools because I think they're acceptable if push comes to shove, and I can always bust my butt and transfer after L1 (which, I know, is much easier said than done). I actually used LSP and I noticed that with a higher GPA, I would have a shot at those schools with my LSAT. I'm trying to figure out to what extent my resume could offset my GPA. I don't actually think it's "fluff," but I don't think it's a guarantee of anything either. I checked out LSN and I noticed there are some non-URMs who made it in to those schools with my numbers, probably on the strength of some softs.

This whole experience has really reinforced how much life is NOT a game of numbers, unlike law school admissions. I seriously hate the LSAT, and I hope you prospective students realize that you're more than your score, or your degree. I sincerely hope you all find a way to make the world better with your YHS degrees, because if you don't, they don't mean shit.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: 3.06/157, strong softs

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:24 am

I had exactly your numbers 3.05/157. I went to Southwestern for 1L and transferred to LLS with top 20% grades. Frankly, I was lucky to get into Southwestern. I too had delusions of getting into a better school at the time. I had taken the February LSAT and applied late in the cycle. If you are on the older side, and don't care about making the big bucks, you can try to get into Southwestern - but plan to stay there if you go. Unfortunately, there is no way you are getting into Loyola or USD with that GPA unless you get a 163-164 LSAT. And unless you are from Hawaii I doubt you are getting in there either.

baitkenh
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: 3.06/157, strong softs

Postby baitkenh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 am

Danteshek wrote:I had exactly your numbers 3.05/157. I went to Southwestern for 1L and transferred to LLS with top 20% grades. Frankly, I was lucky to get into Southwestern. I too had delusions of getting into a better school at the time. I had taken the February LSAT and applied late in the cycle. If you are on the older side, and don't care about making the big bucks, you can try to get into Southwestern - but plan to stay there if you go. Unfortunately, there is no way you are getting into Loyola or USD with that GPA unless you get a 163-164 LSAT. And unless you are from Hawaii I doubt you are getting in there either.


I appreciate the candidness, and your input is highly valued since you've literally been in about the same situation. I guess I will stay at my secure job and retake until I can realize my dream.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: 3.06/157, strong softs

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:47 am

baitkenh wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I had exactly your numbers 3.05/157. I went to Southwestern for 1L and transferred to LLS with top 20% grades. Frankly, I was lucky to get into Southwestern. I too had delusions of getting into a better school at the time. I had taken the February LSAT and applied late in the cycle. If you are on the older side, and don't care about making the big bucks, you can try to get into Southwestern - but plan to stay there if you go. Unfortunately, there is no way you are getting into Loyola or USD with that GPA unless you get a 163-164 LSAT. And unless you are from Hawaii I doubt you are getting in there either.


I appreciate the candidness, and your input is highly valued since you've literally been in about the same situation. I guess I will stay at my secure job and retake until I can realize my dream.


No worries. I think you should take it again once. If you can get a 163+ you will be in a good position for some good schools. If you miss the mark, but still want to go to law school, I suggest you go part time to Southwestern (LLS if you can get in) and keep your job.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest