3.5/163 - Athlete/Legacy

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rich_4

3.5/163 - Athlete/Legacy

Postby rich_4 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:14 pm

edit - deleted.

Retaking in October.
Last edited by rich_4 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bildungsroman

Re: 3.5/163 - Athlete/Legacy

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 pm

I would definitely retake. You're under the 25th percentile LSAT and under the 25th percentile GPA for UVA; they're unlikely to care at all that your university claims to deflate GPAs, and legacy status doesn't seem to play a big role in law school admissions (especially if your sister isn't making naming-rights donations to new buildings and programs). I'd give you basically no shot, sorry :(

rich_4

Postby rich_4 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Just got a lecture on the phone from my sister about how I should definitely retake in October because missing 1 football game didn't mean anything. She's probably right, it's just hard to accept that. As far as grade deflation, I'm not just making that claim offhand without any evidence. There have been several discussions and arguments among the board of trustees and student body about the GPA problems and the letter idea was the solution. It's stupid, but that's the way it is.

Looks like I will retake in October.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:41 pm

rich_4 wrote:Just got a lecture on the phone from my sister about how I should definitely retake in October because missing 1 football game didn't mean anything. She's probably right, it's just hard to accept that. As far as grade deflation, I'm not just making that claim offhand without any evidence. There have been several discussions and arguments among the board of trustees and student body about the GPA problems and the letter idea was the solution. It's stupid, but that's the way it is.

Looks like I will retake in October.

Oh, I'm sure your undergrad has a lot of conversation going on about grade deflation. It's just that any given law school may deal with applications from students that attended hundreds of different undergrads, so it's very hard for the law schools to pay too much attention to undergrad grading difficulties, esp. since every liberal arts college and a whole bunch of other colleges claim to have grade deflation and law schools rarely have enough info about the undergrad's grade distribution to come to a conclusion about the student. That's why GPAs from all different institutions tend to get treated the same. It sucks, I know.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:42 pm

sorry but the accompanying letter will not mean squat.. with where you were PT'ing a retake is definitely TCR... 170 ED UVA ... 173+ and I would ED to CCN for kicks

and having one family member who went there will not help unfortunately.. just kill the LSAT

rich_4

Postby rich_4 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Bildungsroman - I agree. I'm sure way too many undergrads and their students have explanations for their GPA for law schools to determine whose cries are legitimate.

BlueDiamond - Looks like we're back to square one... live and die by the LSAT.

In your experience, does being an athlete factor into anything? I'm not suggesting it will get me in a school, but there has to be certain competitive advantages to playing a D1 varsity sport if for nothing else but adding diversity to the incoming class profile brochure (only half kidding).

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 am

Hey, 4-year athlete and victim of grade deflation here as well :). My very elite school also sends letters explaining grade deflation, but it doesn't seem to matter much when law school is concerned :/

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:37 am

Oh, and as for NCAA athletics... I asked that question last year and the general consensus was that it wouldn't help much. I think that's unfair given the time commitment, but it is what it is.

Return to “What are my chances?”