3.88 - 163. Chances at Boulder? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Tabemaju

New

3.88 - 163. Chances at Boulder?

Post by Tabemaju » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:51 pm

7 points below my average and nerves played a big role. I told myself that if I get 170+ I would commit to a t10, but that if I didn't, and I scored well enough to get into Colorado, then I would go to Colorado. My wife and I want to live in CO long-term, so that would be our end-goal either way. We have a 3-year-old daughter that will be starting Kindergarten while I am in law school, so the stress of not having to move her from school to school is appealing.

Anyway, I know that retake is going to be automatic because of my GPA, which will likely break the 3.9 mark this fall. I really want to avoid retaking, and would be willing to ED to Boulder if it improves my chances. Predictor says I'm at a 70%, which is pretty solid, but I want to be sure.

I have some work experience in the legal field, but not necessarily in law per se -- I worked for a bail bond office. I also will have about 6 months intern experience working with the Public Defender's Office. I am a non-traditional student: 27 years old with a wife and child. We both have family in Colorado and fell in love with the state, so I'm thinking I could write a pretty decent "Why Colorado" essay.

Anyway, if there's anything else that helps, let me know.

Thanks!

Tabemaju

New

Re: 3.88 - 163. Chances at Boulder?

Post by Tabemaju » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks, that helps. My adviser is trying to talk me into retaking to at least get more money from CU, and my wife is trying to talk me into not retaking so I'm not stressed over my last term. Not sure what to do :(.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Tabemaju wrote:Thanks, that helps. My adviser is trying to talk me into retaking to at least get more money from CU, and my wife is trying to talk me into not retaking so I'm not stressed over my last term. Not sure what to do :(.
There's not a lot of good reasons for not at least trying to retake. Stress? Too tired? not great reasons for a future lawyer. However, I have better numbers than you and I really wanted CU Boulder and I got in. But they hardly give any money. At least not right now with some of their funding issues. You probably could get some. Like 24k over three years, but they are not giving out a ton. That being said, even a small scholarship is definitely worth working hard for a few months. 24k for a few months = worth it.
Last edited by Law Sauce on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Slightly worse #'s than you - I received $12k/$4k/$4k from them this cycle so $20k total.

I would say you would probably get something similar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:33 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Slightly worse #'s than you - I received $12k/$4k/$4k from them this cycle so $20k total.

Yea, so maybe increasing your score may not result in much difference in money from them. This seems likely, but still, who knows?

Tabemaju

New

Post by Tabemaju » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:47 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Slightly worse #'s than you - I received $12k/$4k/$4k from them this cycle so $20k total.

That's good to know, thanks... but it's only going to make my decision harder about retaking, hah. This may sound silly, but I'm kind of glad I didn't score a lot higher, because I think, secretly, my wife and I were hoping for Boulder (we have family there and we love the area). Now I've convinced myself that Boulder is the route to go regardless of retake score, so now I have to decide if I want to retake just for Boulder. If the difference is between 20k scholarship and 24k... that's going to make it a rough choice.

I'm going to start studying the Bibles some more, take a few practice tests, and try and decide by August. My fall schedule is hectic, but I'm sure I can afford a couple hours a night.

Thanks again for your replies.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 pm

If you got up to 166, it'd likely land you the 24/8/8 scholarship instead, so 16k extra for 3 points.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 pm

Tabemaju wrote:

That's good to know, thanks... but it's only going to make my decision harder about retaking, hah. This may sound silly, but I'm kind of glad I didn't score a lot higher, because I think, secretly, my wife and I were hoping for Boulder (we have family there and we love the area). Now I've convinced myself that Boulder is the route to go regardless of retake score, so now I have to decide if I want to retake just for Boulder. If the difference is between 20k scholarship and 24k... that's going to make it a rough choice.

I'm going to start studying the Bibles some more, take a few practice tests, and try and decide by August. My fall schedule is hectic, but I'm sure I can afford a couple hours a night.

Thanks again for your replies.
Note if you can hit 165+though you may be able to get $40k - $90k from Boulder.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/LTJ1000
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/newenglander
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/UtahPhi

You will probably be looking at $24k right now (I'm guessing based off LSN) without the retake. But just 2 more points can get you a lot higher and a few more points (7+ can get you into the T-14).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:50 pm

I got in with 3.89/162

Tabemaju

New

Post by Tabemaju » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks guys. You've helped convince me to retake as long as I can keep my practice scores consistent. That was a part of my problem with this test. My scores ranged from 162 to 176 leading up to the test, with an average of around 172. I figure if I can avoid the under 165s it'll be worth retaking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”