3.0/170 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
citykitty

Bronze

3.0/170

Post by citykitty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Non-traditional. Limited WE, mostly volunteer work, nothing serious. 4.0 from degree granting institution. Was an idiot when starting college at 16; didn't realize the GPA mistakes would come back to haunt me. I'm assuming t14 is out. I really want to practice in TX. My family is all there, but no longer a TX resident. Where do I go? Apply? Safeties? Somewhat debt adverse, but I do have some savings.

bk1

Diamond

Re: 3.0/170

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:39 pm

T14 isn't out (UT probably is), but if you're debt averse then you have no reason to go to the T14 since you will be sticker if you get in.

I think your best options are T14s that take splitters and SMU/Houston, possibly Vandy or WUSTL but I have no idea how much pull they have in TX.

sunrat

New

Post by sunrat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:43 pm

This is my LSAT. And GPA. And pretty much WE.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 pm

I replied in the June 2011 thread, but it may be lost in there.

I think UVA is an option with a good PS and Why UVA and an ED on day one.

NU is possible if you can spin that life experience so it comes across as substantive.

A retake might be worthwhile if you feel up to it and really want T14. I know that sucks, and 170 is a very respectable score, but you're just below the 75th percentile at UVA and NU. Hitting the 75th percentile on either LSAT or GPA seems to be a big help for splitters.

NYCbound35

Bronze

Post by NYCbound35 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Apply early and your best options (IMO) will probably be either WUSTL or SMU with roughly half tuition scholly each...Not sure which is better for Texas though...

Also, apply to UT, very unlikely, but it could happen and the payoff above those two other options makes it worth it.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/brokenwindows/jd

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:51 pm

NYCbound35 wrote:Apply early and your best options (IMO) will probably be either WUSTL or SMU with roughly half tuition scholly each...Not sure which is better for Texas though...

Also, apply to UT, very unlikely, but it could happen and the payoff above those two other options makes it worth it.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/brokenwindows/jd

I'm from Austin. I'm going to ask for a tour at UT in August when I'm in town, and do my best to look like they should take me, but I know I'll hurt their numbers, which just sucks. It would be my first choice if I thought I stood any chance there.

I would actually be pretty pleased with a half scholly from SMU though. That would keep my debt down to manageable levels with what I have in savings.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:01 pm

citykitty wrote: I'm from Austin. I'm going to ask for a tour at UT in August when I'm in town, and do my best to look like they should take me, but I know I'll hurt their numbers, which just sucks. It would be my first choice if I thought I stood any chance there.

I would actually be pretty pleased with a half scholly from SMU though. That would keep my debt down to manageable levels with what I have in savings.
If I understand the stats, you don't hurt their percentiles at all. Once your GPA is below the 25th percentile, it doesn't drag down the percentile further just by being lower. Mostly you're trying to overcome a psychological hurdle.

I think your GPA trend will be very helpful too, given it's not just an upward trend it's a completely different situation and easily explainable in your addendum. Presumably your current GPA will earn you some stellar LORs too?

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:24 pm

albanach wrote:
citykitty wrote: I'm from Austin. I'm going to ask for a tour at UT in August when I'm in town, and do my best to look like they should take me, but I know I'll hurt their numbers, which just sucks. It would be my first choice if I thought I stood any chance there.

If I understand the stats, you don't hurt their percentiles at all. Once your GPA is below the 25th percentile, it doesn't drag down the percentile further just by being lower. Mostly you're trying to overcome a psychological hurdle.

I think your GPA trend will be very helpful too, given it's not just an upward trend it's a completely different situation and easily explainable in your addendum. Presumably your current GPA will earn you some stellar LORs too?

Yeah, I already have my LORs locked in. I obviously don't know what they say, but the profs have been extremely helpful and rather bending over backwards to get me where I want to be. But, law school admission is such a numbers game. If I manage to pull off UT it will be such a coup, and I will be thrilled.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 pm

albanach wrote:

A 3.0/170, like any splitter, won't hurt UT's numbers. However UT tends to be at least a slight GPA whore and that's why they would reject someone with a GPA that low.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:07 pm

bk187 wrote: A 3.0/170, like any splitter, won't hurt UT's numbers. However UT tends to be at least a slight GPA whore and that's why they would reject someone with a GPA that low.
If you are local, you might want to try and meet with UT admissions in person. Presumably they do open days? Grab the admissions officer afterwards and have five minutes explaining that more recent 4.0GPA. Send a thank you email afterwards and then email them again when you submit your application.

Try and make sure they are identifying a person with the app so it's scored on more than raw numbers.

Similarly, if you're applying elsewhere make sure you do interviews with the places that offer them - i.e. NU and Vandy.

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:31 am

So what would a decent list of school's to apply to look like?

UT, UVA, and Vandy for reaches
Baylor, SMU, Houston, WUSTL, UIowa, IUB, and Tulane

This should give me decent options, right? Thoughts?

NYCbound35

Bronze

Post by NYCbound35 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:49 am

citykitty wrote:So what would a decent list of school's to apply to look like?

UT, UVA, and Vandy for reaches
Baylor, SMU, Houston, WUSTL, UIowa, IUB, and Tulane

This should give me decent options, right? Thoughts?
I know people like to apply to a bunch of schools for more options (and I certainly fell victim to this before I found TLS), but if I were you, I'd apply to just UT and Vandy for reaches...you're going to have a very small shot at UVA with an ED, but idk if you want to do that if there's any shot at UT for Texas...maybe if you're not satisfied with this cycle and reapply after not getting UT this year

For targets, no reason to apply to Baylor...SMU and Houston will give you better scholarships and offer a better debt/job prospects ration

Also no reason to apply to Iowa, IUB and Tulane...you want Texas and these schools will not get you there. I would only keep WUSTL on there because it has slightly more national appeal than the others and may be able to get you back to Texas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”