166, 3.49, URM -- Texas?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
p. rex

166, 3.49, URM -- Texas?

Postby p. rex » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey guys,

I'm just curious about what my chances of getting into Texas Law are. As stated in the title, I scored a 166 on the June LSAT, I have a 3.49 GPA in history at UT Austin (with a business minor), and I am Hispanic. I think my soft factors are fairly good: my grades display a strong upward trend (3.8 GPA the last three semesters, while taking my most demanding upper-division coursework), I was born and raised in Texas, I have an on-campus job in the Department of Classics, and I expect to receive excellent letters of recommendation. Lastly, and I don't know if this is a factor at all, I am a legacy: my father and two of my uncles went to UT Law, as did my great-great-grandfather, who attended UT Law in the 1890s and was one of the more notable Texas lawyers of the early 20th century.

Anyway, before this chest-puffing makes me retch, I'd just like to know three things: what are my chances of getting into Texas, what other schools should I consider, and should I retake the LSAT?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

*edit* Noted that I am a student at UT Austin (how could I have forgotten that?).

kalvano

Re: 166, 3.49, URM -- Texas?

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Normally I would say damn good, but UT seems to have a pretty hard 3.5 cap. You're so close, though, so couple that with being a resident and I would say in.

p. rex

Postby p. rex » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Bump? I would like some further input.

Thanks for chiming in, kalvano.

idratherbetraveling

Postby idratherbetraveling » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm just curious about what my chances of getting into Texas Law are. As stated in the title, I scored a 166 on the June LSAT, I have a 3.49 GPA in history at UT Austin (with a business minor), and I am Hispanic. I think my soft factors are fairly good: my grades display a strong upward trend (3.8 GPA the last three semesters, while taking my most demanding upper-division coursework), I was born and raised in Texas, I have an on-campus job in the Department of Classics, and I expect to receive excellent letters of recommendation. Lastly, and I don't know if this is a factor at all, I am a legacy: my father and two of my uncles went to UT Law, as did my great-great-grandfather, who attended UT Law in the 1890s and was one of the more notable Texas lawyers of the early 20th century.

Anyway, before this chest-puffing makes me retch, I'd just like to know three things: what are my chances of getting into Texas, what other schools should I consider, and should I retake the LSAT?

166, URM, resident, legacy...You are in at Texas, apply early.

That said, I don't think your soft factors are as good as you think they are...I don't mean to be harsh, just realistic - upward GPA isn't really a soft and many people's GPAs go up as they go through school, even when they have on-campus jobs, etc.

Other schools to consider: start with law school predictor and law school numbers. I'm unfamiliar with how URM cycles go, but if you apply early, I'd say you have an outside shot at the bottom half of the T-14 and a great shot at most places 15-30, possibly with $. If you think you can retake and get even 2 or 3 more points higher, you'll open up MUCH more of the T-14. Also, do you have any interesting internships/work experience? These things can make a difference at 15-30 and below.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:13 am

I am assuming you are Puerto Rican or Mexican (because if you are not then you aren't a URM).

kalvano wrote:Normally I would say damn good, but UT seems to have a pretty hard 3.5 cap. You're so close, though, so couple that with being a resident and I would say in.

I agree with this. Take a look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

Should you retake the LSAT? If you think you could score better than a 166 yes. If you think you maxed out at 166 then probably not, but if you retake you have nothing to lose since all schools take your highest score.

Other schools? Look at LSN but I think you have a good chance at the T14.

smithc2011

Postby smithc2011 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:59 pm

I think you'll be fine. I had a 3.3 gpa, non URM, got in off the WL. Just take time to craft a high quality application, apply early, show lots of interest, and highlight your upward trends. If you think you can improve your lsat, by all means retake, but i think you have a pretty decent shot as is.

Return to “What are my chances?”