165 LSAT, 3.9 GPA - University of Texas

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
OrangePower

165 LSAT, 3.9 GPA - University of Texas

Postby OrangePower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:12 pm

First Time Poster, Long Timer Reader:

Just received my first LSAT score: 165
3.966 GPA in Economics, hasn't cleared LSDAS yet but should be about right there.

Softs: Solid Resume, 3 Excellent LoRs, but definitely not under represented (white and male)

I want to know what my chances are to get into UT-Austin and what other schools anyone would suggest I apply to, preferably within the Midwest. I also plan on applying to U of Houston (due to the strength of their IP program).

Thanks for the assistance!

law4vus

Re: 165 LSAT, 3.9 GPA - University of Texas

Postby law4vus » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:15 pm

OrangePower wrote:First Time Poster, Long Timer Reader:

3.966 GPA in Economics, hasn't cleared LSDAS yet but should be about right there.

Softs: Solid Resume, 3 Excellent LoRs, but definitely not under represented (white and male)

I want to know what my chances are to get into UT-Austin and what other schools anyone would suggest I apply to, preferably within the Midwest. I also plan on applying to U of Houston (due to the strength of their IP program).

Everyone will tell you to retake because of the pristine GPA and shoot for the HYS moon. I agree that if you can break into the low 170s, you're golden for most any law school you want.

As it stands, you're probably in at UT but you might be able to do even better.

*edit* As an aside, don't apply to UH based on the strength of their IP program. Specialty rankings are largely meaningless when it comes to job placement, so go for the best school you can get into in your desired region, keeping potential debt in mind.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:22 pm

If you want UT, definitely retake. It won't hurt you and could mean the difference between sticker, which you can expect now if you get in, and loads of scholarship.

OrangePower

Postby OrangePower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! Most people I know don't understand it, but UT is my dream school. It is extremely important to me to stay fairly close to home (From Oklahoma). I will consider the retake.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 pm

law4vus wrote:
OrangePower wrote:First Time Poster, Long Timer Reader:

Everyone will tell you to retake because of the pristine GPA and shoot for the HYS moon. I agree that if you can break into the low 170s, you're golden for most any law school you want.

As it stands, you're probably in at UT but you might be able to do even better.

*edit* As an aside, don't apply to UH based on the strength of their IP program. Specialty rankings are largely meaningless when it comes to job placement, so go for the best school you can get into in your desired region, keeping potential debt in mind.

Retake if you can. If not, you should look into UVA or Michigan as possible ED choices.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 pm

I'd say your chances of admission are very good at UT (85% maybe?), especially if you are in-state, and especially if you apply early. Forget about Houston. If you are dead set on Texas, SMU is the worst you should do.

I would re-take the lsat though. I'm not sure what you were PTing at, but with that GPA and a 170 you would get several nice t-14 offers. I say this as someone going to UT and very happy about it. If nothing else, you could stand to improve your lsat, because the scholarship floors at Texas this year were 168/3.6.

OrangePower

Postby OrangePower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Cade McNown wrote:I'd say your chances of admission are very good at UT (85% maybe?), especially if you are in-state, and especially if you apply early. Forget about Houston. If you are dead set on Texas, SMU is the worst you should do.

I would re-take the lsat though. I'm not sure what you were PTing at, but with that GPA and a 170 you would get several nice t-14 offers. I say this as someone going to UT and very happy about it. If nothing else, you could stand to improve your lsat, because the scholarship floors at Texas this year were 168/3.6.

That is all good to hear. Sounds like I ought to be signing up and retaking in October. The 165 was dead center of my PTs but, the highest I ever hit was 169. However, if it isn't going to hurt me, why not? Right?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Are you a Texas Resident?

I was a 165, 4.0 OOS and got wait listed.

OrangePower

Postby OrangePower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Flips88 wrote:Are you a Texas Resident?

No I'm from just to the north, Oklahoma. I know that doesn't help my chances. I don't want to sound uninformed here but what does OOS stand for?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:53 pm

OrangePower wrote:

No I'm from just to the north, Oklahoma. I know that doesn't help my chances. I don't want to sound uninformed here but what does OOS stand for?

Out of State. I was afraid your name was an OSU reference.

Boomer Sooner.

OrangePower

Postby OrangePower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Flips88 wrote:
OrangePower wrote:

Out of State. I was afraid your name was an OSU reference.

Boomer Sooner.

HaHa....Yep, that it is. Go Pokes.

I'm going to retake in Oct. and see how I can do.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:03 pm

OrangePower wrote:HaHa....Yep, that it is. Go Pokes.

I'm going to retake in Oct. and see how I can do.

Well our numbers are pretty similar so you check my LSN profile that's on my TLS profile and it can give you somewhat of a gauge for your cycle. I think a 3.96 should be at or above most schools 75th and shouldn't be that different from a 4.0. Retaking is a good option. Get all the stuff for your apps done now and submit as many as you can before October so your file is ready to go the second your new score comes out.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:04 pm

OrangePower wrote:That is all good to hear. Sounds like I ought to be signing up and retaking in October. The 165 was dead center of my PTs but, the highest I ever hit was 169. However, if it isn't going to hurt me, why not? Right?

The risk of re-taking is getting a worse score, so you should only re-take if you'll take it seriously. Texas considers all lsat scores, which means they'll look at both your average and your high score. In the meantime, I would spend some time identifying your weaknesses on the test and address those between now and October. You might try a different study method this time around (like self-study if you took a class previously, or vice-versa). Also take lots of PTs and focus on understanding the questions you miss.

Return to “What are my chances?”