Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Last edited by Yeshia90 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: 3.53 / 174

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:13 pm

For your chances: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

1. No they would not be significantly worse, though if you have a preference for NYC you should factor it in since, for example, Penn does have an edge there. IMO, scholarship offers should be a more deciding factor between T14 schools if NYC is all you want.

2. It definitely helps but it is hard to quantify. Look at ED applicants on LSN to get a feel for it.

Yeshia90

Re: 3.53 / 174 - NYU Dreamin'

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Here's the question I forgot to ask:

I know there's a premium on getting applications in early, and it's what I planned to do. BUT, if I wait until after fall semester, I should have over a 3.6...would schools update that if they hadn't made a decision yet, rendering that plan useless?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:15 pm

I had similar stats (worse GPA by .1 though), and got WLed by NYU off of ED. Take that as you will.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Hannibal wrote:I had similar stats (worse GPA by .1 though), and got WLed by NYU off of ED. Take that as you will.

Can I ask what kind of school you did UG at?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 pm

PSUdevon wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I had similar stats (worse GPA by .1 though), and got WLed by NYU off of ED. Take that as you will.

One of the lesser UCs, so I'd say roughly equal to Penn State?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Hannibal wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:

That's remarkably encouraging.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm

And I know people who got in with numbers really similar to mine and better softs.

FWIW I think this next cycle will be much easier.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:20 pm

PSUdevon wrote:Here's the question I forgot to ask:

I know there's a premium on getting applications in early, and it's what I planned to do. BUT, if I wait until after fall semester, I should have over a 3.6...would schools update that if they hadn't made a decision yet, rendering that plan useless?

You can send them your updated grades in the middle of the cycle.

splitterstatus

Postby splitterstatus » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Feels good to be off the Waiting thread and onto the Chances thread doesn't it?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:22 pm

bk1 wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:Here's the question I forgot to ask:

You can send them your updated grades in the middle of the cycle.

Ah. Thanks. Wasn't sure how that went.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:00 pm

PSUdevon wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:

Not trying to be a Debbie downer but from what I've gathered... the prestige of your UG is pretty much irrelevant, unless you're a HYP UG. The consensus seems to be any school ranked 15-50 is looked at pretty much in the same light.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:26 pm

PSUdevon wrote:I go to a good--not elite--public school, and my softs aren't particularly interesting. I do have a major upwards trend in GPA (3.95 junior year GPA), but I doubt that'll help me much. I'm a boring white guy still in undergrad--I have a couple nice internships on my resume, but nothing too attention-grabbing.

I figure I want to stay in the northeast--I'm from New York, and want to go back to New York after law school. Schools I'll be applying to for sure, in order of how much I want to go to there (yes, 30 Rock reference intended):

NYU
Columbia
Georgetown
Penn
Cornell
Fordham (as a pure safety school)

Two questions:
1) Am I overemphasizing the geographical aspect? Would my chances of getting a job in NYC be significantly worse if I went to, say, UVA or Northwestern or Michigan as opposed to Penn or Cornell?

2) How much does applying ED help? I know I'll get all my applications in VERY early--like, the first week they're available--and I'm thinking ED to NYU? It's my #1--and short of Harvard, it had been something of a dream school. LawSchoolPredictor basically makes it a coin flip...any advice would be much appreciated.

I would ED to NYU. Next cycle should be little easier than this one and you could try to write an exceptional application. ED to Penn is another good option. Even without an ED you should have a good shot at nyu m v p gtown cornell etc. If you try your luck everywhere you may get good money somewhere, but if you really want NYU, you should have a decent shot.

Also Id apply early and then just send grades as a LOCI. No real help in waiting, it will probably hurt.

Also also, nyc is the easiest market to get from any t14. More grad go there from UVA, Duke, Michigan than any other market. So no, no real difference, you would be able to get back to nyc from any top school.

My guess is that you will get not a ton of great offers of cash but that you will be able to get in to a few good schools, like one of NYU or Penn or Michigan. See my post in this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158858 for why i am guessing that.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 pm

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:

Not trying to be a Debbie downer but from what I've gathered... the prestige of your UG is pretty much irrelevant, unless you're a HYP UG. The consensus seems to be any school ranked 15-50 is looked at pretty much in the same light.

Oh, no, I was being sarcastic, seeing as I go to Penn State.

Return to “What are my chances?”