.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

.

Postby freestallion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:08 pm

.
Last edited by freestallion on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby law4vus » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:14 pm

freestallion wrote:Just got my June 2011 Score and it's 173... I'm so relieved! And a 3.8 GPA.

Question: I have a 167 (unfortunate) from fall 2009. Will they average the two? Then it only comes out to 170. Or will most schools take the higher score since they are 6 points apart?

Also, chances for the top 14? Especially: NYU, Columbia, Georgetown, Northwestern, Berkeley?

Thank you!!!


You're in really good shape. I think the schools that may hold the 167 against you are HYS, and your GPA is about median for them anyway. As for the other schools, you're pretty much in at all of them I think.

Congrats on the great numbers!

Also: this is a helpful thread on figuring out which schools average. However, even if they average to a 170 you're still in good shape for most of the T14.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107648

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:16 pm

In everywhere CCN and down...very slight chance at H but not likely. Congrats!

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby freestallion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Wow, I had no idea I had a good shot at Columbia & NYU. Basically my dream schools. This is awesome. Thank you so much :)

Also, I have been reading it's a good idea to include an addendum if the scores are more than 4-5 points apart. However, I have no good reason except that I studied/practiced a lot more this time around.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby law4vus » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:24 pm

freestallion wrote:Wow, I had no idea I had a good shot at Columbia & NYU. Basically my dream schools. This is awesome. Thank you so much :)

Also, I have been reading it's a good idea to include an addendum if the scores are more than 4-5 points apart. However, I have no good reason except that I studied/practiced a lot more this time around.


I think conventional TLS wisdom says to write an addendum anyway, just to get them to look at your 173 harder than the 167 (although, like I said, the schools you want will most likely focus on the 173 anyway). Even if you just say you felt like you worked harder and it's more indicative of your academic potential, it's worth it.

Honestly, I'd even shoot an app to any HYS you like. There's not a terribly high chance you get in, but if you put together a really good application I don't think it's a bad idea.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Harvard is definitely worth a shot, maybe Stanford...Yale probably not. But hey, why not? I had a 7 point increase and no addendum, but it was in the 160s so maybe a different deal?

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby freestallion » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks everyone for the answers! I was concerned they would average but perhaps I have a chance.

Another thing that has *really* been worrying me... I have two blemishes on my record: (1) alcohol violation as an undergrad, just got a disciplinary citation from my school :( and (2) got in a car accident in high school, and got some tickets based on that....

I'll disclose both (not sure about the tickets though- not sure if they count as 'minor' traffic violations or major ones... will have to get advice on that) but do you think this damages my chance at the top 14? Stupid mistakes in life, but really hope it doesn't hurt me =/

I know it might be a stupid question, but thanks for any advice you can provide!

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby sonervous88 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:37 am

freestallion wrote:Thanks everyone for the answers! I was concerned they would average but perhaps I have a chance.

Another thing that has *really* been worrying me... I have two blemishes on my record: (1) alcohol violation as an undergrad, just got a disciplinary citation from my school :( and (2) got in a car accident in high school, and got some tickets based on that....

I'll disclose both (not sure about the tickets though- not sure if they count as 'minor' traffic violations or major ones... will have to get advice on that) but do you think this damages my chance at the top 14? Stupid mistakes in life, but really hope it doesn't hurt me =/

I know it might be a stupid question, but thanks for any advice you can provide!


I don't thionk either of you will hurt you. also HYS may average but i had a 167/172 this year and got in basically everywhere but Harvard/Yale (also held at Mich and UVA) feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby freestallion » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:44 am

sonervous88 wrote:
freestallion wrote:Thanks everyone for the answers! I was concerned they would average but perhaps I have a chance.

Another thing that has *really* been worrying me... I have two blemishes on my record: (1) alcohol violation as an undergrad, just got a disciplinary citation from my school :( and (2) got in a car accident in high school, and got some tickets based on that....

I'll disclose both (not sure about the tickets though- not sure if they count as 'minor' traffic violations or major ones... will have to get advice on that) but do you think this damages my chance at the top 14? Stupid mistakes in life, but really hope it doesn't hurt me =/

I know it might be a stupid question, but thanks for any advice you can provide!


I don't thionk either of you will hurt you. also HYS may average but i had a 167/172 this year and got in basically everywhere but Harvard/Yale (also held at Mich and UVA) feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.


Thanks a ton - really hope these mistakes don't hurt me. Congrats on your awesome cycle! I will definitely PM you if I have further questions.

Also your GPA is much higher than mine - mine comes out to 3.79 or 3.8 exactly with LSDAS, but your high GPA probably helped.

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby sonervous88 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:45 am

freestallion wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:
freestallion wrote:Thanks everyone for the answers! I was concerned they would average but perhaps I have a chance.

Another thing that has *really* been worrying me... I have two blemishes on my record: (1) alcohol violation as an undergrad, just got a disciplinary citation from my school :( and (2) got in a car accident in high school, and got some tickets based on that....

I'll disclose both (not sure about the tickets though- not sure if they count as 'minor' traffic violations or major ones... will have to get advice on that) but do you think this damages my chance at the top 14? Stupid mistakes in life, but really hope it doesn't hurt me =/

I know it might be a stupid question, but thanks for any advice you can provide!


I don't thionk either of you will hurt you. also HYS may average but i had a 167/172 this year and got in basically everywhere but Harvard/Yale (also held at Mich and UVA) feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.


Thanks a ton - really hope these mistakes don't hurt me. Congrats on your awesome cycle! I will definitely PM you if I have further questions.

Also your GPA is much higher than mine - mine comes out to 3.79 or 3.8 exactly with LSDAS, but your high GPA probably helped.


Right but i figure it is balanced by your 173. could be wrong. wouldn't worry too much. apply super early. and thanks!

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby freestallion » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:50 am

sonervous88 wrote:
freestallion wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:
freestallion wrote:Thanks everyone for the answers! I was concerned they would average but perhaps I have a chance.

Another thing that has *really* been worrying me... I have two blemishes on my record: (1) alcohol violation as an undergrad, just got a disciplinary citation from my school :( and (2) got in a car accident in high school, and got some tickets based on that....

I'll disclose both (not sure about the tickets though- not sure if they count as 'minor' traffic violations or major ones... will have to get advice on that) but do you think this damages my chance at the top 14? Stupid mistakes in life, but really hope it doesn't hurt me =/

I know it might be a stupid question, but thanks for any advice you can provide!


I don't thionk either of you will hurt you. also HYS may average but i had a 167/172 this year and got in basically everywhere but Harvard/Yale (also held at Mich and UVA) feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.


Thanks a ton - really hope these mistakes don't hurt me. Congrats on your awesome cycle! I will definitely PM you if I have further questions.

Also your GPA is much higher than mine - mine comes out to 3.79 or 3.8 exactly with LSDAS, but your high GPA probably helped.


Right but i figure it is balanced by your 173. could be wrong. wouldn't worry too much. apply super early. and thanks!


Thanks for the advice. How early did you apply - September or October?

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby bmore » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:58 am

I encourage you to apply everywhere you want to go, but I must warn you not to get overly optomistic based on TLS. There are plenty of people with similar scores (or higher scores) who do not get into some of these schools. Why? Who knows. Not the right softs, sex, major, yield protect. Nothing is certain. As So Nervous shows, WL at Mich and U Va. Still I think you will have an impressive cycle. Do each application as if that one is the most important. Good luck.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby freestallion » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:00 am

bmore wrote:I encourage you to apply everywhere you want to go, but I must warn you not to get overly optomistic based on TLS. There are plenty of people with similar scores (or higher scores) who do not get into some of these schools. Why? Who knows. Not the right softs, sex, major, yield protect. Nothing is certain. As So Nervous shows, WL at Mich and U Va. Still I think you will have an impressive cycle. Do each application as if that one is the most important. Good luck.


I definitely will work hard on my apps. I think I have decent softs, but not compared to Rhodes or Cambridge scholars of course :)

As long as I won't be dinged because of the disciplinary action/traffic tickets, I'm happy...

bellamy
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: 3.8 / 167 two years ago + 173 now - chances?

Postby bellamy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:20 pm

freestallion wrote:Wow, I had no idea I had a good shot at Columbia & NYU. Basically my dream schools. This is awesome. Thank you so much :)

Also, I have been reading it's a good idea to include an addendum if the scores are more than 4-5 points apart. However, I have no good reason except that I studied/practiced a lot more this time around.

I was in virtually the same position. 167/172 -3.88. Did an addendum explaining I was sick on test day (which was true) and was accepted at CCN,uPenn,UVa,Duke . Really CCN on down. Dinged at Harvard ( they clearly average mutiple scores) and waitlisted at S.Didn't apply to Y. Apply early ( by Oct) and do "Why" essays. Oh got $135,000 at Chicago,$30,000 at CLS, $75000 at UPenn $105000 at UVa,$75000 at Duke.You can leverage one scholly off another. Go to ASW and make a good impression on the head of financial aid. Good luck to you. PM me if you have any questions




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], renc56 and 1 guest