How much do "Extra" factors impact acceptance?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Tainted_Praise

How much do "Extra" factors impact acceptance?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Just curious... Like someone who is the child of a celebrity, or maybe someone who invented something, or like someone who was an Olympic champion, etc. I know this is random. But just curious if law schools consider these things for bragging rights.

Gizmo

Re: How much do "Extra" factors impact acceptance?

Postby Gizmo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Very much. Attempt to accomplish these feats at the expense of your GPA.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:53 pm

If you're an olympic champion or you invent something that the adcom has heard of, that's actually significant and will give you an admissions boost.

Child of a celebrity, not so much.

Only things that make you truly stand out against other law applicants will give you a real boost above your numbers, and there aren't that many things. Even things like Teach for America and Peace Corps don't help that much because so many other people do these as well and a big hunk apply to law school.

I had a friend who was a Truman Scholar with a high GPA but a lackluster LSAT score and he got shut out at all of the T14 except for Berkley.

Unless you're truly exceptional, expect the cycle to go mostly by your numbers. Granted, softs never hurt you, and a real lack of them can hurt you, but it takes something special to make up for more than a few points on the LSAT.

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Being a child of a celebrity probably wouldn't help you get in, but it'll help you write an interesting personal statement.

fixxion

Postby fixxion » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:58 am

If your a Bush or a Kennedy then def it helps to be a celebrity's kid. If not then...... sorry.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:42 am

Gizmo wrote:Very much. Attempt to accomplish these feats at the expense of your GPA.

:roll:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:55 pm

To do: invent some random Home Shopping Network bullshit...
get into an awesome school
profit

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:21 am

JamMasterJ wrote:To do: invent some random Home Shopping Network bullshit...
get into an awesome school
profit

Just imagine how much easier this would be if Billy Mays hadn't cut his coke with Oxy Clean....

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:34 am

Gizmo wrote:Very much. Attempt to accomplish these feats at the expense of your GPA.

Accomplishing being the son or daughter of a celebrity could be a tall order. :lol:

But seriously, very strong softs can make a major admissions difference. One example (verified by NYTimes) is the author of the book Prozac Nation, who is white (as far as I know) but got into Yale with a 160 flat. I'm fairly sure that her soft of being a well-known author was basically what got her in.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 am

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:Being a child of a celebrity probably wouldn't help you get in, but it'll help you write an interesting personal statement.

This isn't always true - I offer an example:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=157335

Return to “What are my chances?”