What are my chances? Please let me know

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
peppamintt

What are my chances? Please let me know

Postby peppamintt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm

My application is going to be very unique. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad. But please let me know what my chances are, even if it's not that high. I prefer honesty!!

Stats -
GPA: 3.49
LSAT: 174 (On all practice tests, never below 172 taking it in oct)
Major: Business Administration
School: Top 20 university and Top 10 business school

Achievements -
Business Honors Cohort program
VP of Pre-law Society for 1 year
Student Ambassador for Business School
Investing Society (Member)
Dean's List - Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Spring 2011
Co-founder/President of Non-profit providing food/education to orphans in India
President's award for Academic Excellence - High School
Varsity sport - high school (all 4 years)
Tutor for elementary/middle school kids since senior year in high school (still do it)

Interesting facts -
--Transferred schools twice. Fall 2007 (One School), Spring 2008 - Spring 2009 (Second school), Fall 2009 - Fall 2011 (third school)
--Reason: first college was out of state (good school) but had to transfer back home when my mom (sole parent) fell extremely sick. transferred to a not-so-great school. Mom got okay by spring of 2009 so decided to transfer to a top school. Landed into top 20 school, one of the top 5 in California.
--Worked 20-30 hours every semester to help support my family through financial troubles. Caused a slip in grades, but never got below a 3.3 any semester. 75% of grades are A/A-.
--Excellent writer. Met admissions counselor who accepted me into current school and she said I had excellent essays.
--Wanted to be a lawyer since I was 12 (no joke).
--Have had a lot of ups/downs in life, such as losing a parent, both grandparents, and uncle all during last 4 years of college. impacted grades a lot, but still managed to get away with good grades since I am very determined about my goals.

I don't know if I missed any details, but so far, this is it. What do you think? My top three choices are Columbia, NYU and Cornell.

admisionquestion

Re: What are my chances? Please let me know

Postby admisionquestion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:28 pm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:29 pm

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:04 pm

No intention to flame, and the first reply pretty much speaks for itself. I just wanted to address the "uniqueness" of your application.

Most of the stuff you can put in an addendum regarding transferring and family stuff.

And the stuff about varsity sport in high school, memberships in different extracurriculars, volunteering - its pretty run of the mill stuff for most Law School Applicants. Listing high school achievements, as amazing as they may be, makes you come off douchey and never having left the "high school bubble."

When writing your personal statement, as much as you seriously have wanted to be a lawyer since 12, don't use that statement unless you want the adcomms to roll their eyes.

From what I gather, some good softs have been Peace Corps or TFA, or some relevant WExperience (executive) or military.

good luck to you.

peppamintt wrote:My application is going to be very unique. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad. But please let me know what my chances are, even if it's not that high. I prefer honesty!!

Stats -

Achievements -
Tutor for elementary/middle school kids since senior year in high school (still do it)

Interesting facts -
--Transferred schools twice. Fall 2007 (One School), Spring 2008 - Spring 2009 (Second school), Fall 2009 - Fall 2011 (third school)
--Reason: first college was out of state (good school) but had to transfer back home when my mom (sole parent) fell extremely sick. transferred to a not-so-great school. Mom got okay by spring of 2009 so decided to transfer to a top school. Landed into top 20 school, one of the top 5 in California.
--Worked 20-30 hours every semester to help support my family through financial troubles. Caused a slip in grades, but never got below a 3.3 any semester. 75% of grades are A/A-.
--Excellent writer. Met admissions counselor who accepted me into current school and she said I had excellent essays.
--Have had a lot of ups/downs in life, such as losing a parent, both grandparents, and uncle all during last 4 years of college. impacted grades a lot, but still managed to get away with good grades since I am very determined about my goals.

I don't know if I missed any details, but so far, this is it. What do you think? My top three choices are Columbia, NYU and Cornell.
Last edited by xChiTowNx on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:06 pm

peppamintt wrote:VP of Pre-law Society for 1 year

lol

The most unique and interesting thing about you is your 174.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Make sure to highlight the fact that you played varsity sports all four years in high school. A soft like that will ensure that you outperform your numbers.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Surprised you guys have missed that he hasn't even taken the LSAT yet.

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Come back with a real score.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:03 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Surprised you guys have missed that he hasn't even taken the LSAT yet.

In that case lawl OP, enjoy LSN.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:42 am

Hey,

I did not miss that. I do not get why you assumed I did.

Explain.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:17 am

peppamintt wrote:My application is going to be very unique. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad. But please let me know what my chances are, even if it's not that high. I prefer honesty!!

Stats -

Achievements -

Interesting facts -

Two numbers are the only things that matter. So far, you have only one. Come back when you get a real score.

peppamintt

Postby peppamintt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:42 pm

wow. way to be rude guys. as for taking the real LSAT, i've taken over 50 practice tests and each one has been between 172-180 so I am safe to assume I will at least get over a 172.

As for the talk about the uniqueness in my application:

1. i was never planning on writing an essay about me wanting to be a lawyer since i was 12.
2. the reason i stated family stuff is that it impacted my performance and ability to have 100000s of cocurricular activities like other applicants.
3. raising my younger sister while full-time college and 30 hours a week of work while my mother was sick i think is something that i should mention to them. not using it as a leverage, but everyone else might find this weird but i did chose family over school and career.
4. i am passionate about what i wanna do in my future, and i will be sure to reflect that on my application.
5. interesting facts that i listed are to inform my hurdles in the journey. many of you might not have an idea of what a hurdle in life is, but it definitely impacts your ability to give 100% to something you want.

thanks for the feedback. felt more like a bashing.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 pm

peppamintt wrote:wow. way to be rude guys. as for taking the real LSAT, i've taken over 50 practice tests and each one has been between 172-180 so I am safe to assume I will at least get over a 172.
\

Granted, TLS can be harsh, but there is a fair amount of unpredictability about the actual test (some people score lower than any of their practices I think), which is why the general wisdom is that it is hard to chance someone prior to the actual test. In your case it sounds like you probably or almost definitely will hit 170s if you have literally never scored below a 172 on a practice. But that does still remain to be seen.

I think if you do hit mid-170s you will have an excellent shot at CCN, but probably out at Y/H/S due to the GPA.

Return to “What are my chances?”