3.7/173

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tutu

3.7/173

Postby tutu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:07 pm

I have a 3.7 GPA from a pretty good school (US News top 20 university, though I don't think UG matters that much). There was a major upward trend in my grades after sophomore year. I got a 173 on the LSAT. I'm applying to law school this fall, and I'm planning on getting my apps in ASAP, hopefully by the beginning of October. My extracurriculars were fine, nothing special. I'll have two years of WE by the time I enroll in law school. I'll have two pretty good recs, and I could get a really good one from my current boss.

What are my chances in the t14? I'm planning on blanketing the t14, minus Y and perhaps HS. Ideally I want $$ somewhere in the t14, but more importantly I'd like to go to Columbia, Berkeley, Chicago, NYU, or Penn. Is this realistic? Anything I can play up (or should avoid) in my PS to make me more desirable for these schools? Is the rec from my boss worth asking for, if my PS includes something about current job?

Thanks!

bk1

Re: 3.7/173

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:14 pm

tutu wrote:I have a 3.7 GPA from a pretty good school (US News top 20 university, though I don't think UG matters that much). There was a major upward trend in my grades after sophomore year. I got a 173 on the LSAT. I'm applying to law school this fall, and I'm planning on getting my apps in ASAP, hopefully by the beginning of October. My extracurriculars were fine, nothing special. I'll have two years of WE by the time I enroll in law school. I'll have two pretty good recs, and I could get a really good one from my current boss.

What are my chances in the t14? I'm planning on blanketing the t14, minus Y and perhaps HS. Ideally I want $$ somewhere in the t14, but more importantly I'd like to go to Columbia, Berkeley, Chicago, NYU, or Penn. Is this realistic? Anything I can play up (or should avoid) in my PS to make me more desirable for these schools? Is the rec from my boss worth asking for, if my PS includes something about current job?

Thanks!

Why not Northwestern since you have 2 years of WE?

ETA: I see that you plan on blanketing the T14 anyway

tutu

Postby tutu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:21 pm

bk1 wrote:http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

Law school numbers make it look like I'll do okay, but because of the sample size I don't want to put too much faith in it. Law school predictor says I'm a "Consider" at CCNB, which is not great and makes me think my expectations are unrealistic. So I was hoping for a third opinion.

And oops, I mis-typed the most important part, my bad. I have to pay for the apps myself, so I'm just going to "blanket" t7. So really not blanketing at all, I'd just been reading a lot "blanket t14" in other forum posts and spaced out while typing. Of the lower t14, which make sense to apply to? And are my chances at CCNB iffy enough that I should just blanket after all?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:24 pm

tutu wrote:Law school numbers make it look like I'll do okay, but because of the sample size I don't want to put too much faith in it. Law school predictor says I'm a "Consider" at CCNB, which is not great and makes me think my expectations are unrealistic. So I was hoping for a third opinion.

And oops, I mis-typed the most important part, my bad. I have to pay for the apps myself, so I'm just going to "blanket" t7. So really not blanketing at all, I'd just been reading a lot "blanket t14" in other forum posts and spaced out while typing. Of the lower t14, which make sense to apply to? And are my chances at CCNB iffy enough that I should just blanket after all?

LSP is based off of LSN data. People's opinions on this board are based off of LSN data and anecdotes. It really doesn't get much better than LSN.

If you want large scholarships it would be worthwhile to apply to most of the T14.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:31 pm

HYS will be tough, but at least one of CCN should take you (likely NYU). $$ at MVP

bmore

Postby bmore » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:36 pm

A lot of Top 14s will give you fee waivers, so approach them early. Some will give you the money back later,eg. Cornell.

You have the LSAT for most of the Top 14 (4-14). Your GPA is good but not great for some that weigh that more heavily. Contrary to some opinions, I think you may see some yield protecting in the middle. Write the "why" essays. This should help. Apply early.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:36 pm

bk1 wrote:LSP is based off of LSN data. People's opinions on this board are based off of LSN data and anecdotes. It really doesn't get much better than LSN.

If you want large scholarships it would be worthwhile to apply to most of the T14.

All of this, especially the bolded.

Don't worry too much about application fees, you'll have to pay for HYS but with a 173 you should be receiving waivers from many of the other schools in the T-14. (and if you don't - email them and ask for waivers).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:39 pm

NYU looks very promising according to the graph at lawschoolnumbers.com.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:16 pm

We're stats twins... :) PM me if you want to discuss strategies!

tutu

Postby tutu » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks for the advice everyone!

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:51 am

I was just browsing through this forum and I noticed that you're applying with exactly the same numbers I applied with last cycle. I wrote my PS and applied at the last second, went to a mediocre state undergrad, didn't really have an upward trend, applied straight out of UG with minimal softs, etc. Basically, you have my numbers with a few little extra boosts. With that in mind here are a few observations and pieces of advice.

I think people tend to be a little pessimistic when advising people with roughly these numbers. I remember being told last year that I'd be lucky to get into one of CCN. Remember that you are roughly at (or just below) GPA median for all three and above LSAT median for all three (above 75th in the case of Chicago). NYU is very likely to accept you and the other two are far from long shots provided you apply early and work hard on your apps.

To avoid yield protection apply early and consider tailoring your apps. As I said, I applied really late last cycle and the result was that I got in at Columbia/NYU and YPed everywhere else.

The advice on here is pretty solid. Polish your apps, get them in early, blanket the T14. The top schools are always difficult to predict, but I'd be amazed if you fail to get one of CCN. Penn should be pretty safe. Berkeley is difficult to predict. There especially you should really tailor your app. I know they claim to give more of a boost for strong UG/UG major than other schools.

Good luck!

Return to “What are my chances?”