What schools should I choose?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sh87

What schools should I choose?

Postby sh87 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:53 am

My GPA in undergrad was 88/100 (Canadian University..... got all the top distinction type stuff....), I finished my grad studies at UCLA with a gpa of 3.7/4 (all in electrical engineering). I have 6 internship experiences, and my LSAT score was 168. I was wondering what types of schools to apply for and what are my chances. I want to practice intellectual property law in the future. I was thinking..

Stanford
Berkeley
Columbia
George Washington
NYU
U-Toronto
UCLA

Do I have a chance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bhan87

Re: What schools should I choose?

Postby bhan87 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:23 am

sh87 wrote:My GPA in undergrad was 88/100 (Canadian University..... got all the top distinction type stuff....), I finished my grad studies at UCLA with a gpa of 3.7/4 (all in electrical engineering). I have 6 internship experiences, and my LSAT score was 168. I was wondering what types of schools to apply for and what are my chances. I want to practice intellectual property law in the future. I was thinking..

Stanford
Berkeley
Columbia
George Washington
NYU
U-Toronto
UCLA

Stanford, Columbia, NYU are out. Berkeley is bit of a black box, but depending on your softs / PS your app could go either way there. Probably in at UCLA and definitely in at GWU

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 am

sh87 wrote:My GPA in undergrad was 88/100 (Canadian University..... got all the top distinction type stuff....), I finished my grad studies at UCLA with a gpa of 3.7/4 (all in electrical engineering). I have 6 internship experiences, and my LSAT score was 168. I was wondering what types of schools to apply for and what are my chances. I want to practice intellectual property law in the future. I was thinking..

Stanford
Berkeley
Columbia
George Washington
NYU
U-Toronto
UCLA

Columbia usually looks for higher LSAT scores, as does NYU. Your 168 falls below their 25%; to be a decent candidate for those schools, you want to be at their median or higher. Similar story for Stanford, but I actually think you have a better chance at S than at NYU/Columbia, due to your internships, EE degree, and IP focus.

UCLA in, Berkeley probably in as well.

You'll have many people tell you this: your LSAT score is killing your chances at the schools you seem to be most interested in. US law schools will translate your 88/100 (however stratospheric it may be) into "superior," "above average," "average," etc.

Edit: For U-Toronto - I don't know what an 88/100 means, but if that's an incredible score, you likely have a solid chance. Your LSAT score also exceeds the median.

sh87

Postby sh87 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:42 am

Yea.. that is one of problems that I have been worrying about...the conversion between Canadian grades and LSAC GPA. Using the charts on their website, my GPA is only around 3.5 which I don't think represents my "actual" grade. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes...... :cry:

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:49 am

Unfortunately, retake is the answer here. That magical 170 mark is ever so close for you.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:56 am

sh87 wrote:Yea.. that is one of problems that I have been worrying about...the conversion between Canadian grades and LSAC GPA. Using the charts on their website, my GPA is only around 3.5 which I don't think represents my "actual" grade. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes...... :cry:

What you need to do is call the schools to clarify your situation and ask them whether it's appropriate to write an addendum. I'm sure they'll know what's up, once they see your academic awards.

Also, I heard that the Canadian legal market is doing better than the US legal market - why are you bothering to come here?

sh87

Postby sh87 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 am

glewz wrote:
sh87 wrote:Yea.. that is one of problems that I have been worrying about...the conversion between Canadian grades and LSAC GPA. Using the charts on their website, my GPA is only around 3.5 which I don't think represents my "actual" grade. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes...... :cry:

What you need to do is call the schools to clarify your situation and ask them whether it's appropriate to write an addendum. I'm sure they'll know what's up, once they see your academic awards.

Also, I heard that the Canadian legal market is doing better than the US legal market - why are you bothering to come here?

Hmm... I always thought that the US would have more patents to file, and you would actually get to meet some of the inventors (although I am no expert). Plus, you guys get paid better salaries in IP at least, and I am a prestige whore (in terms of school names at least)......

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:53 am

sh87 wrote:
glewz wrote:

Hmm... I always thought that the US would have more patents to file, and you would actually get to meet some of the inventors (although I am no expert). Plus, you guys get paid better salaries in IP at least, and I am a prestige whore (in terms of school names at least)......

Oh fair enough - I forgot for a sec that you were EE & patent law intended. Well, good luck on your apps, and you should also take a look at the search function, as the website has likely addressed some of your concerns in a previous thread.

Return to “What are my chances?”