Law schools that admit someone with “life experience"?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TREG

Law schools that admit someone with “life experience"?

Postby TREG » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I have, what some might consider, an off the wall question…

I have wanted to be an attorney for as long as I can remember.

I went to college, undergraduate pre-law, for a year and a half and then ran out of money.

I studied federal consumer law on my own for the last five years and absolutely love it.

I have amassed a huge working knowledge of federal consumer law and federal consumer law litigation.

As a matter of fact, in a federal lawsuit I filed pro se against a national debt collection agency; a federal judge wrote in his written Opinion that I had “a working knowledge of federal consumer law and federal consumer law litigation far beyond that of most attorneys.”

I have since filed other lawsuits against national debt collection agencies and went up against their high powered law firms, and partners at those law firms that represent them, and have never lost.

I have even had a few of the defendant’s attorneys state to me point blank that I should go to law school and become a licensed attorney.

The problem is the aforementioned lack of finishing college.

Can anyone tell me what states have the most relaxed standards as far as becoming an attorney?

What, if any, law schools would admit someone with “life experience” in lieu of finishing college?

Thanks ahead of time for all of your help!

rinkrat19

Re: Law schools that admit someone with “life experience"?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Apparently, California residents can take the CLEP exam, study under a judge or lawyer for four years, take the "baby bar" exam and then take the actual California bar exam to become a lawyer without a college degree or law degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Bar_ ... dy_Program

But it'd probably be easier to just go back to school.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:58 pm

It looks possible, check out section 502(b) of the ABA admissions requirements.
--LinkRemoved--

Standard 502. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
(b) In an extraordinary case, a law school may admit to its J.D. degree program an applicant
who does not possess the educational requirements of subsection (a) if the applicant’s experience,
ability, and other characteristics clearly show an aptitude for the study of law. The admitting
officer shall sign and place in the admittee’s file a statement of the considerations that led to the
decision to admit the applicant.

Use your lawyering skills to argue that to adcomms, you pretty clearly fit the description.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:03 pm

power through an online degree at University of Phoenix?

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:05 pm

I would think that someone in OP's position would have to absolutely crush the LSAT to pull this off.

Return to “What are my chances?”