What LSAT Score do I need for Stanford?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jugzar

What LSAT Score do I need for Stanford?

Postby Jugzar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Hello,

I am prepping for LSAT right now to take it in Oct. On prep test at Kaplan I scored 172 without any prep (PoliSci/Phil double major) missed total of 9 questions 7 in logic games, I hear with practice I can get that number down to 1-2 which would put me in 177 range. I fall in the lower half of GPA's with my max possible GPA when I graduate in Dec sitting at 3.81 due to my freshman year. I am graduating from UCSD with distinguished honors from PoliSci department.

I have 3 letters of recommendations: 1. Chair of PoliSci dep. very personal as they used my thesis paper as the basis of research involving 2 grad students and 2 dept. ass. profs. 2. Dep. Attny Gen of CA San Diego region, he was my Environmental Law course prof.3. Chair of Phil dep. my Phil. of Law prof. also on the ethics board of USD Law School. Besides 5 C's and 1 B, I have mostly A+ and A's. C's are from community college before I decided I wanted to go to law school. C's are in Speech, PoliSci, Accounting, US History, and Health. B is in creative writing (I was learning English at that time, I am an immigrant). Besides my native language and English, I speak Russian (fluent), German (Fluent) and French (conversational). I interned for Meg Whitman's campaign for 6 mo., have been working full time, and have 3 kids.

I would like to know what score I need to shoot for if I want to get into Stanford. I am planning on studying Environmental and Energy Law and Stanford is ranked, from what I have seen so far, as #1 followed by UC Berkeley, Michigan, and UT Austin for this discipline.

I am hoping to apply in Oct or early Nov to increase my chances.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

El_Gallo

Re: What LSAT Score do I need for Stanford?

Postby El_Gallo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:35 pm

INBEFORESTANFORDISABLACKBOXANDTHATNOTEVENGODKNOWSWHOWILLBEALLOWEDTOENTER

mikeditkaisgod

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and check out Stanford's page. Look at people with GPA's close to yours and check out their LSAT's and whether or not they were accepted, denied, or waitlisted.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:28 pm

cmon. lame flame.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:29 pm

you would definitely need an LSAT score of over a 120 to get into Stanford.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:29 pm

178, fluency in 5 languages only two of which can be Romance languages, political internship of at least 7 months, 4 letters of recommendations & 5 kids.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 pm

I spoke personally with Stanford Admissions prior to submitting my application, and I also read Dean Deal's admissions blog (http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admissions/). Make sure you have a really really carefully crafted PS and think strategically about how you will structure your entire application; lots of applicants will have your numbers, so though you meet the minimum stats requirement, you need to do a great deal to distinguish yourself.

One thing that I'd like to ask you about is your motivation for pursuing environmental & energy law. Plenty of 0Ls want to save the environment, but I'm sure admissions boards critically evaluate whether these ambitions are real. You haven't really listed much of an env. background, so I hope you have a strong case for your interest.

Jugzar

Postby Jugzar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 pm

I work in environmental and energy controls business (Building Automation Controls, Energy controls, Air Quality Controls, etc.). I really like that whole green and alternative energy field, I see a lot of potential but too much politics is holding it back. I am not planning on "fighting for the environment", not an activist by nature, more like getting into energy companies or venture capital companies.

I know PS and DS are important and I have been working on both, but I should be ok, I am a good writer, at least as far as UCSD is concerned. I am going to intern with Cal AG's office after graduation; as I mentioned, my prof. is deputy AG for San Diego. He specializes in environmental litigation so it will be a fun experience. Due to my work, I have strong EE background, have been working with design engineers on several projects as a consultant and also have been training them on new products and their implementation etc. I could be on the level of EE grad with about 2 years of exp. in terms of my knowledge of electrical engineering.

Do letters of recommendation count for much? My letters should be very personal because all 3 of them know me personally, have had me in class and have read 4+ of my essays and research papers each, know my argumentative nature, two have even told me that being a lawyers is an ideal vocation for my personality and that I will have a blast in LS. My Hist of Supreme Court Prof is UofVirginia LS grad and he told me I shouldn't have any problem in LS, our midterm and final in 10 weak course involved 42 SC cases each with detailed briefs and broader implications, I got A+ in the class (only A+ out of 49 students) and I loved the class, probably the only student who found reading the Supreme Court opinions fun and interesting. I love reading, arguing (on any subject, mostly playing a devil’s advocate), writing, and generally enjoy intellectual challenge.

I just need to know what I should shoot for in terms of LSAT score because I have 2 summer sessions with 3 classes each; going to graduate 2 quarters ahead of the class so I can go intern with AG’s office. So I need to plan my summer accordingly, work and school do not leave a whole lot of time but I can make about 4 hours a day 5 days a week for studying for LSAT and I will have a partner who is also prepping for LSAT so that will help a lot.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Seriously, just shoot for as high an LSAT as possible. 3.81 is pretty low for Stanford, so you'll need every point. Even beyond that, Stanford IS pretty black boxy.

If you score below a 170-172 you'll have no shot, in my estimation. Anything 175+ gives you a decent shot, but you may still have an outside chance in the 173-174 area. For reference, I got straight up rejected with a 173 / 3.9, but someone with identical numbers to me got in off the waitlist.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Kronk wrote:Seriously, just shoot for as high an LSAT as possible. 3.81 is pretty low for Stanford, so you'll need every point. Even beyond that, Stanford IS pretty black boxy.

If you score below a 170-172 you'll have no shot, in my estimation. Anything 175+ gives you a decent shot, but you may still have an outside chance in the 173-174 area. For reference, I got straight up rejected with a 173 / 3.9, but someone with identical numbers to me got in off the waitlist.

Yes, 3.81 is low...but OP (are you flaming), have you not looked at the LSAT ranges? 167-170-173: 25-median-75. A 175+ doesn't necessarily give you a great shot unless you have competitive softs; plenty of high-scoring applicants don't get in with their 180s.

But it is clear, at least to me, that you should shoot for the highest score you can. There are other schools, such as Harvard & Yale, that are interested in high LSAT scores.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:43 pm

there is a poster on here who got into Stanford this cycle with like a 3.7/167 (non-URM in the most technical sense.) so yeah, no one knows

MaxWeber

Postby MaxWeber » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:38 am

glewz wrote:
Kronk wrote:Seriously, just shoot for as high an LSAT as possible. 3.81 is pretty low for Stanford, so you'll need every point. Even beyond that, Stanford IS pretty black boxy.

Yes, 3.81 is low...but OP (are you flaming), have you not looked at the LSAT ranges? 167-170-173: 25-median-75. A 175+ doesn't necessarily give you a great shot unless you have competitive softs; plenty of high-scoring applicants don't get in with their 180s.

But it is clear, at least to me, that you should shoot for the highest score you can. There are other schools, such as Harvard & Yale, that are interested in high LSAT scores.

OP fits the profile of the non-traditional student that is most often admitted at SLS----there are many others like him competing for the few coveted non-trad spots in the class, so anything to stand out at this point would be useful.

short answer: as high as possible; no less than a 170 to be competitive; but no guarantees.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:07 am

OP: Why would you "shoot for" anything lower than a score of 180 on the LSAT ? Especially when your simulated practice test from Kaplan was a 172 "without any prep" ?

Return to “What are my chances?”