Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby Samara » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:14 pm

My original plan was to apply next fall, but I'm getting antsy and considering applying this fall. The big advantages next year holds are the ability to apply earlier (I'm signed up for the October LSAT) and better softs. So, based on the below information, is there enough of a difference to wait? Additionally, if I test the waters this year and don't get the results I want, will that disadvantage me in applying next year?

My (hopeful) target is T14 or T25 w/$ and I want to work in Chicago.

This year:
3.08 LSAC GPA, 3.3 UGPA
175+ (this is my target score of course)
4 years of quality WE
Employer LOR
Various volunteer accomplishments

Next year:
3.08 LSAC GPA, 3.3 UGPA
175+ (this is my target score of course)
5 years of quality WE
MA in (semi-?)obscure arts-related field
Academic & Employer LOR
Additional volunteer accomplishments
Apply earlier

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby ebo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Take the LSAT, then worry about when to apply. Your score is valid for five years.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby Samara » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:20 pm

I know, I know, LSAT score or GTFO. I'd like some feedback before then, though, so that I can submit my app as soon as possible. If I decide to wait, the time I would spend on my app can be spent on LSAT studying.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Apply this fall. The worst that can happen is you are unhappy with your cycle and you apply again the following year. Best case scenario, you start (and finish) school a year earlier.

Avon Barksdale
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Samara wrote:I know, I know, LSAT score or GTFO. I'd like some feedback before then, though, so that I can submit my app as soon as possible. If I decide to wait, the time I would spend on my app can be spent on LSAT studying.


If you would prefer to wait a year, wait a year. If you would prefer to apply now, apply now.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 pm

You're being premature without a real LSAT.

That being said, why not apply to a couple schools this year that you want to go to (I'm thinking just NU/UChi/WUSTL/Illinois) and see if you like the results.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:07 pm

I'd wait a year and see if this economic stagnation turns into a recession or works itself out.

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:13 pm

bk1 wrote:You're being premature without a real LSAT.

^ but, anyways, good luck on the 175+! I'd personally wait until next year

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby Samara » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:40 pm

bk1 wrote:You're being premature without a real LSAT.

That being said, why not apply to a couple schools this year that you want to go to (I'm thinking just NU/UChi/WUSTL/Illinois) and see if you like the results.

+1

If I go this route, should I ED to one or is the boost not worth the commitment?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Samara wrote:If I go this route, should I ED to one or is the boost not worth the commitment?


Check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com to see what happens to people with various LSAT/GPA combos at those schools.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:17 am

Samara wrote:
bk1 wrote:You're being premature without a real LSAT.

That being said, why not apply to a couple schools this year that you want to go to (I'm thinking just NU/UChi/WUSTL/Illinois) and see if you like the results.

+1

If I go this route, should I ED to one or is the boost not worth the commitment?


What happens if you ED and the financial package isn't something you want to deal with...? That would be my concern. If you're not dead set on this fall, I wouldn't ED and then ED to your top choice the year after if you don't get in as a regular decision applicant this fall.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Should I apply this year or next? (3.08/175+)

Postby Samara » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:46 am

bk1 wrote:
Samara wrote:If I go this route, should I ED to one or is the boost not worth the commitment?


Check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com to see what happens to people with various LSAT/GPA combos at those schools.

Ugh, there are so few examples to compare, it's frustrating. Based on the most recent numbers, UChicago looks out of the question. But, older cycles have a couple examples of similar splitters, so you never know I guess. Not using an ED this year seems to be the way to go if I do in fact apply.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], mcmand, Wipfelder and 6 guests