168, 2.67, TEFL in Asia (1 Year) - Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
StateSchoolSplitter

168, 2.67, TEFL in Asia (1 Year) - Chances?

Postby StateSchoolSplitter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:07 am

Average UG Softs (Club Leadership Posts, Student Government Work); Summer FT WE; P.T. WE Soph-Sr. years (GPA increased each year).

Eeked out my 168 (165-169 on practices)

Teaching English in Korea (How is this viewed in comparison to AmeriCorps or the PeaceCorps or entry level office positions in the U.S.?)

Chances @

GWU (ED, RD FT/PT) - FIRST CHOICE
NU
W&M
Illinois
WashU
BU
BC
SMU

Lawquacious

Re: 168, 2.67, TEFL in Asia (1 Year) - Chances?

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:14 am

StateSchoolSplitter wrote:Average UG Softs (Club Leadership Posts, Student Government Work); Summer FT WE; P.T. WE Soph-Sr. years (GPA increased each year).

Teaching English in Korea (How is this viewed in comparison to AmeriCorps or the PeaceCorps or entry level office positions in the U.S.?)

Chances @

NU
W&M
Illinois
WashU
BU
BC
SMU

I think you're overreaching given your GPA, unless you are URM. With a 2.67 GPA I think you have very little chances at any of those schools, even with a 168. Maybe SMU though if they are splitter-friendly (IDK). Normally I think a 168 would do the trick at WUSTL, but I don't know if they dip that low on GPA (I would think with that GPA you would need a 170+). Hopefully I'm being too pessimistic, but I think that GPA really puts you in very rough territory.

Edit: Maybe you will have some shot at GWU PT? Also, I really don't know anything on W&M and how splitter-friendly they are, so maybe you have some shot there. I think Illinois accepts splitters, but I'd still be pretty surprised if you made it in with that GPA. I think you'll get mostly rejects even at bottom of T50 because of your GPA, but I'm not saying don't apply to the schools you listed or are interested in; it is possible you could get some breaks, I just wouldn't count on it. But def see what others have to say too.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

StateSchoolSplitter

Postby StateSchoolSplitter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:18 am

Lawquacious wrote:
StateSchoolSplitter wrote:Average UG Softs (Club Leadership Posts, Student Government Work); Summer FT WE; P.T. WE Soph-Sr. years (GPA increased each year).

Chances @

NU
W&M
Illinois
WashU
BU
BC
SMU

I think you're overreaching given your GPA, unless you are URM. With a 2.67 GPA I think you have very little chances at any of those schools, even with a 168. Maybe SMU though if they are splitter-friendly (IDK). Normally I think a 168 would do the trick at WUSTL, but I don't know if they dip that low on GPA (I would think with that GPA you would need a 170+). Hopefully I'm being too pessimistic, but I think that GPA really puts you in very rough territory.

There are some sub-2.7s according to LSN for a few of those schools. As always, it's anecdotal and who knows...for every one sub-2.7 admit there could be 20 rejects with similar numbers :-( FWIW my transcript GPA is about .125 points higher (re-took an F).

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:24 am

StateSchoolSplitter wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

Chances @

NU
W&M
Illinois
WashU
BU
BC
SMU

There are some sub-2.7s according to LSN for a few of those schools. As always, it's anecdotal and who knows...for every one sub-2.7 admit there could be 20 rejects with similar numbers :-( FWIW my transcript GPA is about .125 points higher (re-took an F).

See my edit above too. I'm not trying to be a downer, and hopefully I am being at least a bit pessimistic. It is just that once the GPA gets to a certain point it can be problematic, even with a fairlly strong LSAT such as yours.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

StateSchoolSplitter

Postby StateSchoolSplitter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:26 am

Lawquacious wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

Chances @

NU
W&M
Illinois
WashU
BU
BC
SMU

See my edit too. Were those sub 2.7s URMs though? But even if not, you already acknowledged they are likely the exception. But I'm not trying to be a downer, and hopefully I am being at least a bit pessimistic. It is just that once the GPA gets to a certain point it can be problematic even with a considerably strong LSAT such as yours.

Not all URMs. A few WL/Accepts...some accepted right away (not sure why though...not often very much info on LSN pages).

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:27 am

What region of the country do you prefer to work in and live?

StateSchoolSplitter

Postby StateSchoolSplitter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:29 am

Lawquacious wrote:What region of the country do you prefer to work in and live?

D.C., NY, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas/Houston/Austin

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:41 am

Lawquacious wrote:What region of the country do you prefer to work in and live?

D.C., NY, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas/Houston/Austin

Well, I think you're on the right track by looking at the LSN graphs. I would target a range of schools (reach and target, target prob. being in T2 range, and reach any where from low to high T1) in each market you are looking at.

StateSchoolSplitter

Postby StateSchoolSplitter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:07 am

Anyone else? I hope my chances aren't this bleek. :-(

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:37 am

Chances @

NU
W&M
Illinois
WashU
BU
BC
SMU

GW - ED is only for top students (full scholly), defer to RD, then waitlist/reject
NU - out w/o 170+ and 2 yrs post grad work experience
W&M - waitlist
Illinois - Waitlist/reject
Wash U - Apply early, get some $
BU - reject
BC - reject
SMU - In with $$

You should also apply to more schools AND APPLY EARLY...

copy what this guy did with fewer safeties...expect similar results.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mrdavies/jd

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:07 pm

washU will take you as long as the rest of your app is good

Return to “What are my chances?”