Chances next cycle with THESE numbers?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ArtVandalay

Chances next cycle with THESE numbers?

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:55 am

3.18 LSAC GPA/171 LSAT.
No idea where to apply yet and whether or not im comfortable using my ED to UVA or attempting one at Michigan/Penn.

Michigan
Penn
Virginia
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
USC
Vandy
WUSTL
ILL
MINN
IUB
Iowa
BU
BC
ND
WISC

Also, predictions on $$$ offers? Or the best I could negotiate? Thanks!

ArtVandalay

Re: Chances next cycle with THESE numbers?

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:11 am

I've used LSP and gone through LSN, just wondering any strategies people would offer for applying and chances with my splitter numbers at any scholarships at these schools.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 am

I'm not sure what you already know re: common TLS knowlege, but you'll probably get a shit ton of money from WUSTL.

VA or Mich ED could be a possibility.
UCLA/USC love high GPAs
BU/BC/Minn aren't too splitter friendly, but you'll still probably get in with decent money

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 am

NYC Law wrote:I'm not sure what you already know re: common TLS knowlege, but you'll probably get a shit ton of money from WUSTL.

UCLA/USC love high GPAs
BU/BC/Minn aren't too splitter friendly, but you'll still probably get in with decent money

Thanks. Yeah I would love a shot at one of the CA schools but I know they love gpas. Is the money at WUSTL worth it over a school like Cornell? I'd obviously take Michigan ED if I could but that's a lot of money. Any other good places to apply that I missed?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:04 am

ArtVandalay wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I'm not sure what you already know re: common TLS knowlege, but you'll probably get a shit ton of money from WUSTL.

UCLA/USC love high GPAs

Thanks. Yeah I would love a shot at one of the CA schools but I know they love gpas. Is the money at WUSTL worth it over a school like Cornell? I'd obviously take Michigan ED if I could but that's a lot of money. Any other good places to apply that I missed?

It is if you know you want to be in the Midwest.
You could also probably get Northwestern if you get some work experience.
You can also get some big $$$ from Emory if you don't mind the ridicule.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:18 am

Not sure about BC/BU with that GPA.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 am

Ridicule?

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:33 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Not sure about BC/BU with that GPA.

Yeah I know it's far from a lock but I think I have a shot at at least one of them. Maybe BU off the WL. Anyone else have any input?

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 am

ArtVandalay wrote:3.18 LSAC GPA/171 LSAT.
No idea where to apply yet and whether or not im comfortable using my ED to UVA or attempting one at Michigan/Penn.

Michigan
Penn
Virginia
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
USC
Vandy
WUSTL
ILL
MINN
IUB
Iowa
BU
BC
ND
WISC

Also, predictions on $$$ offers? Or the best I could negotiate? Thanks!

Same LSAT, slightly higher GPA (3.29), applied in December. I was WL at UVA ED, GULC, and BU. In at BC with 66k (some of which is need based), WUSTL with 84k, UIUC with 90k.

I think I could have gotten off the 'special-preferred' waitlist at Georgetown, but I didn't show any interest because I couldn't fathom paying sticker. If you do ED to UVA, do it on the first day possible. This year it seemed that September/October splitters were fine, but any later than that and you risk the WL.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks a lot that really helped!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:05 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Ridicule?

On this site: people making fun of Emory

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Yeah I've seen that a little. Why the hate on Emory? What am I missing? Not a great school but top 30ish isn't it?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Yeah I've seen that a little. Why the hate on Emory? What am I missing? Not a great school but top 30ish isn't it?

They went from 20 -> 22 -> 30 in 3 years, there are horror stories about their employment and OCD, the administration has a bad rep.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:15 pm

NYC Law wrote:
ArtVandalay wrote:Yeah I've seen that a little. Why the hate on Emory? What am I missing? Not a great school but top 30ish isn't it?

They went from 20 -> 22 -> 30 in 3 years, there are horror stories about their employment and OCD, the administration has a bad rep.

Essentially this.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Think of Emory as the Joe Biden of law schools

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Haha thanks. Although Emory is in the range of schools I'm applying I never considered it anyway or going there. But good to know. Any inside info on WUSTL? I've heard it's good only if you want to stay in the Midwest and everything but doesn't it at least have some national reach? Mostly growing in dc/NYC and possibly LA?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:25 pm

NYC Law wrote:Think of Emory as the Joe Biden of law schools

No way. Joe "Big Fuckin' Deal" Biden is a testament to the power of kicking ass and not bothering to take names.

Emory just... seems to have a lot of issues.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:27 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Haha thanks. Although Emory is in the range of schools I'm applying I never considered it anyway or going there. But good to know. Any inside info on WUSTL? I've heard it's good only if you want to stay in the Midwest and everything but doesn't it at least have some national reach? Mostly growing in dc/NYC and possibly LA?

I didn't choose to go there, but it seems like a really nice school. The thing to remember is most people end up around median, and median at WUSTL means you're probably stuck in the midwest. Applying there is useful though, because the almost guaranteed scholarship you will get is useful for negotiating with other schools.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:32 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
ArtVandalay wrote:Haha thanks. Although Emory is in the range of schools I'm applying I never considered it anyway or going there. But good to know. Any inside info on WUSTL? I've heard it's good only if you want to stay in the Midwest and everything but doesn't it at least have some national reach? Mostly growing in dc/NYC and possibly LA?

I didn't choose to go there, but it seems like a really nice school. The thing to remember is most people end up around median, and median at WUSTL means you're probably stuck in the midwest. Applying there is useful though, because the almost guaranteed scholarship you will get is useful for negotiating with other schools.

Thanks. I also know that at least some of the lack of national dispersion is due to self selection. Wouldn't it be possible with top 25% numbers or maybe 10-20 to get places in LA? Chicago is one of my top 2-3 cities I would want to work in anyway but am just wondering

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Highest ranking at sticker: UVA ED on September 1st.
Reasonable ranking with money: WUSTL, UIUC, IUB.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Definitely apply to WUSTL. The UG there is also very highly ranked (13 I think), so the lay prestige is always helpful if you get out of law later on.
WUSTL doesn't seem THAT regional, they still send 9% to the pacific, 14% to Mid Atlantic (NY, NJ), and 14% to South Atlantic (Includes DC).
So that's 37% going to major non-midwest markets (many more probably go to Chicago).
But I still wouldn't go if you weren't open to working in Chicago/StL

It does have pretty kick ass facilities though

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:54 pm

NYC Law wrote:Definitely apply to WUSTL. The UG there is also very highly ranked (13 I think), so the lay prestige is always helpful if you get out of law later on.
WUSTL doesn't seem THAT regional, they still send 9% to the pacific, 14% to Mid Atlantic (NY, NJ), and 14% to South Atlantic (Includes DC).
So that's 37% going to major non-midwest markets (many more probably go to Chicago).
But I still wouldn't go if you weren't open to working in Chicago/StL

It does have pretty kick ass facilities though

Thanks again. I am very interested in Chi, could be interested in DC/LA, and wouldn't mind Stl as a last resort if I could lateral out after a few years or however that works. I once went to Washu a long time ago and it was pretty amazing, probably even better facilities now. I have seen pictures it looks great. I would visit before deciding (my mom went there for UG, maybe that will help add a few $s ha ha)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Virginia ED because they respond within 15 days & that may be your best hope in light of your dismal GPA. But, if admitted to UVa, be prepared to pay sticker.

P.S. What is your primary concern ? Merit money ? Job prospects ? Location ?

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Virginia ED because they respond within 15 days & that may be your best hope in light of your dismal GPA. But, if admitted to UVa, be prepared to pay sticker.

P.S. What is your primary concern ? Merit money ? Job prospects ? Location ?

Not really many concerns at this point, bottom line is I want to get into the best school I can, with the most flexibility in terms of job location because I am not set on where I want to be yet but have a lot of different possibilities. Avoiding paying sticker would be nice but is not a make-or-break aspect for me at this point (I have some money saved away, partial help from parents, wouldn't need to take out full, super-sized loans). The only problem is with ED UVA I'm not 100% sure yet if I would want to go there to Charlottesville over some other possibilities, factors, but I understand that is probably my highest chance and I would find out in 15 days. Would prefer Michigan to UVA but I know that is going to be tougher even with ED.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Apply to Michigan ED & see what happens since it seems to be your first choice.

Return to “What are my chances?”