Chances at NYU Early Decision? 3.94/cancel, 168, cancel

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Chances at NYU Early Decision?

<30
41%
30-40
29%
40-50
12%
50-60
12%
>60
6%

Total votes: 17

dabird122

Chances at NYU Early Decision? 3.94/cancel, 168, cancel

Postby dabird122 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:25 pm

GPA is from a T20 undergrad, Phi Beta Kappa. 1.5 years of non-MBB (think Accenture) consulting work experience. Very strong letters of rec. One from MVP Law Prof in a grad level class that I booked 1st of 200 students, if that matters. Strong leadership and community service experience too.

First cancel was due to death of a parent (I messed up and never should have taken it; will write addendum). Second cancel I simply thought I could improve and didn't want to stand pat on my score.

I know it's a long shot given my low LSAT. Law school predictor says consider but this seems way too optomistic, given what I've read on here. Not too many data points with my numbers on Law School Numbers, sadly.

Any tips or opinions as to my chances would be much appreciated. NYU is my dream school. tyia

tgir

Re: Chances at NYU Early Decision? 3.94/cancel, 168, cancel

Postby tgir » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Your LSAT is obviously a huge impediment, especially since NYU's admissions practices seem to lean pretty far towards the numbers-obsessed end of the spectrum. Even a single additional point on the LSAT would make a big difference, because you'd at least not be in the position of bringing down their 25th percentile stat.

That said, I think you have some shot, especially if you get your app in very, very early (with the early decision contract, of course). NYU may take the opportunity to lock down a nice high GPA early on in the process.

Past NYU EDers, correct me if I'm wrong, but there's also a solid chance that NYU will hold over your application until very late in the process ("defer" your ED application, or whatever they call the process). In this case, they'll keep you waiting a long time and then only let you in if they need to boost their GPA stats at the very end and also have some wiggle room on their LSAT stats.

So it's possible for you to get in with your current stats, but you'd save yourself a ton of uncertainty and drawn out waiting if you just gained a few points on the October LSAT.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Unless you like UVA more than M or P, I would ED to M or P and secure your position at one of these schools. I do not think your chances at NYU are that great. However, if UVA is your second choice behind NYU, then go ahead and ED to NYU because you could always change your UVA application to ED if the former doesn't come through.

Best of luck.

dabird122

Postby dabird122 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks you both for your thoughts! UVA/Boalt is my second choice. I looked at some previous NYU ED threads. Looks like people know by Dec 31 if they're in/deferred/rejected. I think I'll apply NYU ED and VA RD in early September and then flip UVA to ED if/when I get ding'd.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:11 pm

dabird122 wrote:Thanks you both for your thoughts! UVA/Boalt is my second choice. I looked at some previous NYU ED threads. Looks like people know by Dec 31 if they're in/deferred/rejected. I think I'll apply NYU ED and VA RD in early September and then flip UVA to ED if/when I get ding'd.

FWIW, I've heard UVa is changing their policy soon regarding 'flipping' RD/ED, and we may not be able to do it this cycle.

I don't have a source other than 'heard people mention it' though, so if someone knows better feel free to correct/confirm.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Your poll percentages are too generous, in my opinion. What % of ED applications does NYU accept ?

dabird122

Postby dabird122 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Not sure how many get in ED. On the website NYU said it doesn't give too much of a boost to ED, so ya--doesnt look to good for me... Oh well. Here's to hoping, man.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:27 am

Apparently it's not impossible: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/risque/jd

I'd ED to NYU if you really want to go there. It's what the ED process is for anyhow. That GPA will get you a second look despite the LSAT score, even with a numbers obsessed chop shop like NYU.

Lisi

Postby Lisi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:26 am

I'm not sure NYU is as numbers obsessed as it seems. I think with borderline candidates, they really read the applications. With that said, it's very hard to judge how good your softs are because you really don't know the other applicants. You're a borderline candidate, but I think your chances would be much improved if you could score even a point or two better on the October LSAT. NYU may hold your app until late April, so at some point you'll probably lose the ED advantage because they'll be looking at you in terms of all of the other applicants. I know a lot of law schools hype the "we want those who want us" tagline, but I just haven't seen enough evidence of this. NYU is in demand and a borderline candidate with slightly better numbers and/or a more convincing app will probably get picked over you. IMO, it's more difficult and time-consuming to improve your softs substantially than it is to improve your LSAT score.

For what it's worth, I got into NYU RD with a 3.78/170. I think the other components of my app helped (I'm a non-traditional candidate), but I think that if my numbers were worse (since I see them as borderline), I'd have been in trouble.

Return to “What are my chances?”