2.6 / 165 (Extenuating Circumstances for low GPA) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ex8

New

2.6 / 165 (Extenuating Circumstances for low GPA)

Post by Ex8 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:58 pm

(Extenuating Circumstances for low GPA)

Haven't actually taken my LSAT yet (it's this monday), but I've been taking a prep test a day and 165 is my minimum.

I know my GPA is horrifyingly low, but I suffered from a serious illness throughout my college career. Until a recent surgery a few months that (hopefully) fixed the problem, my time at college has been riddled with at least 4 hospitalizations that each lasted 2 weeks, a major surgery, pain even when I wasn't in the hospital, and constant medication that made it hard to concentrate. Additionally, my parents quite literally forced me into engineering by telling me they wouldn't pay for my school if I did something else, and it took them three whole years to finally cave; at which point I switched to psychology. Even since switching to Psychology/After surgery my GPA from those courses onward has been about a 3.8.

I'm hoping to get into a law school that isn't third tier. While I know they aren't complete dead ends, my understanding is that going to a third tier law school means you really have to work your way up from the bottom rung. If I could get into U of H or better I would be happy. If I have to set my sights lower, then I'll hate that, but oh well.

I'll obviously leave out my whole "parents forced me to do something else" sob story on my application, but I quite literally have zero idea how much slack a serious illness and ex-engineering major combo will get me. I'm hoping ex-engineering gives me some credit since those classes are infamous for being much harder than regular college.

d34d9823

Gold

Re: 2.6 / 165 (Extenuating Circumstances for low GPA)

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Ex8 wrote:(Extenuating Circumstances for low GPA)

Haven't actually taken my LSAT yet (it's this monday), but I've been taking a prep test a day and 165 is my minimum.

I know my GPA is horrifyingly low, but I suffered from a serious illness throughout my college career. Until a recent surgery a few months that (hopefully) fixed the problem, my time at college has been riddled with at least 4 hospitalizations that each lasted 2 weeks, a major surgery, pain even when I wasn't in the hospital, and constant medication that made it hard to concentrate. Additionally, my parents quite literally forced me into engineering by telling me they wouldn't pay for my school if I did something else, and it took them three whole years to finally cave; at which point I switched to psychology. Even since switching to Psychology/After surgery my GPA from those courses onward has been about a 3.8.

I'm hoping to get into a law school that isn't third tier. While I know they aren't complete dead ends, my understanding is that going to a third tier law school means you really have to work your way up from the bottom rung. If I could get into U of H or better I would be happy. If I have to set my sights lower, then I'll hate that, but oh well.

I'll obviously leave out my whole "parents forced me to do something else" sob story on my application, but I quite literally have zero idea how much slack a serious illness and ex-engineering major combo will get me. I'm hoping ex-engineering gives me some credit since those classes are infamous for being much harder than regular college.
Sadly, the number, not the story, is 90% of the decision making process. By all means present your case, but don't expect it to have much of an effect on your outcome.

Fortunately, there are schools that are (in)famous for taking students with low GPAs. If you can pull a 170, you have a shot at Northwestern and Virginia ED. If you can get a 167, you are virtually assured of WUSTL no matter what your GPA is (http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats ... Cycle=1011).

Good luck!
Last edited by d34d9823 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitter178

Silver

Re: 2.6 / 165 (Extenuating Circumstances for low GPA)

Post by glitter178 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Ex8 wrote:(Extenuating Circumstances for low GPA)

you will get almost zero "slack" for your circumstances. your GPA is low, period.

Return to “What are my chances?”